service call survey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
had a service all Saturday & the tech asked me to complete the survey, but I never received it
is there a way to do this for him?
although I had to wait basically the entire day for him, he did a pretty decent job (I think) and would like to help him out

another question regarding this call. he installed a new dish & new cabling & hopefully a new duo node, but he was just going to let the node hang
I told him that would not work, that it was all tied up & hid before. He did zip tie it to the dish, but a neighbor just had Dish installed this week
and they said their tech just left theirs hanging too. is this something new? Not sure my tech grounded everything either. How can I check?

had a service all Saturday & the tech asked me to complete the survey, but I never received it
although I had to wait basically the entire day for him, he did a pretty decent job (I think) and would like to help him out

another question regarding this call. he installed a new dish & new cabling & hopefully a new duo node, but he was just going to let the node hang
I told him that would not work, that it was all tied up & hid before. He did zip tie it to the dish, but a neighbor just had Dish installed this week
and they said their tech just left theirs hanging too. is this something new? Not sure my tech grounded everything either. How can I check?
It generally takes several days to receive the survey. Be patient.

I don't agree with just leaving the node hanging. I've always either zip tied or attached them to the mast or LNB arm with self drilling, self tapping screws. My dishes are all portable installations, so grounding isn't an issue. I do ground roof or tall pole/tower mounts though.

Reactions: charlesrshell

It's random, Not every customer gets the survey, and no, hanging is not authorized. That's laziness. It needs to be mounted with ports on a horizontal plane and cables coming down from the connections to move water away from them

I don't agree with just leaving the node hanging. I've always either zip tied or attached them to the mast or LNB arm with self drilling, self tapping screws. My dishes are all portable installations, so grounding isn't an issue. I do ground roof or tall pole/tower mounts though.
How do you ground roof installs?
Mine is mounted to the chimney

I run solid ground wire connected at a mounting bolt, usually 10 gauge, down to the service panel ground if convenient, or a new ground rod if not. An alternate ground would be to use a standard coax ground block where the coax enters the house, but that depends on the lighter gauge braided shield. Ground blocks should always be used for normal installations anyway, although they're impractical for portable installations.

The cable coming from the Dish is supposed to have a messenger line attached that bonds the dish to the ground point on the house or in the basement, using a ground block, if that's where the cable runs, then from there a ground wire to a ground point

1660734566721.png

Untitled.jpg

The cable coming from the Dish is supposed to have a messenger line attached that bonds the dish to the ground point on the house or in the basement, using a ground block, if that's where the cable runs, then from there a ground wire to a ground point

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013
I know that's the standard grounding requirement, but for roof peak and chimney mounts, I prefer to run a heavier ground.

I can’t fault you for that, I’m just curious what your reasoning is, specifically as a learning tool.
My thinking is that roof peak and chimney mounts are more exposed to near miss lightning strikes, so I prefer a heavier duty ground path as direct as possible. For a direct hit of course, all bets are off. Living on a mountain top for 10 years taught me a lot about the odd things that lightening can do when it hits near by and smaller forks hit closer.

My thinking is that roof peak and chimney mounts are more exposed to near miss lightning strikes, so I prefer a heavier duty ground path as direct as possible. For a direct hit of course, all bets are off. Living on a mountain top for 10 years taught me a lot about the odd things that lightening can do when it hits near by and smaller forks hit closer.
Great point, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)