setting up for direct tv in nova scotia canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

uncle bob

Original poster
new member and novice,,,we live in florida and are building a summer home in upper eastern nova scotia canada...bought a new direct tv dish and took our florida direct tv receiver with us and tried setting it up with a cheap in line signal strengh indicator with no success...The info i obtained to attempt to set it up was lat 45 degrees 42.2 minutes north, long 60 degrees 48-3 minutes west elevation 23.3, azimuth 253.6. direct tv satellite 110. Hopefully this was the correct info. Got an indication on the signal strength meter of a signal but no luck...don't know what to do...anyone familiar with canadian tv programming will understand why I'm desperate....can someone please point me in the right direction??

direct tv satellite 110. Hopefully this was the correct info.

Have NO idea where you got that info from...the primary DirecTV sat is 101 which has only SD prog on it. The HD comes from 99 & 103 Ka birds, & there's not really anything left on their 110 bird.

Are you SURE you aren't confused with DISH Network instead - which does have prog on 110 & 119???

At 23 degrees elevation you might have issues.. That's REALLY flat to the horizon. IIRC the elevation markings only go down to 25, so you might have to compensate by un-plumbing the mast. That will also throw off the skew setting if it is required.

Last edited:
DIRECTV reception is illegal in Canada (national government protecting its citizens from competition and/or dilution).

To answer the kinds of questions you're asking, we would need to know whether you intend to get SD or HD programming (or both).

What did the recvr say to use for settings when you put in a zip code close to there in the USA ?
I would find the closest US city and use that.
I would probably try Bangor, Maine
I would think that your elevation would be closer to 40 ish.

What did the recvr say to use for settings when you put in a zip code close to there in the USA ?
I would find the closest US city and use that.
I would probably try Bangor, Maine

Good idea Jimbo, but I'd go as far east as possible. The zip code for Lubec ME is 04652.

dishpointer.com covers just about everywhere Google Maps covers and that most certainly includes Nova Scotia. There's no need to extrapolate.

Use "St. Peters Nova Scotia" for the location and whatever dish is being used under Multi-LNB setups.

No it's going to be a lot lower than that. He's in the northeast corner, so 20-25 degrees sounds about right. 40 degrees would be an arc from say Virginia to Nebraska to Central California. But at 25 degrees unless this is a tall house or has no trees or tall buildings within a quarter mile it's going to be a tough shot.

Last edited:
JerseyMatt said:
No it's going to be a lot lower than that. He's in the northeast corner, so 20-25 degrees sounds about right. 40 degrees would be an arc from say Virginia to Nebraska to Central California. But at 25 degrees unless this is a tall house or has no trees or tall buildings within a quarter mile it's going to be a tough shot.

ALWAYS worth a try to get the service though ... I mentioned Bangor because it was a Major city, a place to start.

What are the co ordinates for Bangor or another city in Maine, I would bet that would put him close.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I suggested Lubec because it's about as far east in ME as you can go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts