Serious issues with signal, transponders due to wind, rain??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, that's expensive. First, those cheap signal meters are a complete waste of time. Not worth buying. Second, you can get a slimline 5 non-SWM LNB from many online vendors for less than $60. And if you buy from ebay, you can often find them for $25 or less.

Sure could. I've seen water travel from a dish to the receiver through a cable.

Might be a stupid question but can I snake the copper though the grounding blocks rather than having 4 pieces?

I don't see how, you have to have compression connectors.

Do you mean the ground wires? Not sure why you have so many!!

I'll bet you're right texasbrit, he's talking about the ground wires. You really only need one from the dish to a proper ground.

From the dish as well as the grounding blocks?
Yes. One ground cable from the dish to a grounding block. The grounding blocks should probably be connected together. Then one ground cable from a grounding block to the house ground.

So after fixing everything up and the tech spending 3 hours here, he's stumped. He was a but aloof but after changing some connectors, testing lines and switching the lnb, he does not know and said "it may be" the receivers or multi. He was in tge crawl space for 30 minutes, how the hell can he not know if it's the multi after bring down there with it.

Only other thing could be the lines from the multi to the receivers but I highly doubt that.

Considering the lightning/storm raped all 3 HDMI ports in our 42" Sammy, I think it did something to the receivers. I mean I'm still getting a bit of a shock in one if iur bedrooms when I tough the laptop or a DVD player

I'll bet you have a bad ground somewhere. Get a licensed electrician to check it out soon!

I still can't believe thus tech did not try to findle tube my signal

What does DirecTV do for lightning damage?

Nothing unless you have the premiere protection plan. Talk to your insurance company about lightning damage.

Yes. One ground cable from the dish to a grounding block. The grounding blocks should probably be connected together. Then one ground cable from a grounding block to the house ground.
The shield/connector will ground the two blocks. Grounding both with the same ground wire, can cause ground loop problems.

I have seen some people go as far as placing the leg on one Static block, under the other static block.

Because the hdmi cable has a ground, and that ground in the cable box also connects to the shield side of the Coax. It is very easy for lighting to get through. Same with the stinger on the coax. There are HDMI lightning protectors out there. But there is not much info on how well they work.

Proper grounding and lightning protection, along with a whole panel surge protector does help. But if it is a direct strike on the house, a tree in the yard, or close to you on a catv, telephone, power line. Nothing will stop it from frying stuff.

I'll bet you have a bad ground somewhere. Get a licensed electrician to check it out soon!
If you have a bad ground, that can affect the power going to the LNB. Also it's very dangerous.

Grounds all check out

I just cannot figure why one reciever gets hardly any HD Channels while the 2 HD DVR's get all but maybe 15 or so

I turned the dish about 20 degrees to get TNT, BBC, AMC and the MLB network but most others like ESPN, HBO and my locals went out

This all tells me it is a tuning issue

I also ordered a new 6x8 Zinwell switch just to be safe. I'll try that this week and still try to fine tune but man!!! A signal meter Would be handy

Grounds all check out

I just cannot figure why one reciever gets hardly any HD Channels while the 2 HD DVR's get all but maybe 15 or so

I turned the dish about 20 degrees to get TNT, BBC, AMC and the MLB network but most others like ESPN, HBO and my locals went out

This all tells me it is a tuning issue

I also ordered a new 6x8 Zinwell switch just to be safe. I'll try that this week and still try to fine tune but man!!! A signal meter Would be handy

The receiver that gets hardly any HD channels probably has a faulty or even missing B-band converter.
You are going about tuning the dish the wrong way. Ignore what channels you get. You can't tune the dish for just certain channels, that's not how it works. Use one receiver only. Rotate the dish until you get peak signals on the 101 transponders. Ideally you should use "dithering" to find the center of the 101 beam. If most of your 101 signals are not high 90s or even 100 then adjust elevation, again ideally use dithering. When your 101 signals are peaked, with high 90s/100 on most transponders (some carry spotbeams and will be low or even zero) then look at 99c, 103ca and 103cb. If your 101 is not peaked, there is no point in looking at 99c/103ca/103cb.....

With a properly peaked dish, 99c/103ca/103cb should have ALL transponders in the high 80s to mid 90s. Ignore 99s and 103 because those are all spotbeams.
If your 99c etc signals are not high 80s or up, use the FINE TUNING controls on the dish until you get them correct.

I still think you should get DirecTV to do this....the $50 callout charge is good value..

The receiver that gets hardly any HD channels probably has a faulty or even missing B-band converter.
You are going about tuning the dish the wrong way. Ignore what channels you get. You can't tune the dish for just certain channels, that's not how it works. Use one receiver only. Rotate the dish until you get peak signals on the 101 transponders. Ideally you should use "dithering" to find the center of the 101 beam. If most of your 101 signals are not high 90s or even 100 then adjust elevation, again ideally use dithering. When your 101 signals are peaked, with high 90s/100 on most transponders (some carry spotbeams and will be low or even zero) then look at 99c, 103ca and 103cb. If your 101 is not peaked, there is no point in looking at 99c/103ca/103cb.....

With a properly peaked dish, 99c/103ca/103cb should have ALL transponders in the high 80s to mid 90s. Ignore 99s and 103 because those are all spotbeams.
If your 99c etc signals are not high 80s or up, use the FINE TUNING controls on the dish until you get them correct.

I still think you should get DirecTV to do this....the $50 callout charge is good value..

Thx

Could a BBC attached to the H23 unnecessarily have hurt it?

All odds on the G23 are 0 as well

Could part of the multi be bad? Also, there is a thinner, non RF6 coax running from the multi to the H23, issue??

Gonna get 8 new coax connectors and 2 grounding blocks and also buy a cover to keep rain from directly hitting it.
The grounding blocks should be mounted so that the connectors point out to the sides. If you mount them horizontally, you're inviting water to run down the cable into the connectors. Even compression connectors can be "wallered out" by freezing water.

You should also have drip loops everywhere that there might be water running down cables into your connections.

It may be easier (or not) if you use a four-place ground block.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)