Serious issues with signal, transponders due to wind, rain??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MutantMike

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
So after our big storm with tons of rain and serious wind, lots of our HD channels do not work.

I have tried dialing in the 3 LNB Slimline-5 but I just cannot get all channels to come in at the same time. I am in Ohio 45656

I did read that replacing a multi or spliter could fix this since one of my receivers is showing 0's on all transponders on 101.

I replaced the multi weeks ago so it is not this but could the below pic be the issues? Are these splitters? Maybe I should replace these also......

IMG_1845_zpsa2ba6b44.jpg

Those connections look like sh*t. I would call and have those fixed as well as having your dish realigned.

Thanks. So these grounding blocks could be the issue all along. They effected one of our receivers for 2 years and now after tons of rain, it is effecting our other two HD-DVR's?

I can just replace them myself I think

:welcome to Satelliteguys MutantMike!

No doubt those connections are horrible and should be redone. Whoever did them needs remedial training. That may not be your problem, though. Can you post your signal strengths on all of the satellites? Pictures of the screens would be fine.

Your dish needs realigning, but it's not horrible. The zeros on 103ca/cb point to a bad cable somewhere, so clean up the ones you showed us at the ground block and see if that fixes it. If there are other cables that look like those then fix them, too.

Your dish needs realigning, but it's not horrible. The zeros on 103ca/cb point to a bad cable somewhere, so clean up the ones you showed us at the ground block and see if that fixes it. If there are other cables that look like those then fix them, too.

Cool thanks man

Gonna get 8 new coax connectors and 2 grounding blocks and also buy a cover to keep rain from directly hitting it

I have a tech coming out tomorrow but would like to dial in the signal by then so I can cancel his visit.

So should I try the azimuth first or the others? Also, dumb question but what is the little black adjustment with the numbers on the side of the dish mount? The other day I gave it a full turn and some station came in, but with that, others went out.

Make sure you get compression type connectors, not the crimp type. The small black knobs are for dithering, which is the fine adjustment of the dish alignment. I would first check to be sure all of the bolts are tight. That could be why your alignment is off. If the original installer did the dish the same way he did the connectors, you are better off letting the tech check everything out. Your numbers on 101 are pretty good, so the azimuth and elevation is probably okay. It's more likely the skew that's off a bit.

Yes, the signals are below DirecTV's quality threshold but not too bad. The big problem is the zero signals you see on 103ca and 103cb. It might be a cable but if so you might expect to see the same issues (missing even numbered transponders) on 110 and 119. So it might be an LNB issue, and that will need the tech to fix. If it were me I would not worry about alignment until the zero transponder signals were fixed.

No, it won't. The zero signals are not an alignment problem.

are the connectors the screw on the cable type? I never liked them! Plus rain can get into connectors, I always put some silicone sealer on the connectors to protect from rain.

Yeh, I think they're screw on. This setup had been good for 10 years but we've had hella rain in the past few weeks, super heavy downpours!!

The connectors screw onto the ground block, but the cable doesn't screw into the connector. They look like the compression type.

Yeh I think they are not.

So I think I am going to cancel the tech appointment and fix the coax and grounding block issue first then go from there. I mean I am not paying the tech to do that since I can do it myself.

If that does not fix the signal I will try to dial it it in and if that does not fix it I will call him back.

Could a small "nick" in coax leading into the crawlspace towards the multiswitch hurt much. I noticed it this morning, looks like a weed eater nicked it

btw...thanks so much guys!!

The zeros in the signal to me looks like a bad Lnb. If your going to dither make sure you loosen the elevation asmiuth and carriage nut on top of the mast

It could be a bad lnb, but with the condition of the connectors, it could easily be those, too. Since they are easy to fix, it's the place to start. A nick in the cable could be the problem, but less likely. It should still be fixed.

Yeah, that setup is in need of being redone. Looks like a Diyer did it or some lazy contractor. Who ever did those connections is causing a lot of Ingress & Egress issues. It is a wonder that it even worked.

Depending on the tech you get. You may end up getting that look of "why did you do it.". Cover yourself, and explain that the problem was there already. Not your doing. Those splitters need to be inside a box to keep them out of the weather. I took our old phone NID, and used it for the Satellite block to be inside, so that I do not have to deal with weather issues.

When you get everything fixed. Go through and use Di-Electric grease on all connections, including grounds. It should help keep any moisture from getting in there. Also get those splitters into a box to protect them.

If you got the rain storm we had on this past Saturday 6/7. My wife ended up watching OnDemand stuff that night. Due to there was nothing on the locals or sub-channels, that we get through the AM21N we have connected.

BTW. L-Com.com sells the NID enclosures, which also work for Satellite & CATV. They have a 3x3x1 inch, and 3x4x2 inch. You can also get them through hometech.com Here is one on Amazon.com It is $41 though. Amazon product ASIN B00EJWZVDQ
This one is a little cheaper. It is for sprinkler timers. But should work for protecting the splitters. Amazon product ASIN B000VYGMF2
Make sure the ground from only one splitter is made, and is also properly bonded to the home electric Earthing ground.

Yeah, that setup is in need of being redone. Looks like a Diyer did it or some lazy contractor. Who ever did those connections is causing a lot of Ingress & Egress issues. It is a wonder that it even worked.

Depending on the tech you get. You may end up getting that look of "why did you do it.". Cover yourself, and explain that the problem was there already. Not your doing. Those splitters need to be inside a box to keep them out of the weather. I took our old phone NID, and used it for the Satellite block to be inside, so that I do not have to deal with weather issues.

When you get everything fixed. Go through and use Di-Electric grease on all connections, including grounds. It should help keep any moisture from getting in there. Also get those splitters into a box to protect them.

If you got the rain storm we had on this past Saturday 6/7. My wife ended up watching OnDemand stuff that night. Due to there was nothing on the locals or sub-channels, that we get through the AM21N we have connected.

BTW. L-Com.com sells the NID enclosures, which also work for Satellite & CATV. They have a 3x3x1 inch, and 3x4x2 inch. You can also get them through hometech.com Here is one on Amazon.com It is $41 though. Amazon product ASIN B00EJWZVDQ
This one is a little cheaper. It is for sprinkler timers. But should work for protecting the splitters. Amazon product ASIN B000VYGMF2
Make sure the ground from only one splitter is made, and is also properly bonded to the home electric Earthing ground.

Thanks a bunch

I am getting 2 new grounding blocks today and see what happens but I think I should at least take the LNB off the dish and check those connections first.

So I bought all the stuff now to get to work today

If I need a replacement LNB, what do I need? I have the slimline-5 with 4 coax.

I found a place online that has a replacement LNB and signal meter for $60 but not sure if this is cheap or not

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts