Series 1 DirecTv-with-TiVo calling DTV every hour!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bcronin

Original poster
May 20, 2005
Both my S1 DirecTv-with-TiVo receivers have been calling DirecTv (not TiVo) twice an hour since April 28. They are attempting to make the once-a-month call to DirecTv and it is failing every time. Further, I am not alone. It is happening to lots of people. Probably everyone with an S1 box. So far only a relative handfull of us have noticed. We've been tracking this down over on that "other" forum under the somewhat-misleading subject "Daily call every hour".

The conclusion we've come to is that someone accidentally (or perhaps deliberately, if you subscribe to conspiracy theories) deleted the password that the S1 boxes use to authenticate when they dial into DTV (because we've traced the activity that goes on during these failed calls and have seen quite clearly that the reason the calls are failing is a PAP/CHAP authentication failure).

So far DTV tech support seems totally clueless. If something is not done about this soon, eventually all S1 boxes will be locked out from using their remotes to order PPV (to say nothing of the thousands of "failed" calls per hour, every hour of the day, going forward forever). The captain of the Titanic just doesn't believe us that there's a big iceberg ahead.

Has anyone here seen the same issue and perhaps had any luck getting DirecTv to acknowledge the problem? Perhaps is more people start trying to convince DTV of the problem someone somewhere inside DTV with a modicum of professionalism will take it upon themselves to DO something (if there is anyone who actually meets that description there, which I am beginning to have my doubts about) ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.