set up c band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dee brown

Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
I recently disconnected my pay TV service. I have this equipment sitting on my property. I am wondering if it can be used if so how? thank you for any info.
P3060092.JPG
P3060093.JPG
P3060094.JPG

Reactions: fred555
With a minimal investment of about $150, you will be able to receive hundreds of free channels. If the motor still works, you should only need a DVBS2 satellite receiver, a motor controller and simplify things by replacing the electronics on the dish feed with a LNBF.

Depending on how much of the sky that is visible from the dish location and not blocked by trees, you will be able to receive dozens of satellites in an arc from the eastern horizon to highest in the South and to the western horizon.

While some use these channels along with a antenna for local channels, please be aware that many of the more popular channels are not available due to scrambling. Lists of available free channels can be found at sathint.com/lyngsat.com and other sites. More popular channels are only available via subscription services like cable/Dish/DirecTV.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Before purchasing anything, test the dish motor. The actuator arm is usually the first thing to rust and freeze-up if not used. Lube the pivot points on the dish mount and spray lubricating oil in the arm. Let stand for a few hours or days if possible before applying power to the motor.

Remove the motor cover and use a car battery or charger to apply power to the two heavy gauge wires. Reversing the leads should reverse the direction of travel. If the motor works, this will be a considerable cost saving.

There are several levels of new equipment offerings. I would avoid buying from International Ebay resellers as they will likely not provide any support or be able to answer operational questions. There are several US based resellers with great equipment and excellent support. As I am a developer and equipment reseller, I will excuse myself from specific recommendations, but other members hopefully weigh-in on their recommendations.

Dealers I've delt with KE4EST SAT-AV GotCband Titaniumsatellite HYPERMEGASAT
Receiver: Amiko HDSE is what I run at this time, but don't think there's any 'new' available. Geosatpro 3500 HDX which seems to be having some 'teething pains' at present. (firmware updates ongoing) Manhattan 1997 Linkbox 8000? All seem to have their faults as no one has produced a 'box' that's everything for everyone. Check out the reviews and receiver support areas.
One "Q" - Your dish or was it on the property when you 'got there'?';
Any old analog receivers in your possession? So many options it's almost impossible to cover them all in a short post.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, dee brown!
Yes, check and see if that motor works, that is the start.
Lots of stuff up there to watch with a C-Band dish.
I too am curious if that was your dish originally and if you have any of the old receivers lying around.
You may already have a dish mover. It won't be ideal but it will be something to move the dish to get you started.

Reactions: norman881
awesome thanks for the replies. the dish has been sitting for 12 years came with the house. I understand the previous owner watched hunting shows? Did not come with a receiver, I can afford to spend a little on it since i'm not paying dish $100.00 a month anymore. We have a storm coming in today and tomorrow will be a couple days before i can check it out

Reactions: Titanium
Ok cool my car battery moves the dish both directions. Time to order some equipment a DVBS2 satellite receiver, motor controller, and a lnbf?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Great news!

Now a few decisions...

1. DVBS2 receiver. What brand and model? I think the most reliable receiver currently sold is the LinkBox 9000i or 9000i Local (with digital TV tuner if you have an antenna for local channels). Possibly you can find either the Amiko mini HD SE or the GEOSATpro micro HD (discontinued models). These receivers are very stable and are a great value. The Manhattan model RS1933 can still be found and I would recommend it over the newer 1997 model. The least expensive model is the X2 model M1 HD and it can be found on Ebay, but there is very little technical support available.

2. Motor Controller - Least expensive DiSEqC controllers are the GBox or VBox. The best option is the Titanium Satellite ASC1 (see below).

3. Change the feedhorn to a LNBF? For your ease of operation, I would swap the existing feedhorn with a LNBF like the Titanium Satellite C1-PLL. This will allow any DVBS2 receiver to change the polarity directly rather than using a servo polarity controller. Then you could use a GBox, VBox or ASC1 controller.
or
Keep the current feedhorn/servo as it will provide a better optimization and invest in the better quality ASC1 controller, which automates the servo motor control to work with any DVBS2 receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: dl76 and KE4EST
I received the Manhattan 1977 I connected it to the dish network dish still on my roof. It reads galaxy 19 at 82% signal strength and finds some free channels. However when i select a channel it reads no signal? I have it connected to my tv with the hdmi cable. is this normal or am I mixed up and need to get it on my large cband dish?

When connecting to a Dish Network dish, the LNB LO needs to be set to 11250. A Dish Network LNBF is the wrong frequency to receive any thing from 97w. This is a false positive identification.

Doing a blindscan when connected to the Dish Network dish? If the dish is still aimed at the Dish Network satellites, then maybe only a promo channel will scan in.

What are the channel names that are found?

Status
Please reply by conversation.