Set DVR to record New Episodes, but still records old epsisodes sometimes.

getstuff4less

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
CA
Hello,

On some programs I set the DVR to only record 'New Episodes.' However, it still records older episodes sometimes. For example, on Gene Simmons family jewels I have episodes from 08 or 09 that it records as new.

Ideas?

Hello,

On some programs I set the DVR to only record 'New Episodes.' However, it still records older episodes sometimes. For example, on Gene Simmons family jewels I have episodes from 08 or 09 that it records as new.

Ideas?

If the guide data does not include rhe original broadcast date the DVR records it as new.

When I view the info it show the original air date. That is why I know they are not new. Yes, I checked my timers and made sure it only is set to record new episodes.

I have a similar complaint. If I have a series recording only new episodes and I stop the recording, it will record the replay. It's annoying.

The Tribune guide

As stated above, this is most likely an issue with the Tribune guide data. I can't count the number of times I've had shows record because they were inaccurately flagged as "new" by the guide. However, this is a Tribune issue - I just don't see how Dish could possibly correct this themselves.

I have a similar complaint. If I have a series recording only new episodes and I stop the recording, it will record the replay. It's annoying.
Don't stop the recording then. It KNOWS it didn't record the entire episode and apparently doesn't consider the user stopping the recording to be a valid reason to not re-record it. How does it know someone else in the house stopped it mistakenly or you stopped it so you could watch something else ?

As noted already, if the guide data is missing any part of the episode #, original air date, etc, etc, it errs on the safe side and records it. If it's a duplicate, delete it. Big deal... People will bitch more when it does NOT record an episode or misses it !

If it becomes too much of a problem, you might want to consider trying setting the timer to a different frequency. For example, The Daily Show and Colbert Report on Comedy Central are repeated several times a day with the new show airing at 11PM EST. The first run airings has the correct guide info, but the repeats have generic or blank guide information. What I did was set a timer for The Daily Show by pressing REC in the guide, but making sure I select the 11PM airing AND then set the frequency from NEW to MON-FRI. This will tell the DVR to record only the airings at 11PM and ignore the rest of them. (Also since both shows are new on Mon-Thr. Comedy Central usually airs something completely different on Fridays so the DVR also ignores whatever stupid movie they end up playing those nights.)

If Gene Simmons is new at the same time every week, set it as a weekly timer instead of new. You do have to kinda keep an eye on if the time for new episodes ever changes on that channel, but it should at least cut down on the number of repeats that are recorded.

I found this thread and registered here because I'm having the same problem with my Dish VIP722K DVR. For me it's exclusively with the show The Colbert Report and nothing else...I have it set to "New Episodes" but it still seems to record all the repeats. I also have a timer set to record all new episodes of The Daily Show and never have any problems with that. But for example after being away for a week I came back to find 28 new episodes recorded of Colbert, only 5 of which were new.

I can set it to specifically record from Monday-Friday at only 11:30PM to 12:00AM but there are two problems with this...namely, when the show goes on break (like it will be between now and January) it will still record all the repeats aired in that timeslot. Granted, this is better than it recording the 3 repeats aired at like 10:30AM, 1:30PM etc every day but it's not perfect. What's more of an issue is that the timing between The Colbert Report and The Daily Show isn't always right so if I'm starting the recording at exactly 11:30PM then sometimes it'll cut off the last few minutes of TDS on my separate recording for it and I'll get those few minutes at the beginning of my Colbert recording instead which can be difficult to keep track of. When I record it using "New Episodes" this doesn't happen.

Are there any other solutions to this? When it's a new episode the guide clearly says "(New)" in the description and *doesn't* say that in the descriptions for the repeats so you'd think there would be a way to get the DVR to recognize that somehow...

This question has been asked here many times. As others have stated, it is because the data in the guide is wrong (supplied by Tribune). The thing that tells Dish that it is a new show is something that is not visible to customers. The guide data that customers see is not the same thing that Dish uses to determine if it is a new show. It has nothing to do with the air date or episode number that is visible to the customer. There is a hidden attribute that Dish uses to tell that the show is new. Don't blame Dish, it is the Tribune guide that has the wrong information.

Dish's software might factor the "New" tag in the guide description but even if it does, it's only one of numerous other tags. If the episode # is blank or "N/A", it will automatically record it as a new event. If the original air date is blank, unknown, or "N/A", it will automatically record it as a new event.

Again, if any one field is not filled in, they play it safe and record the event. It's easier to delete a program after the fact vs missing the episode and there's the rare chance that it won't be aired again or for a long time...

I'd rather have this problem. When I had cable I told it to record America's Most Wanted new episodes and next week the dvr didn't have it set to record. Selected them all and again not there next week to record. So I'll take over recording over no recording.

Just checked "The Colbert Report" and set a NEW timer for it. It flagged EVERY available episode to be recorded.

I saw no "new" word in the description.

Every episode was dated 10/17/05; every episode # was "N/A". The "N/A" is why it's recording all of them.

Last edited:
Garbage in, garbage out. If you have a habitual offender, you may want to manually delete (skip) programming from the Timers menu.

Hi. This is PhillipC with DISH Network. I have taken a look at everyone's posts and really appreciate all the great information being shared. I would like to help with your DVR concerns some more. If you are encountering this DVR issue of "over recording" please provide more information on the model of receiver and software you are having the issue with so we can look into this further.

I agree with the habitual offender mark. This happens all the time on HGTV. The guide data is always inaccurate, showing an old show where a new one is. I changed all those timers to weekly and just set them the old fashioned way, by time. Fixed it real fast.

Just checked "The Colbert Report" and set a NEW timer for it. It flagged EVERY available episode to be recorded.

I saw no "new" word in the description.

Every episode was dated 10/17/05; every episode # was "N/A". The "N/A" is why it's recording all of them.

Yeah, its insanely annoying, but the M-F timer + New works well to sort that out, so its not recording 10 episodes a day!

Again, if any one field is not filled in, they play it safe and record the event. It's easier to delete a program after the fact vs missing the episode and there's the rare chance that it won't be aired again or for a long time...

That's fine til you run out of disc space.

The solution would be for Charlie to play hardball with Tribune and demand accurate data, unless he wants to pay out the money to do it himself. As far as I know, nobody has ever publicly asked him why he won't tackle the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts