Service Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ddobson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Just wondering if anyone can offer any insight before I call D.....

I started having an issue over this last weekend. I have low signals on one satellite only, the national HD one (103(c)).

Everything else is generally in 80's and 90's except for some spot beams.. Here are my signal levels on BOTH tuners on 103(c).

43 0 44 0 42 0 44 0

Basically runs the same occasionally a 12 in place of a 0 or something like that. Seems like low signal on odd channels and NO signal on Evens....

I thought about B-Band converter issue because I had a bad one before. However they would both have failed at once. No chance from my judgement that anything is blocking the signal. If it was it would block other sats too. there is a line of trees to my south but I have to be shooting over them and if it affected 103 it would affect others too.

This is fairly sudden as I watch the Weather Channel all the time. It went from working fine one night to not even a signal breaking up the next day. No storms, no surges

The receiver did upgrade but I find it hard to believe that had anything to do with it. Just a coincidence it was the same day. I have hard reset the receiver numerous times. Taken loose and recoonected and switched the B-Band converters.

Nothing seems to make a difference. I guess my only thoughts are that either the LNB for that sat died, or the B-Band converters both failed at once...

Local HD's work fine, all SD's work fine. Could the satellite be that out of alignment only on 103? I wouldn't think so....

I'm pretty experienced until I upgraded to HD. I had never had a dish professionally installed before. I have installed about 20 or 30 myself and formerly worked for a cable company as the Head End Tech aligning the dishes and and maintaining the head end.

I admit I'm a bit afraid to touch the system looking at that many sats at once, dont' want to lose what I am getting.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has other ideas... I record 15 minutes of the weather channel every morning so when I get up I can see the tropical update without waiting for it. I keep 5 days worth or delete manually. Monday morning was find, no breakups or pixelization. Tuesday morning no signal at all, no recording...

Chicago Locals perfect, all SD locals perfect. I'm repeating myself now...

Thanks for any ideas or input. I'm close to calling D as it is but thought it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there first..

Thanks All!

first i would actually see if your dish is out of tune. if you know anyone that has a birddog, then check the signal. locals dont always come on 103.. sometimes they come on 99 sat.

if the dish is still in alignment... i recently had the same problem (different sat) at my parents house, turned out the 6x8 Multiswitch was bad, I replaced it then they got a tech to come out and bring a new switch so i could have mine back. of course I have no idea if you have a switch in place, if you are using SWM or anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)