Server Issue Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I am getting upset now. ISP says they can do nothing and chances are a hardware firewall might not stop the attack. Grr...

Damn I am getting upset now. ISP says they can do nothing and chances are a hardware firewall might not stop the attack. Grr...

Can you find out what addresses it's coming from and just ask your ISP to put in a filter to block all IP from that address or range of addresses? Don't need a firewall for that, the router or switch can do that.

Nah, we just need my customers to stop having Sev 1's that require me to build 3 new AIX LPAR'S in 2 days, and not have a release of a SaaS product the same week...........

I see that you work on REAL computers.
I am an OLD MVS systems programmer and I tell my PC coworkers that it is not a real computer if you can pick it up and carry it under your arm.

I tried to carry a system36 and cisc based AS400. It did not work well.

Back on topic... I can only get in through pda mode right now

The load is back...

As high at 25 so far today, but now they are monitoring and and seeing whats triggering it.

At the moment the load is 12.14 11.64 : 11.47

I just want to get this fixed.

I see that you work on REAL computers.
I am an OLD MVS systems programmer and I tell my PC coworkers that it is not a real computer if you can pick it up and carry it under your arm.

How about 7074 Autocoder or OS/MFT, MVS was easy;)

They carrying these under your arms, the 7074 had 100KB and the 360-65 had a whooping 768KB and that was using magnetic core memories, no solid state memory.

Sorry for the detour down memory lane.

Attachments

• 360-65.gif
    360-65.gif
    284.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 7074.gif
    7074.gif
    275.6 KB · Views: 110

They carrying these under your arms, the 7074 had 100KB and the 360-65 had a whooping 768KB and that was using magnetic core memories, no solid state memory.

Yes when I worked for the IRS in Detroit I started out on a Honeywell H200 and the IBM 7074 with 20K memory. That was 10K for the program and 10K upper memory for I/O.
I also worked on the 360-65 at IRS.

Those were the days of 7074 Autocoder and I can't remember what language of the Honeywell was called but it was assembler.
I think that it was called autocoder too but as I said I am not sure.
Those pictures sure bring back memories and they sure were good ones thanks.

Yes when I worked for the IRS in Detroit I started out on a Honeywell H200 and the IBM 7074 with 20K memory. That was 10K for the program and 10K upper memory for I/O.
I also worked on the 360-65 at IRS.

Those were the days of 7074 Autocoder and I can't remember what language of the Honeywell was called but it was assembler.
I think that it was called autocoder too but as I said I am not sure.
Those pictures sure bring back memories and they sure were good ones thanks.

That's when men were men;).

The 7074 was like yours 10K, 10K 'words' of 10 bytes each. We had those 7074's around for ages, IIRC we finally pulled the plug on them in the early 80's, and that was only because we had emulators so we could run them on the 370's. United Airlines also had theirs around for ages, used it for crew scheduling, and we backed each other up in case of an extended hardware outage while IBM searched for parts.

They are recompiling some of the software on the server now. There might be point when we are down for a few moments.

Again thank you for your patience. Nobody wants this fixed more then me.

Scott is there a reason I can load satguys from my home PC (like I am with this post), but from my work ISP or my cell card I get a

WHOOPS, the page you are looking for cannot be found, then a search box for searching the satguys site?

Edit:
Screenshot attached

Attachments

• satguys.jpg
    satguys.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 123
That's when men were men;).

The 7074 was like yours 10K, 10K 'words' of 10 bytes each. We had those 7074's around for ages, IIRC we finally pulled the plug on them in the early 80's, and that was only because we had emulators so we could run them on the 370's. United Airlines also had theirs around for ages, used it for crew scheduling, and we backed each other up in case of an extended hardware outage while IBM searched for parts.

Yes IBM searching for parts.
We had one BIT go bad in the upper 10K array and they had to bring in a whole "new" array and it was covered in dust. But IBM got it to work after a few days.
The memory could be 5 bytes of alpha or 10 bytes of numeric.
Maybe this brings back some memories "ZA 1" 'ST 2" that one got me more than once.

Last edited:
I was online when it first happened running the beta of Windows 7. Whatever happened, it froze up the system and I ended up having to go thru Microsofts automated disk repair and several restarts to get it going again. ok since then.

Scott is there a reason I can load satguys from my home PC (like I am with this post), but from my work ISP or my cell card I get a

WHOOPS, the page you are looking for cannot be found, then a search box for searching the satguys site?

Edit:
Screenshot attached

A tracert from both locations might help.

Can't resist.
When I was young and just started working, I built & tested a number of the 360 systems, including the 30 & 60 series and the 4300 series before that.

IBM Endicott was were IBM started, we are now down to around 1500 employees, from almost 15,000 in it's prime.
Thanks for the memories.

Maybe this brings back some memories "ZA 1" 'ST 2" that one got me more than once.

Never did get into 7070 coding, started out with 1400 (1401/1460) where I'd forget to set a wordmark every now and then. What got me more then I want to remember was doing a compress on sys1.linklib on the same system I was running the compress on. All I could do was sit back and wait for the phone call as I crashed the system.

Can't resist.
When I was young and just started working, I built & tested a number of the 360 systems, including the 30 & 60 series and the 4300 series before that.

IBM Endicott was were IBM started, we are now down to around 1500 employees, from almost 15,000 in it's prime.
Thanks for the memories.

Might have used a few you built. At one time or another we had 360/2020, 2025, 2040 and 2065's on the floor. Then moved onto a 3155 and 3165, to 3158-3 and 3168-3 that eventually ended up as MP's. Last mainframes I supported before moving to network was 3081, 3083 and 3084. Looking back at how 'small' these million dollar systems are now compared to the laptop I'm using now still amazes me.

Sorry for the OT posts, I'll stop now.

A tracert from both locations might help.

I was going to post that info, but then the site became completely unavailable.

Both tracerts completed normally, and both took the basic same path once it got to level3 network, both routed through denver to dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.