Set top boxes & Smart TVs & 4K Video - what a mess!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
<rant on>
Recently got a Hopper 3 and a new 4K TV. Then on to obtain 4K material. To call the 4K marketplace a hot mess these days would be an understatement.
Little actual 4K material out there. Yeah that is to be expected at this point in the game I suppose, but you would think there would be some easy ways to get the little that is there. In that you might be wrong.
This set top box does Netflix and YouTube 4K but not Amazon Prime, Ultraflix is hit or miss. Same is there in Smart TVs. Some have a wide selection others not so much. All are hinky from reading in many different places. Almost none have it all!
Amazon Prime is a particularly irksome product for 4K video. Sony runs Android TV os and is the only one running that OS that has Amazon Prime. Seems Google and Amazon are in some sort of pissing contest at the users expense. Amazon Prime is available on iOS devices EXCEPT the AppleTV, and of course the finger pointing about that is in full bloom.
So it appeared that the Amazon Fire Stick would be the 'cure' for 4K goodness. Well, not quite. Yes, 4K from Amazon Prime is there but don't search for "4K video" as that won't actually show any selections that are in 4K. Netflix is there in 4K too if you have their 4K plan. YouTube? Yep, it is there but in spite of claims to the contrary it doesn't flag as a 4K client to YouTube!
These days it is pick a tv/box and if you actually want it all know that you'll have to have more than one set top box to get it all! :(
<rant off>

All that said, the Fire TV works quite well, the AppleTV and Tivo does too. But multiple UIs and remotes gets a little old after awhile.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Amazon you have to scroll down to the UHD sections to find them, which is a pain. It does look pretty good on my LG. The H3 can't do YouTube 4k as it doesn't support the codec YouTube uses.

I've watched some good 4k stuff from YouTube on the LG app too along with some on Netflix. It is all still hit and miss. I guess I fortunate to get 4k amazon, YouTube and Netflix from the LG but I'm out of luck on Vudu or any others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I can get VUDU on my ROKU and my Sony 940C. The 8500 hasn't been enabled yet. Still limited to HDX. I also get M-GO/Fandango on my Samsung.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)