Setanta Sports USA: Soon To Become A Thing Of The Past

Now point # 2, I've watched soccer matches in hotbed countries on TV & I've seen,surprise surprise,empty seats. In fact I seen entire sections of stadiums empty & devoid of fans. Matches in Europe,South America(even Chile's Colo-Colo) play in front of empty seats . I ask myself,"if these nations love soccer so much,why are the seats empty?"[/QUOTE]

One could say the same about all the empty seats at Florida Marlins, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Sacramento Kings games. The reasons could range from economic issues to less than compelling competition (keep in mind that in Europeans soccer leagues there are a few dominating clubs and a bunch of teams than can only dream of being at that level but do not have the resources to do so) to just a simple lack of interest in the team that may be reflective of its on-field performance.

As for salsadancer7's question about why soccer and soccer fans take so much heat in this country. I chalk it up to general ignorance and a lack of understanding about the game. Many people have the "I don't understand it, it looks stupid and I don't like it so how can anybody else like it" mentality." I've seen similar attitudes displayed towards sports such as women's basketball and NASCAR. Many people like to hide their lack of education behind a facade of bravado that ususally manifests itself through redicule.

Now point # 2, I've watched soccer matches in hotbed countries on TV & I've seen,surprise surprise,empty seats. In fact I seen entire sections of stadiums empty & devoid of fans. Matches in Europe,South America(even Chile's Colo-Colo) play in front of empty seats . I ask myself,"if these nations love soccer so much,why are the seats empty?"

One could say the same about all the empty seats at Florida Marlins, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Sacramento Kings games. The reasons could range from economic issues to less than compelling competition (keep in mind that in Europeans soccer leagues there are a few dominating clubs and a bunch of teams than can only dream of being at that level but do not have the resources to do so) to just a simple lack of interest in the team that may be reflective of its on-field performance.

As for salsadancer7's question about why soccer and soccer fans take so much heat in this country. I chalk it up to general ignorance and a lack of understanding about the game. Many people have the "I don't understand it, it looks stupid and I don't like it so how can anybody else like it" mentality." I've seen similar attitudes displayed towards sports such as women's basketball and NASCAR. Many people like to hide their lack of education behind a facade of bravado that ususally manifests itself through redicule.[/QUOTE]

All very good points!:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)