Set of Newbie questions - planning on coming from Comcast to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wdwms

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Greetings,
Well I suppose I have to break the ice at somepoint and make my first post, so I figured I'd make it a good one. Now pardon me if some of these questions may be answered somewhere already. I'm doing my best to piece the info together as I find it, but I'm unsure of a few things. So here we go, and many thanks ahead of time! :)

Currently I subscribe to Comcast (was Adelphia as of 2 weeks ago, but that is another story). We are big Red Sox fans so we must have our NESN (our RSN) in HD; so thats why we are w/comcast as of today. The HD selection is decent and the HD QOS is great. However I've had it with their "digital" SD channels, which are no more than slightly polished analog turds. So I need to make a switch. Now I'm considering switching to D* since NESN HD is offered, but I've got a few questions yet.
  1. HD Quality on D* - I've heard lots on this, pending lawsuits, HD-Lite, MPEG4, etc. Fact of the matter is I want REAL HD and the quality I'm used to from Comcast. What is the quality like?
  2. What receiver should I get (DVR not necessary at this time), and if its MPEG4 compatible does that mean I'll get better quality than say an older non-MPEG4 receiver?
  3. Locals - Since I'm in the Boston market it looks like I'll recieve my HD Locals over the SAT, which is good as where I live i'd need an antenna the size of Montana to pull anything in.
  4. I read in the 2006/2007 plan for D* (http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=7484&d=1140623682) That a Frequency Translation Module would be available (Run one cable from dish to house) Is this available now?
  5. Is the Ka-Ku antenna shipping now? Do I need this for MPEG4? Does it support more than 4 tvs?
  6. I will need some SD tuners - Does it make sense to just buy older tuners on ebay , or should I stick w/new tuners. IE: Is there any benefit to the newer tuners?
  7. Tivo - Loaded question, do we know whats going on w/a new D* HD Tivo? Will old D* Tivo's work on w/my system if I was to get one?
  8. HD Channel expansions - All I hear about is more HD locals coming to D*. Thats fine and dandy, but I don't need the local Idaho Spud Farmer Report in HD. What national HD channel expansions are coming? Food Network HD? HGTV HD? Nat. Geographic HD?
Ok thats all for now, I'm sure I'll think of a few more. Many thanks ahead of time for your input!

Todd

Greetings,
Well I suppose I have to break the ice at somepoint and make my first post, so I figured I'd make it a good one. Now pardon me if some of these questions may be answered somewhere already. I'm doing my best to piece the info together as I find it, but I'm unsure of a few things. So here we go, and many thanks ahead of time! :)

Currently I subscribe to Comcast (was Adelphia as of 2 weeks ago, but that is another story). We are big Red Sox fans so we must have our NESN (our RSN) in HD; so thats why we are w/comcast as of today. The HD selection is decent and the HD QOS is great. However I've had it with their "digital" SD channels, which are no more than slightly polished analog turds. So I need to make a switch. Now I'm considering switching to D* since NESN HD is offered, but I've got a few questions yet.
  1. HD Quality on D* - I've heard lots on this, pending lawsuits, HD-Lite, MPEG4, etc. Fact of the matter is I want REAL HD and the quality I'm used to from Comcast. What is the quality like?
  2. What receiver should I get (DVR not necessary at this time), and if its MPEG4 compatible does that mean I'll get better quality than say an older non-MPEG4 receiver?
  3. Locals - Since I'm in the Boston market it looks like I'll recieve my HD Locals over the SAT, which is good as where I live i'd need an antenna the size of Montana to pull anything in.
  4. I read in the 2006/2007 plan for D* (http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=7484&d=1140623682) That a Frequency Translation Module would be available (Run one cable from dish to house) Is this available now?
  5. Is the Ka-Ku antenna shipping now? Do I need this for MPEG4? Does it support more than 4 tvs?
  6. I will need some SD tuners - Does it make sense to just buy older tuners on ebay , or should I stick w/new tuners. IE: Is there any benefit to the newer tuners?
  7. Tivo - Loaded question, do we know whats going on w/a new D* HD Tivo? Will old D* Tivo's work on w/my system if I was to get one?
  8. HD Channel expansions - All I hear about is more HD locals coming to D*. Thats fine and dandy, but I don't need the local Idaho Spud Farmer Report in HD. What national HD channel expansions are coming? Food Network HD? HGTV HD? Nat. Geographic HD?
Ok thats all for now, I'm sure I'll think of a few more. Many thanks ahead of time for your input!

Todd

welcome to the site, and welcome to the "other side" coming over to DTV. I will take a stab at your questions

1. HD picture, its known here commonly as "HD lite", and as you have seen many have had issues with it. I think the picture is good. I do think that some channels ie; Discovery have a bit better picture

2. MPEG 4, when DTV has future HD expansions, it looks like that will be the way to get future channels. I had MPEG 2 and did not notice any big picture change. So if you want to get MPEG 4, to take care of future channels, you may want to do that.

New SD tunners, if you are into interactive stuff, that is what the new ones will have.

TIVO...I belive DTV will support TIVO for a few more years. Many love the Directv DVR's and many hate it. I have had both, and after taking care of a few bugs, I have no real issues with the DVR from direct TV

Future HD...We have all read and heard that it will be late next year and as far as what is coming....No announcements have been given, as far as I know

Hope this gives you a bit of insite..Enjoy!!

1. HD-Lite looks fine to me. My 42 in. plasma is 1024 x 768, so I don't lose anything.

2. The H20 is the only HD non-DVR being offered currently. It does both MPEG2 and MPEG4.

3. Boston locals are via MPEG4, requiring a 5 LNB dish.

4. The FTM isn't available yet (no word as to when it will show up).

5. There are two Ka/Ku antennas, the AT-9 and AU-9 (aka slimline). Both have 5 LNBs (3 Ku, 2 Ka).

6. It probably doesn't make a difference, but as a new subscriber, DTV probably provide several for free (except for $4.99/month for all after the first).

7. Directv no longer has Tivo-based units. The older units are still supported, however.

8. New satellites next year will provide much more HD capability (which is currently maxed-out). I expect that the ones you mentioned will be carried in addition to more full-time regional sports networks. There will still be room for more as they become available.

Thanks for the feedback guys... definately clears a few things up. As for HD-Lite, i'm nervous that the quality will not be what I'm used to. Granted it does vary from channel to channel, but HDNET, NESN and a few other channels in HD from Comcast are simply stunning. I'd hate to sign on for 2 years and get stuck w/service i'm not happy with. Neighbors have D*, but they dont' have a HDTV so I can't see what I'd be getting..

FTM would be a nice "to have", really would lessen the # of wires I'd have to run..

-t

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts