Server SBS 2003 to Linux?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Would an old Dell SBS 2003 server (with RAID array) work well as a Linux/Ubuntu/etc box? Or even Windows 7 or 8? This has non-standard slots and was never intended for non-server use. But rather than toss it, perhaps it could be repurposed?

Really need more details before making such a determination. Type and speed of processor(s), type and amount of ram, etc, with the specific model number or service tag i could look it up. Without any of that, I'm still a brave soul so I'll take a stab at it anyway.

If it runs Windows 2003, there's no doubt it could run some flavor of linux. As far as running as a Windows 7 or 8 machine, my main worry would be some old crappy builtin video adapter typical for servers who have no fulltime local user; and no space or other difficulty with adding a more capable video card.

It could probably provide some basic services, and maybe be a SAMBA/NFS server.

It's very dated hardware -- so I don't know what value it's going to have long term.

Besides your integrated video you may run into an issue with your RAID controller not working in Windows 7 or 8.

centos will roll out like a champ.

I love linux its so much fun. :)

Failed to get the model # today. Will get it tomorrow.

Do most flavors of Linux play well with RAID controllers? RAID-1 BTW. And tape drives (just out of curiosity)?

I'll abandon any Windows thoughts for it.

You generally configure the RAID on the card, and present it to the OS. Usually RHEL and CentOS have broad support for storage cards -- but not always.

The tape drive should be recognized if it's a SCSI drive, it should be no problem.

I run various Debian and Slackware distros on way old hardware (ubuntu, lunubut, linux mint, server variants of those.. slackware starting back in 96.. redhat back around the same time as slackware but never really cared for it)..

Youd be amazed what you can run it on. If the unit is really, really old run a more compact version of linux (of which theres a bunch based typically off the larger distros). For example for acting as more of a vpn server base (but obviously can expand its roll) there pfsense and others... theres also damn small linux which is a tiny base requiring little resources although im not sure on its current status.

To give you an idea, I have a spare junk acer aspire with a 1.8ghz pentium d with 2 gigs of ram currently running dhcpd, plex media server and also twonky, openvpn, tightvnc/xrpd, nagios and I cant remember what all else right now while I build a new machine thats going to run ESXi so I can split stuff up a bit.. but even with all this I can rip one of my dvds to the hard drive for plex to use while also streaming to a roku (transcodes down to a 3Mbps stream since its just for kids movies) and also streams to one of the dish joeys.

So yeah, you can typically run linux just fine (minus maybe any fancy desktop manager.. lxde is a good choice if you require one)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's a Dell Poweredge 2600 2.2 GHz with DLT VS160. Installed 10/02 with SBS 2000 upgraded to SBS 2003.

It's a monster. I think I'll leave it here and find something better for a Linux box.

I haven't been too happy with NAS. But that may be my choice of HW. It works, just requires extra SW effort. I will read your link and decide for for the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)