Setting SWM dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Man you guys make it sound like if the mast is not dead nuts perfect you can't peak that dish. I will admit that I get it close, but I don't obsess over getting it perfect. I get the same signals within a point on every install of a KA/KU. I use the same LNB every time I point one, so I know what I should see.

As an exercise I will even point with a mast that is pretty far off, I can ajdust the dish untill I get the signals I should see. The Slimline is a pretty easy dish to point. I will say that as of late the cold is making the LNB's very flakey, and D* has been getting cheaper and cheaper on the Slimline.

If you have a meter, then you can probably point a dish that's lying on the ground. Okay, maybe not that bad, but my point is that without a meter, which is the situation a customer is likely in, having the mast plumb is important. It makes aligning the dish much easier.

You can compensate for one thats not perfectly plumb. If installing in less than ideal weather conditions I don't play with it. Don't stack the deck against yourself. Add mast being a little off to less than perfect built in cableing/hidden cheap barrels/cheap wall plates/poorly installed hidden connectors and that 1 or 2 points might make the difference. Can't count on that new LNB being as good as the last one you used. Some days just getting enough equip to do scheduled wk is a challenge. Don't always have a spare. I don't find getting one plumb difficult enough to chance it becoming PART of the problem. If when you pull the trigger it fires then its all good....if not where are you going to start fixing that? With that mast that in the back of your mind you know that's not plumb?

Man you guys make it sound like if the mast is not dead nuts perfect you can't peak that dish. I will admit that I get it close, but I don't obsess over getting it perfect. I get the same signals within a point on every install of a KA/KU. I use the same LNB every time I point one, so I know what I should see.

Where this is true as I have to my surprise had a receiver pass installation verification on a pole with a serious lean on it.
However, I will still say it is important to have that pole plum and level and I train every new tech this way.
Like Daddy Dithers says, why even have something as an unlevel pole be the cause of your problem.
It only takes a few extra seconds to level it up properly.

If you are using the SWM LNB to point the dish you will fight all day long to get it aimed. Use the SL3 or SL5 lnb to aim, then change it out for your SWM lnb.

when the tech did my HD upgrade I asked him why he was using the old LNB to aim and he said it was "much easier to aim"...and when the temp was -4 I think easier would be better :)
Also he said you needed the power inserter hooked up to aim the dish

Yes, it is easier to point the dish with the non swm LNB unless you have an AIM meter which then it really does not mater.
Pointing the dish with the SWM LNB is possible with some other meters if they have SWM built in, but they still will not power the LNB so you need to worry the entire system in and either run a jumper from the splitter usually located at the ground or hook a splitter up at the dish (PITA either way campared to just using a non SWM LNB).

No inserter needed with aim either. It powers the SL3 and SWM3. However with a SWM LNB it takes longer to align and 3 times longer to run EIV test

Okay, but if the meter doesn't power the SWM, is a power passing splitter minimally needed with a power inserter?

If you read 2 posts above yours, it will answer your question.

But to answer it again

Yes and a power inserter.

Also, explained it in more detail on page 2.
Here you go.

Two ways to do it with a Birdog
1) Already mentioned which is using a non swm lnb and swapping it out.
This is the way I use every day.

2) You can use a SWM LNB if you have a the 101swm in your meter, power it up with the power inserter, and hook the meter up to to the non power passing (or white) port.
Do not hook it up to the red port or you will fry the meter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts