Service Phone Number 85 Miles Away From Service Address

Status
Please reply by conversation.
superharo said:
**On the other hand, one could speculate that DISH is aware of the fact that many of they're customers are using the "moving " option to get the programming they want. It's something that would be difficult to prove and might be more trouble than it's worth to enforce - so they turn a blind eye. If they truly wanted to attempt to eliminate this practice they could implement a rule stating that your "billing address" is REQUIRED to be the same as your "service address".

As for that, you're implying that Dish is inviting more negative attention, which I sincerely doubt they'd want to do at this point. Also, some people live in rural areas where they don't get delivery from the USPS and I hear it's wicked difficult to get a line of sight from one of those P.O. Boxes.

Now for Captain Tact.

dishrich said:
wrong - the last SHVERA changes do NOT allow waivers in LIL markets. If your market has LIL, you CANNOT get distants - PERIOD.

I didn't say waivers through Dish, I said through the DMA. They have final say over what you're allowed to view and they're borderline omnipotent because of the FCC as long as they contine to provide clean, family, rehashed garbage programming and worthless local news. They CAN give you waivers for other markets, they just won't because they have you by the cojones. You'd sooner see Honolulu nets broadcast in Maine because they had a demand for it than you would see Dish being allowed to provide a nationwide broadcast of HD nets.

dishrich said:
What DOES the audit Nazis have ANYTHING to do with this - their ONLY concern is with account stacking/no phone lines. They could care less WHERE you're at, as long as you have phone lines - the fact the phone lines are NOT necessarily in your area doesn't make ANY difference.

Wrong. Receiving programming at a fake address outside your DMA IS account stacking. If you get your programming at an address other than the physical, that's called stacking, regardless of whether you're actually using the physical.

dishrich said:
Yea, I'm sure THAT will change the whole DMA/local TV makeup in a BIG hurry.

Once again, faster than posting on a messageboard.

dishrich said:
OK, since you seem to know it all, just now many times HAS E* (or D* for that matter) been fined for a "mover" NOT being at the addy on their account?

Not sure of the stats on that, but I know the amount/duration of the fine and what happens to an agent who sets up an account that way, and neither of them are fun.

dishrich said:
REALLY - & HOW should we go about doing this? Maybe if we all call up our stations & say "please, pretty please with sugar on it, get an HD signal up", why I bet they'll just have it up & running tomorrow - why didn't the rest of us think of this?

Think PBS funding drives. Or whining. Considering the gigantic corporations that own the 4 major networks, if they were really concerned with providing their viewers with HD, they could toss some pocket change at the poor little DMAs that are getting so many complaints about the lack of HD.

dishrich said:
Oh yea, because most of these agents making $5 an hour REALLY give a rat's heiny about different billing/physical addys on someone's account.

Make someone who gets $5/hr to listen to someone like you angry and see how quickly you get audited.

AskATech said:
And as for that, if people like you call in and get an agent with any lick of intelligence for replacement equipment and ask for it to be sent to a billing address in another state, you're getting audited. Because you've been lucky so far doesn't mean it's not coming.

I"ve spoken with Advance support techs over the years, I guess you are calling them stupid. I even won a prize on a Charlie Chat a few years ago, and guess what, they sent it to my billing address.

I'm sick of these f(*&$'in holier than thou posts about moving and ethics. You know what, it doesn't impact you, so MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

:( on the contrary it effects me greatly! i have no phone line. i get all the distant networks. and I'm a full time rv'er with only a mailling address. people cheating the system will only bring the problem to everyones door step! there are a lot of people that depend on the distant networks. they are rv'er, truckers, and those that will never see locals for there area! so please keep us in your thoughts when you say you don't care about locals or phone lines. and distant netwoks.

hobojoe said:
:( on the contrary it effects me greatly! i have no phone line. i get all the distant networks.

NO, me or anyone else moving does NOT affect you at ALL! If you want to cry & say it does, well I guess that IS your problem, but again, me having an address in the Chicago DMA w/D* is NOT affecting you one iota.

and I'm a full time rv'er with only a mailling address.

Well, considering that both E* & D* REQUIRE some sort of physical addy on ALL accounts, this can't be true - now, if you are using your "mailing address" as your physical addy, then this would make more sense. But then, you DO have a physical addy, at least by D* & E* standards.

people cheating the system will only bring the problem to everyones door step!

Wah, wah, wah - cry me a river... :rolleyes: :D

so please keep us in your thoughts when you say you don't care about locals or phone lines. and distant netwoks.

Again, what the hell do PHONE LINES have to do w/distants - I guess it's my turn to cry now. There are MANY home bound DBS folks that do NOT have phone lines, either - many of these folks are cell-only & feel why should they pay $20+ a month for a phone line, just to make E* happy? NO other utility (not even D*) makes a phone line a REQUIREMENT to have service, or to make sure everyone is being honest. E* has had simple technology available for some time to ensure this, but has chosen NOT to implement it. Sorry, but that is THEIR problem, not MINE, or anyone elses. Again, D* doesn't seem to have such a problem w/no phones lines. (Gee, maybe THAT'S why they made their new DVR's so they do NOT require it whatsoever, like the D-Tivo's did) ;)

AskATech said:
I didn't say waivers through Dish, I said through the DMA. They have final say over what you're allowed to view and they're borderline omnipotent because of the FCC as long as they contine to provide clean, family, rehashed garbage programming and worthless local news. They CAN give you waivers for other markets, they just won't because they have you by the cojones.

Uh, OK - so what IS your point? Since it is EXTREMELY rare for a station to grant waivers, in escense, what I stated IS correct - you CAN'T get distants, period, if your market has LIL service. (& it's almost just as hard if it DOES!)
If this is NOT true, then why DO you think the local stations got this clause added to the law, that to paraphrase, if your area IS served w/LIL, then you are considered "served" w/local service. Again, the ONLY purpose of this clause was to make it even easier for local stations to deny waivers. (not that they had much trouble anyway :rolleyes: )

Wrong. Receiving programming at a fake address outside your DMA IS account stacking. If you get your programming at an address other than the physical, that's called stacking, regardless of whether you're actually using the physical.

Well, I guess if that is what YOU think in YOUR mindset, then I guess there is not much to respond to that kind of insanity, but whatever... :rolleyes: :confused:

Once again, faster than posting on a messageboard.

Or shouting it out from my rooftop - again, it AIN'T going to change in ANY way, as long as the TV stations are in all the politician's pockets; which will probably be, uh, FOREVER... :eek:

Not sure of the stats on that, but I know the amount/duration of the fine and what happens to an agent who sets up an account that way,

Then until you have some HARD stats to back it up, then there is NO point of bringing it up. :rolleyes:

and neither of them are fun.

Oooo, it's making me tingle just thinking about it (but some people LIKE that kind of stuff :D :D )

Think PBS funding drives. Or whining. Considering the gigantic corporations that own the 4 major networks, if they were really concerned with providing their viewers with HD, they could toss some pocket change at the poor little DMAs that are getting so many complaints about the lack of HD.

Think somebody's been smoking some really BAD weed...

Make someone who gets $5/hr to listen to someone like you angry and see how quickly you get audited.

Aside from the fact I have NEVER gotten angry with either a D* or E* CSR, (since there isn't any point, as they only read from their canned scripts) about the ONLY time I call a CSR, is to either add or delete a receiver. EVERYTHING else I need done, I either do myself (as in getting new equipment, since I am a dealer, duh) or I do on their website, such as changing prog, which is very rare as well.

Last edited:
angiodan said:
I'm sick of these f(*&$'in holier than thou posts about moving and ethics. You know what, it doesn't impact you, so MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

Thank you, one of the most simple & intelligent things said yet!! :D :up :eureka

And to all of you "do gooders", that NEVER copy a tape, or copy a CD, or copy computer software - I am quite sure that most, if not all of you have your own "dishonest skeletons" in your closets. It will NEVER, EVER, change my, or any other mover's mindset about what we do. So, you all are the ones that need have to deal with it!

I sleep VERY well at night, while my 5 DVR's are busy recording my shows, that are NOT those of my local stations. (awww, too bad local stations! :D :D )

I could care less that my local stations don't get my "advertising eyeballs" - but since I DVR EVERYTHING & skip the commercials, it's not a loss anyway. (oops, I bet somebody around here will give me 40 lashes f/ad skipping :D :eek: )

E* & D* continue to cash my checks month after month for ALL the extra $$$ they get from me for my distants/supers. Actually, if it was NOT for the distants, E* would NOT be getting a penny from me, as that is the ONLY reason why I even have service from them. If all the distants disappear from E*, then the $25+ I pay them month will be disappearing as well. They both know people are doing this, but as someone said earlier, it is not worth their time & trouble to attempt to police this & actually could be detrimental to their bottom lines.

Last edited:
hobojoe said:
:( and I'm a full time rv'er with only a mailling address.
so where are the other 8 dishes you have then? On the RV?

there are a lot of people that depend on the distant networks. they are rv'er, truckers, and those that will never see locals for there area!

they have specific rules for RV'ers and truckers. They can still get distants

dishrich said:
I sleep VERY well at night, while my 5 DVR's are busy recording my shows, that are NOT those of my local stations. (awww, too bad local stations! :D :D )
you too, huh? I sleep very well at night while my HDD/DVD recorders are recording stuff via the nets on StarCoice and my "locals" (that are not my locals) :)

I could care less that my local stations don't get my "advertising eyeballs" - but since I DVR EVERYTHING & skip the commercials, it's not a loss anyway. (oops, I bet somebody around here will give me 40 lashes f/ad skipping :D :eek: )
Yeah I know. Those Subway commercials on NY stations are the same as the ones that are in my local affiliates
:)

ThomasRz said:
Sure they do. See 17 USC 119(a)(4)(F) - Even with LIL, you local station can allow you to receive distant network signals. They don't have to but they may.

WRONG!!!

The NAB convinced them to have a rule with SHVERA that says "can get locals now, no distants"

bottom line its a choice of personal preference
wether you want your dma or not.
if not you move
but if you like your dma, theres obviously no reason to move
diffrent deeds diffrent breeds period.

I concur with Iceberg. My service address and phone number are about 100 miles apart; not a problem for the past five years.

Geez, I hope I don't jinx it. :eek:

I have driven over the posted speed limit & I have viewed network programing outside of my DMA,
I have also tried grapes at the groc. store before I purchased them,
I have smoked a cigarette close than 25 ft. from the back door to where I work(illegal in WA),
driven w/o a seatbelt(also illegal),
ridden a bicycle w/o a helmet(also illegal),
my cat doesn't have a licence,
went out in public w/ a common cold(illegal in WA, see RCW 70.54.050),
bought fireworks at the Indian reservation & lit them off at my house(also illegal),
smoked pot(yes I did inhale, see user name),
burned a CD & gave it to a friend,
have a street sign in my garage,
played music so loud that you could hear it more than 100 ft from my car(I did get a warning for that one),
no litter bag in car(also warning, different time),
jay walked,
stopped, then proceded thru a red light at 3am,
turned on my cell phone on an airplane,
lied to sleep w/ a girl(OK nothing illegal here but she was HOT & I just have to tell any who will listen on this one),
had my dog off lease in public,
watched a DVD other than Region 1,
lent a DVD to someone(read the fine print, you can't lend them out),
put recyclables in the trash,
drank alcohol before I was 21yrs. old,
smoked before I was 18 yrs. old,
I have worn white pants after labor day(is that illegal or just wrong that I know that?),
worn my good shoes out to play(sorry mom)...

I could go on but it's Sat. night & I'm going out to break at least 3 of the laws I have posted here and quite a few more that I haven't(sorry mom).

So my point is, let he who has not broken the law cast the first stone(12 yrs.catholic school, not against the law but it should be)

Jordan

Jordan420 said:
I have driven over the posted speed limit
did that today
& I have viewed network programing outside of my DMA,
doing that right now :)
driven w/o a seatbelt(also illegal),
did that too today
ridden a bicycle w/o a helmet(also illegal),
I'm grandfathered in :)
bought fireworks at the Indian reservation & lit them off at my house(also illegal),
done that too. Went across to Wisconsin (they got the good stuff...MN doesn't)
have a street sign in my garage,
same here
lied to sleep w/ a girl(OK nothing illegal here but she was HOT & I just have to tell any who will listen on this one),
hee hee...that one is funny :) But done that too
drank alcohol before I was 21yrs. old,
I drank more before I was 21 then after

I could go on but it's Sat. night & I'm going out to break at least 3 of the laws I have posted here and quite a few more that I haven't(sorry mom).

So my point is, let he who has not broken the law cast the first stone(12 yrs.catholic school, not against the law but it should be)
very good post :)

Here's another one.

When I last "moved" to get a different DMA's locals I had Minneapolis locals + Fox distant (Denver & LA) and when I moved to get locals & distants Dish screwed up so at one point I had
Duluth locals (legit...well "moved")
Denver distants (again..legit)
Mpls locals (they forgot to remove them but did stop billing)
Fox LA (again..forgot to remove them)

so is that my fault? At the time I even mentioned it to DIsh and they didnt care :)
Had them for almost a year

:) i agree that we should all have the choice to chose and see as many stations as we like. i currently have local for San Diego, the east NY package, the west la package, the Denver stations ala-carte, and the chicago stations ala-carte. but until they get the laws up to date we are walking on thin ice. to me the distant networks and wavered locals are in the same watchfull eyes of dish and others, watched by phone audits. i just don't want us to screw each other by openly cheating the system. at least try hiding it a little. my address is a mail box. for mailling and service. my phone is a cell phone. i also have vonage (voip) but very rarely use it for dish. I'll get my camera out to show all the dish's in the back of the truck. I'm not an angel i just believe if you try and do good then good will return to you. i try and live a humble life. so i give my apology's to any one i have offended. and ask you to remember our actions do effect other.

it 2am and i still cannot get the fu*king pic to upload!!!! dam!!!! I'll try some other time i give up too frustrating:mad:

angiodan said:
Any replacement equipment I've needed, I make super clear that it needs to be sent to my billing address. Again, never a problem.
no matter how clear I make it everytime I get to call ups and change the address after they tried to deliver it. But for some darn reason cant find my service address:D

superharo said:
Hello Guys,

Curious about the phone line requirement thing. I currently have a VIP622 receiver that is not hooked up to a phone line. I want to eliminate that extra 5.00 a month charge and get rid of that ANNOYING message that pops up everytime after the receiver goes on standby that talks about the phone line charge. The problem is that I use a friend's home in San Francisco as my service address (so I can receive SF networks) but my billing address (and the telephone number that DISH has on file) is in Sacramento 85 miles away which is where the equipment actually is. Do they heavily analyze what phone number your receiver is actually dialing out from and that it's not coming out of the region it's supposed to be in? Sacramento obviously has a different area code from San Francisco.

Thank You.
All posts regarding this being against the rules are correct..However, Iam an advocate of being babe to watch locals from any city we wish..I think it's ludicrous that can go on line and read any newspaper that puts itself on the web ,and be able to listen to distant AM radio stations at night, yet TV is signals are restricted on satelite to the zip codes within thta DMA...In fact it is not primarily the FCC which determines which zips are in a particaular DMA..AC Nielsen does that...
Good luck..I would just use my mobile phone as my primary number on my account

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts