separator vs. splitter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Separator and splitter look similiar, but I understand you can't use a splitter in place of a separator. But can one use a separator as a splitter to split out the VHF/UHF signals to serve two old TVs?

The separator is a specific piece of equipment to make the DishProPlus portion work correctly. If you try and use a splitter it wont work. Dish likes to use its own switches for obvious reasons :)

I don't understand the 2nd part....are you trying to combine a OTA antenna and the satellite cable into one? Thats a Diplexer

I understand the first part.

For the second part: I need to split the RF output from a receiver to serve two old TVs (barely used). Don't have a splitter handy, and there is an unused separater lying around. Can it be used as a splitter temperarily?

A seperator cannot be used as a splitter.
A seperator is kinda like a diplexor that seperates the "stacked" DBS band from the "normal" DBS band.

rjad said:
I understand the first part.

For the second part: I need to split the RF output from a receiver to serve two old TVs (barely used). Don't have a splitter handy, and there is an unused separater lying around. Can it be used as a splitter temperarily?

ah, ok...for that you can use any old RF splitter

rjad said:
Separator and splitter look similiar, but I understand you can't use a splitter in place of a separator. But can one use a separator as a splitter to split out the VHF/UHF signals to serve two old TVs?

A splitter will take one VHF/UHF signal path and divide it into two equal VHF/UHF signal paths.

A separator will take in one VHF/UHF signal path and separate it into one VHF path and one UHF path.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)