Setting Up second Dish for RV use with BEV 9242 PVR

DCinBC

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Hi,

:confused:

We have a Bell 9242 PVR set up at home. We want to take this in our RV, but when a friendly technician offered to do this for $180 I thought that a bit high. I have a newish Bell dish that has one LNB. The technician was going to use that dish and add 1 more LNB. He was then going to put in two SW-21 (I think, but they were $35 each) that combined the two feeds. We plan on really only having 1 TV in the RV, and wonder what I can do to make this work? I currently have the Bell dish with 1 LNB with two output cables both labeled SAT 91. If my comments / questions seem raw, its because I am a newbie (but tech junkie)...

Questions:

Can I just use the 1 LNB dish to make things usable? What is needed to record / watch?
Can I use any coax cable to connect to the LNB's 2 outputs (they were cut off) or are these special cables?

My RV only has one input plug on the wall, so can I use those switches if I find them cheaper to "make do".

Should I take the Power Inserter with me?

My PVR doesn't seem to like 1 input only, would this be hard on it?

Remember the 9242 PVR has 2 inputs, so could I split the signal into the 2 inputs on the receiver and have the second one as record only?

Thanks,
DC

Last edited:
If you can oly use one cable you can get a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB. All you need is one cable fed from the LNB, and at the receiver end you use a DPP Seperator. Read the attached file for more info.

Attachments

• dpptwin.pdf
    699.8 KB · Views: 229
  • dpptwinl.jpg
    dpptwinl.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 248
  • dppseparatorl.jpg
    dppseparatorl.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 238
Hmmm, any ideas where I can find the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB in Vancouver Island BC? Thanks,

- One simpler solution that you may want to consider. . .

(1) Get a dual LNBF for your legacy dish, and run the two lines back to your receiver;
(2) Aim dish at 91W satellite;
(3) Pick 480i or 480p, and 4x3 or 16x9 (as appropriate for your TV) & then run check switch in the point dish screen>> Receiver will see that you don't have a switch & you'll only have the 91W channels (all Standard Definition). I usually do this setup part on TV 2. You can skip the check switch part, but then you'll still have all the 82W channels on your guide and you'll get an error message every time you pick them;
(4) You're now good to go with a dual tuner, SD setup (just like the old 5200).

- This is what we've done at our cottage for the summer, and we don't really miss the 82W channels. The dual tuner & PVR is what we need the most anyway.

Addendum . . .

- I forgot to mention that my "simple" solution also means you don't need to worry about the power inverter, since it's not necessary.

The problem is he only has one line going into the RV. He also wants 82W & 91W. No power inserter is required for a Dish Pro Twin LNB ,the receiver will power it no problem & it has it's own internal switch for 82W & 91W. Really the Twin & the seperator is the perfect solution to his situation.

Thanks for the help "someone" is pretty wise :) I was wondering about the LNBS, they have only one port on each while the one in your image has 3 in total...tow on one, and 1 on the other. Not anything to worry about in my application?

Thanks,
DC

Check out the pdf I posted and you will see that the DPP Twin LNB has on the left side Port1 & Port2, and on the right side it has LNB IN. You can use either Port1 or Port2 to send to your receiver. Inside the DPP Twin LNB an internal switch exists that the receiver will recognize and allows you watch both 82W & 91W from the same coax cable. If you have another receiver you could use the other free port on the left for it. The LNB IN on the right side of the DPP Twin LNB will let you add a third LNB for incase Bell ever adds a third satellite postion.

On the receiver side you need to connect the cable that came from either Port1 or Port2 of the DPP Twin LNB to the INPUT port of the DPP seperator. The two SATELLITE IN ports of the seperator feed the two tuners on your 9242.

In the pdf look on page 3, table 2. The 2nd row is your situation; a dual tuner receiver, with a dpp seperator, 1 cable from the twin lnb, supporting 82W & 91W (in your case) & will allow an additional LNBF.

One thing to note is that Bell TV as a company does not officialy recognize Dish Pro Plus equipment, but it works just fine on Bell receivers the same way is does on Dish receivers. I have used Dish Pro & Dish Pro Plus equipment for many years without any issues with Bell TV's 5900, 6141 & 9242 receivers.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend going the Dish Pro route with the DPP Lnb and separator as I have done so myself on the 9242 and 6142 and works great. It's so nice to be able to use one run of RG6 and not have to mess around with legacy equipment. I don't know why Bell doesn't come up to speed and officially sanction Dish Pro equipment as it's so far superior IMO.

Bell offered to set up 2nd dish

Hi,

I know this is an older thread, but ....

We are looking for an RV setup as well as home setup.

My contract with Bell is up and I am negotiating with Bell. Shaw has offered a HD PVR and 2nd receiver which would be mine to keep upon the end of at least 6 months, but we have been pleased with Bell. Telus also offered a great Satellite deal (although it is repackaged Bell) and while in the drivers seat want to grasp the best package possible

Bell immediately offered to: reduce rates 40 % with no contract renewal but also:

-offered another receiver
-offered to set up a second dish for our RV. I am unsure exactly what this would entail as far as equipment and installation, but if I could know what to say to Bell then this would help me greatly.

Basically I have a Bell 9242 PVR at home serving two crt TV's. I need to have a second dish (I have an older tripod and 2 dishes). I have a single entry feed into the trailer. I am not sure what to ask for as far as the second dish, switches, LNB's etc both outside and inside the trailer.

I am planning to ask for the best I can get and don't mind committing to another two years ... after which who knows, maybe other options such as Telus TV or even OTA may be worth examining

Thanks tons, DC

Hi, I'm new to the forum....

DC, are you using the cable input on the side of the trailer,or did you install a new jack just for the satellite?? I am having difficulty with BEV utilizing the cable input on my RV. I have the diplexers to combine and then separate the signals, but I can not get a signal with this set up...I am using an older 2700 receiver if it makes a difference...

Well I purchased the twins and wondered about installon the dish. I switched the lnb onto the dish our BEV installer replaced. Is it pretty much plug and play? I am unsure of the skew setting.... Currently near Chemainus on Vancouver Island and having trouble aiming using the iPhone app from Dishpointer. Wonder if my cheap cable from lnb to trailer may be a culprit? Thanks!! DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts