setting up the actuator with the dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Today i have installed dish and actuator on my mast and have a question or two on alignment of actuator with dish for full arc movement.The actuator i have is installed on the left side (looking from back of dish) and looks like its piston or what ever you call it looks all the way inside the motors tube.Whats the best way to set motor on dish to track the full arc?.I have limited directions with this set up.check this link for set up im installing. (mc-1) C-Band Satellite System

there is no real right or wrong way for settin up the jack clampin point. . .

www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor797917

what are you callin your full arc? from what sat to what sat?
what jack are you usin? whats your dish size?
how long is it?

bein that you hav it on the left side standin behind the dish i assume you are south for the equator or you are settin for a linear/east.

I have a 6 ft dish with a 18" actuator and would like to scan from 30 west (hispasat) to at least 125 west (galaxy 14).I have a motorized 90 cm dish now for the ku band and using this new dish set up for the c-band.My location is

Latitude: 41.4468°N
Longitude: 72.59 W.

Stanley, It seemed to me when I hooked mine up it was a matter of trial and error. My dish was a 6 foot converted to an 8. The actuator is a 24". I mounted it on the right side of the dish. With the actuator mounted but a little loose in the clamp I pushed the dish as far east as I wanted it to go...without dropping it to the ground. I locked the clamp there and had the G box move the dish west. I checked to see how far west it would go before it stopped. It wouldn't go far enough west, stopped at 131W. I readjusted it in the clamp, and pushed the dish slightly so it would go more to the west.I then tightened the clamp again. I moved the dish with the Gbox to my true south sat and checked it. Then I checked my farthest east and west sats. Mine will go about 45W to 139W. The 139W is with my actuator mounted on the right side, and the actuator all the way in. Hope this helps. Blind

I have a 6 ft dish with a 18" actuator and would like to scan from 30 west (hispasat) to at least 125 west (galaxy 14).I have a motorized 90 cm dish now for the ku band and using this new dish set up for the c-band.My location is

Latitude: 41.4468°N
Longitude: 72.59 W.

i dont beleive your 18" will give you what you need. . .like what blind said his gives him almost a 100 degrees and thats with a 24", mine gives me about the same also.

30w to about 125w. . .i guess you can try it, if it does make it the jack WILL be on its limit for sure. . .with the jack on the left side your startin point will be in the east with 30w. . .remembering to set up your true south (72w, AMC 6) sat for adjust of the polar mount first.

I take you live in Ct , therefore east of the mississipi like me in Toronto, therefore the jack for optimun results should be on the right/west side (otherwise will have to pull the dish from the lowest west point).

As others have indicated 18 is too short for such a wide arc and even if it gets there (it depends on the configuration on the mount/dish) overtime the extreme hardwork will kill it. Use a 24" if possible and heavy duty if you really move the dish quite often.

In my opinion the best way is to put the jack on the west side , retract the jack fully (leave just half inch out from the west hardware limit) , position the dish by hand pointing to the general direction of the intended west most satellite and then attach the jack to the mount in that point. the half inch will give you room to tune the west satellite and also set the software west limit.

depending on the mount of the dish and how the jack is position, it will determine how wide the arc it travels and more importatly the degrees per inch ratio or precision of the motion . the best position would be with the jack paralell to the mount or if you prefer perpendicular to the dish but attached to the dish itself as far as you can in a point where it would not touch the dish or mount or anything as it gets to the far east. but it all depends on the mount or the jack mounting hardware.

YESS!!!!

:D:D:D:D:):) I was hooking up the wires to my actuator today and while doing this i happened to glance at the label on the Motor and it said HARL -3624!OH JOY!!! sadoun sent me a 24" actuator instead of the 18" that i thought i ordered.When i went to his web site it said the 18" was our of stock and i guess they replaced it with the 24".

I am watching NHK on my Technosat reciever and recently I found a Panarex xr-500 reciever brand new in the box.
My question is how do i set it up to watch NHK on PAS 7/10c at 68.1 E On trans freq 3739 mhz When i punch in Video PId 1360 as the IF frequency ? notting happens. the dish is 8 ft and the LNB is a dual feed euro star.
My second question is I have another 10 ft dish spare wish to watch the hotbird sat with a KU Lnb called the eurostar. I want to know how to align the dish.
My location is N2454.6E06710.6 Thanks

im sorry i can help with settin up the technosat, but on settin up the dish you can take a look at the link i posted. . .second post from top then if you hav other questions feel free to ask. . .my need to start another post so you dont hi jack this one :)

Dont want to smoke actuator!! The two power wires in diagram say M1 and M2!Which is positive and negative??.

there is no right and wrong way of doin it. . .the same goes for the reed swt wires as well. . .

just attach the wires and if the dish goes east when you command west just swap the wires.

there is no right and wrong way of doin it. . .the same goes for the reed swt wires as well. . .

just attach the wires and if the dish goes east when you command west just swap the wires.
Thanks! I did read that!my only consern is rod shipped all the way in!will motor deactivate if i go wrong way if rod is at limit?

no it will not. the limit switch will stop the motor from retracting the amr further. remember to set the "fully expanded" limit switch before moving the dish to avoid damaging it or the mount or the arm itself. my cs8100 is famous for telling the arm to extend fully without reason!!.

Strange with my 24 in motor and 6 ft dish I can get from 12.5W (really 8 W) to 139W. However the motor will start to bind(at the East limit because of the motor extension) depending on the dish. It is usually recommended to mount motor on the right side of the dish because it allows viewing of the American sats with little or no extension of the motor. Mounting motor on the left side would cause motor to extend fully in the 129W to 139 W sats causing more extension/strain on motor.

Strange with my 24 in motor and 6 ft dish I can get from 12.5W (really 8 W) to 139W. However the motor will start to bind(at the East limit because of the motor extension) depending on the dish. It is usually recommended to mount motor on the right side of the dish because it allows viewing of the American sats with little or no extension of the motor. Mounting motor on the left side would cause motor to extend fully in the 129W to 139 W sats causing more extension/strain on motor.

causin unwanted strain on the motor/jack tubes is my biggest problem atm. . .

i would like my arc to cover from 10e - 135w great location ;)

but i would like to find a way of doin it without havin to use 2 dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.