Setting up 2 monitors on 2 independant graphpics cards

BluegrassGuy1976

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Mordian Gaol
Got a question or two. Actually trying to troubleshoot and could use some input.

I have 2 identical EVGA 8600 GT Nvidia cards in my rig. I was using them in SLI mode for all my PC gaming. I have an Acer 22 LCD monitor, and my old generic CRT monitor that the LCD replaced. Still works.

I was wanting to configure both monitors so I could play one of my MMORPG's on the LCD, and surf, web browse on the other. I managed to set it up on a single graph card, and it works like I want it to, (here come the "but")

BUT...

I want to set both monitors up so that the LCD is on running on one card, and the other monitor on the other card. Both cards are identical as I said. I should probably mention my motherboard is an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and has dual PCI Express connectors, one 16x and one 8x.

Here is my problem. When I have both cards connected, and I connect EITHER monitor to the card in the bottom, 8x port, (it has dual DVI inputs on each card) the monitor doesn't work. Like it doesn't recognize its there. But in "System Information" under the component, display branch, it clearly shows both cards connected because they both have different memory addresses.

Plus when I remove the top card that is in the 16x slot, the bottom one works when I connect my monitors.

How do I get both cards to work at the same time? I want the LCD on the 16x card and the generic monitor on the 8x. My reasoning for wanting to do this is simply so both monitors don't share the VRAM resources off a single card and drop my framerate when I'm playing.

Any thoughts ideas or help?

Problem solved. Was actually rather easy and I feel dumb once I realized what it was. My monitors are supposed to be PLug N PLay so I tried to hot connect them to my cards while my rig weas running but it wouldn't turn them on. Simply rebooted and they both came right on, one on each card.

When in doubt reboot lolz even for PnP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts