Separator doesn't work with diplexors in line to DPP44?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Weird issue I encountered today. Added a pair of diplexors (Holland DPD2 5-2150MHz - 28VDC 2A passthru on sat side - blue label) between a DPP44 and a DPP Separator to bring the signal from OTA antenna in on the same cable. Switch test on the ViP622 would run 1-38 on one tuner and stick at 1 on the other. Obviously, it wasn't seeing any DPP equipment.

A 311 connected to the same line worked fine, the satellite and OTA signals coexisted with no issues. The same line plus a second feed (omitting the separator) worked fine for the dual tuner machine. (two feeds from DPP44, one with diplexors, one without)

The line in question is NOT going to port 1 of the DPP44, the power inserter is in a different room.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong or is there a known incompatibility here with the separator, diplexors and DPP44? I've seen the exact same diplexors work fine when the outside equipment is a Dish 1000.2. Do I need "different" or "better" diplexors in this situation?

Weird issue I encountered today. Added a pair of diplexors (Holland DPD2 5-2150MHz - 28VDC 2A passthru on sat side - blue label) between a DPP44 and a DPP Separator to bring the signal from OTA antenna in on the same cable. Switch test on the ViP622 would run 1-38 on one tuner and stick at 1 on the other. Obviously, it wasn't seeing any DPP equipment.

A 311 connected to the same line worked fine, the satellite and OTA signals coexisted with no issues. The same line plus a second feed (omitting the separator) worked fine for the dual tuner machine. (two feeds from DPP44, one with diplexors, one without)

The line in question is NOT going to port 1 of the DPP44, the power inserter is in a different room.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong or is there a known incompatibility here with the separator, diplexors and DPP44? I've seen the exact same diplexors work fine when the outside equipment is a Dish 1000.2. Do I need "different" or "better" diplexors in this situation?

Sounds to me like your separator is bad if both inputs read the switch and satellites without it.

Sounds to me like your separator is bad if both inputs read the switch and satellites without it.

Agreed. Either a bad seperator or a bad diplexor. The configuration you described is common and usually works flawlessly, even if the line in question is going to port 1 with a power inserter on it.

So if the separator is bad, why does it work fine when connected to the line without the diplexors?

I need to get a spare anyway.

So if the separator is bad, why does it work fine when connected to the line without the diplexors?

I need to get a spare anyway.

What about the jumper cables? Have you tried different cables? It should work so it's either the diplexers or the separator but check the cables too.

oh yeah, already tried all that, the separator is the only thing i didn't have a spare handy to swap out.

Did I mention already that the separator is working fine on every other feed from the DPP44 other than the one with the diplexors? :D Even tested with multiple receivers.

You're losing me here. You posted earlier that your receiver worked without the separator.

If you're saying the separator works without diplexers, then check your jumper between the separator and the diplexer.

Also, the jumper needs to be more than a few inches long. I've ran up on several trouble calls where the only problem was the installing tech made the jumper too short and the jumper was getting bent/crimped, thus interrupting the signal.

Make sure no braids are touching the stinger on your connectors. That will kill a signal in a heartbeat.

are you sure your diplexers hooked up wright way?
are you diplexers in between receiver and switch, or between dish and receiver with switch in line?

This works:

Code:
ViP622 input1&2 - separator - ---------------- - DPP44
Or this:
Code:
ViP622 input1 - diplexer - ---------------- - diplexer --- DPP44
       input2 - ------------------------------------------ DPP44
But not this:
Code:
ViP622 input1&2 - separator - diplexer ------- diplexer --- DPP44

wow that is mythtery. the way you showed you have 2 cables going to that receiver. have you tried both linens with

Code:
ViP622 input1&2 - separator - diplexer ------- diplexer --- DPP44

Try removing one diplexer at a time if you don't have spares. To see which one is not passing one of the blocks or commands.

I'll do that, if it works with barrels in place of one or the other diplexer, that rules out the patch cables at least.

Probably be a few days, lots of rain and I don't feel like messing with it right now.

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE 2 AMP DIPLEXERS, and not the 1 ampers on port 1 on the DP44 switch.....

I believe the Holland "Blue" ones are "2 amp" and the "Red" ones are one amp.

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE 2 AMP DIPLEXERS, and not the 1 ampers on port 1 on the DP44 switch.....

I believe the Holland "Blue" ones are "2 amp" and the "Red" ones are one amp.

That's what he's using:

"Added a pair of diplexors (Holland DPD2 5-2150MHz - 28VDC 2A passthru on sat side - blue label) between a DPP44 and a DPP Separator to bring the signal from OTA antenna in on the same cable."

good point, I'm not using them on port 1 because i was concerned about the current load from the power inserter. I do have the blue 2A ones though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)