Sending back HR21 refurb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rise&demise

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Carolina
My account was eligible for another free HDDVR so I took advantage of it. To my dismay, I received an HR-21 refurb (and it didn’t even come with the necessary DECA adapter). I decided to send it back and have another one shipped to me in hopes of getting an HR-24 but I am not too optimistic based on what others have been receiving. I was told that if I didn’t like the next one I would have to order from solid signal at full retail and would NOT receive any discounts or credit to offset the cost. I tried, unsuccessfully, to negotiate for a discounted HR-34. I would have been happy with $199 but they could only get me to $299 plus $49 installation.

See if they will credit you to buy from a retailer, or have an installer comeout to "install", though it is more like deliver, and then you can request the tech to bring a HR24 when they call to confirm (or refuse the install if they bring another old refurb).

Latest word is some areas are short on new box inventory, thus more refurbs going out, so it could be tought to get through Directv.

If you end up staying with one of the refurbs, being free and all, Directv may send you a DECA if you ask. Otherwise I have one cheap in the classified forum here.

I got a refurb HR21 as well when I upgraded a few weeks ago. But the rep gave me a $100 credit if I bought a HR24 from Solid Signal. Since they won't give you a credit, I would also suggest to have a technician bring one out to set up. Your chances of landing a HR24 are much greater that way vs having one shipped from DTV. My old HR21 just died Monday and the tech replaced it with a new HR24. If you live in North Carolina, you might land one. I'm not sure which Carolina you're from.

It happened to work out as I'm looking at a brand new HR-24 that came in the mail today as a replacement. I think DirecTV saying they can't control which equipment you receive is only lip service;)

I also found it interesting that the first was shipped out of Stockbridge, GA and the second out of Carlisle, PA. Yeah right, you get whatever the equipment folks happen to pull...

I was also eligible for an hd dvr upgrade and got HR-24. I am surprised how fast it is compared to my HR-21. It is like night and day.

I was also eligible for an hd dvr upgrade and got HR-24. I am surprised how fast it is compared to my HR-21. It is like night and day.

I called tonight (because my bill was $11 more than the previous bills).....and ended up asking them to upgrade the refurb HR-20 they had sent me 6 mo ago. I was hoppin mad back then about them having sent me a scratch and dent after my original hr-20 had bit the dust. They gave me that same song/dance about not having any control over what gets sent out.

Tonight I agreed to the $49.99 upgrade and she assured me it would be nothing less than an HR-24 and possibly could be the 34.....so fingers crossed.

ps...
they offered $10 off for 6 mo, but I immediately countered telling her I wanted 12 mo and she agreed. Also gave me $5 off HD DVR for 6 mo.
I'll post back and let you guys know what shows up on my doorstep this coming week.

Bshef - this is not good.

Did they order a HD DVR or Home Media Center. If the order says HD DVR, you have ZERO chance of getting a HR34.

As for the promise of an HR24, DirecTV claims to have no way to control what is shipped, and with the exception of a few exceptional situations, like purchasing at full price ($700 range), this holds true.

What that CSR said could mean nothing, you very well could get a HR22 or similiar.

I recomend having an installer come out where you can turn them away (or back to their warehouse) if you are not satisified with the model they offer, or asking for a credit to your account to purchase an HR24 at retail ($199). IF they agree to that they will do the credit when you activate the receiver.

The fact that the CSR said it could be a HR34 makes me feel they may be well under-informed.

Craaaaaap....
OK, I'll call them back.....try and get the to agree to cancel and then try and talk them into having an installer come out.
Not sure what "pre-tense" my little script be to get this going but I'll muddle my way thru this til I'm satisfied....because in the end.....I'm the one paying for all this ...right?

Thanks for the heads up!

Edit--
called but they're closed!
-My account already shows a confirmation of a "shipped" HD-DVR....
sooooo, If it's "not" something better than an HR 21....I'm going to simply send it back and then complain.

Bshef - this is not good.

Did they order a HD DVR or Home Media Center. If the order says HD DVR, you have ZERO chance of getting a HR34.

As for the promise of an HR24, DirecTV claims to have no way to control what is shipped, and with the exception of a few exceptional situations, like purchasing at full price ($700 range), this holds true.

What that CSR said could mean nothing, you very well could get a HR22 or similiar.

I recomend having an installer come out where you can turn them away (or back to their warehouse) if you are not satisified with the model they offer, or asking for a credit to your account to purchase an HR24 at retail ($199). IF they agree to that they will do the credit when you activate the receiver.

The fact that the CSR said it could be a HR34 makes me feel they may be well under-informed.

Last edited:
EDIT-1
I'm on the phone with them AGAIN...and this rep sounds lil brighter.
I told him my plan was to go out and purchase an HR-24 or an HR-34.
He came back with an idea that they no longer even carry anything lower than an HR-24.
He's checking to confirm that they HR-24 is now the "lowest" model no. coming out of their warehouse since he suspects they no longer even carry the HR-20. (this begs the question about the HR-21?).
If he confirms HR-24 as their bottom of the line coming from the warehouse....I will then ask him to send an installer so I can refuse as suggested here in the thread.

EDIT-2
CSR told me it would be best that I purchase on my own and they will credit me the $100 when I call to activate!
Now....any suggestions......who to purchase from?

I called this morning....asked for retention, explained the situation that I'm looking to upgrade from the extemely troublesome....slow......dinosaur scratch and dent HR-20 they sent me to replace my crapped-out, broken hr-20 they originally gave me 5 years ago.
The guy immediately goes into the "we-don't-have-control-over-what-DVR-gets-sent-out" song and dance.....
I ask "what-if" I purchase my own DVR and you credit me??
Guy acts like he completely no longer understands english......he could not follow (acted like he couldn't follow?)... what I was asking him.
So, I very clearly explain (again), I want my DVR upgraded, what are my options....??
He goes back to square one with them sending me "whatever" from the warehouse for $149 and then I get $100 off....
I ask him if there are any "OTHER" options than this.....
He says no.

I ask if there is anyone else who can HELP ME?
"no, we all have the same information concerning this"....

Please...someone tell me the secret handshake .......... or do I simply go out purchase my own HR-34 and cut out DTV...?

(ps...they did "allow" me to cancel the newly ordered "whatever" from the warehouse)

Last edited:
My HR21 is working fine with the new HD GUI, but if I was re-upping for a 2 year commitment, I wouldn't be happy to be given one.

I'd be tempted to go out and purchase an HR-34. It is something that you will live with for years. The cost of the HR-34 really isn't that much considering how much you will pay over a 4 to 5 year period. Let's say you have an $80/mo bill, that's $960/yr. And $3840 over 4 years. Even if the price difference between the receivers is $300, it's a relatively small part of the total. Better to have nice equipment.

There are plenty of cases where the DIRECTV CSRs will credit you if you get a receiver from a third party. It never hurts to ask.

Status
Please reply by conversation.