Setup HELP!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jkrobbie

Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
I'm new to FTA and really need some help. I have a CaptiveWorks 600s receiver and a Geosat 36" offset dish with a universal LNBF. I've set everything up per the instructions in the manuals, but still can't get a signal.

I'm in Souther Colorado at 37 lat and 108 long. I'm aiming for the Galaxy 25 satellite at 97. According to one calculator, I need azimuth 162 and elevation 45.5. Well, I've tried that and can't get a signal. Moving the dish around with a signal meter attached will pick up some signals, but then my reciever doesn't pull them up. On the on screen signal meter, I get strength at around 80%, but no quality. I managed to stumble onto on signal, but only got 20% quality, which allowed me to get some Mexican radio stations.

DOes anyone have any suggestions? Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Kelly

In the receivers Sat / Dish Setup menu, be sure to have an Active TP selected
For Galaxy 25 @ 97, look for 12152 (+ / - 1)

The receiver does not Find signals, just receives them.
It must be "listening" to the correct Freq. to show Quality.

Also, double check your LNB settings
Which exact LNB do you have?

I'm new to FTA and really need some help. I have a CaptiveWorks 600s receiver and a Geosat 36" offset dish with a universal LNBF. I've set everything up per the instructions in the manuals, but still can't get a signal.

I'm in Souther Colorado at 37 lat and 108 long. I'm aiming for the Galaxy 25 satellite at 97. According to one calculator, I need azimuth 162 and elevation 45.5. Well, I've tried that and can't get a signal. Moving the dish around with a signal meter attached will pick up some signals, but then my reciever doesn't pull them up. On the on screen signal meter, I get strength at around 80%, but no quality. I managed to stumble onto on signal, but only got 20% quality, which allowed me to get some Mexican radio stations.

DOes anyone have any suggestions? Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Kelly

First of all :welcomeTo The Satellite Guys Website!!

ARE YOU USING A MOTOR?

Make sure your skew is right on your LNB for a stationary dish if you have no motor. The skew for Galaxy 25 satellite at 97 is -14.2°R for you. If you are using a motor the LNB should be set to 0 or straight up and down. Use The List to find a strong transponder to dial into! 12152 H 20000 is a good one! When you get that and the dish lined up, do a Blind Scan and you should be golden!:up

If you are using a motor do not forget to allow for your Magnetic Deviation for your location. Your Magnetic Azimuth 152.1°. The list will provide that for your location to a tee! Good luck and I am sure that others will chime in to help you further!:)

Last edited:
still need help

I've got a motor, but haven't had any more luck with that than just the dish. Right now, I've got just the dish on. It makes things less complicated for the moment.

The LBN is a Geosat Pro bullet, universal K-band
L.O. Freq. 9.75/10.60 GHz
Input Freq. 10.7-12.75 GHz
N.F. : 0.4dB

This should help aiming the Dish.....
Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew Tilt LNBF Latitude and Longitude values
Enter Your loaction and select the Sat from the list and click GO
Don't for get to Skew the LNB, explained at the bottom of the setup page.

In the receiver's Sat / Dish Setup menu:
Find the Sat you are aiming for, like Galaxy 25 @ 97 west
LNB Type: Universal
Low L.O. - 9750
High L.O. - 10600
LNB Power - On
22KHz - Off

Be sure you have a Live / Active Transponder selected from the TP list. You could be aimed perfect, but the Quality meter will not light up unless you have a good TP selected.

Also, check that the dish is not warped, it happens sometimes during shipping. You can eyeball the rim to see if it is flat, or remove dish and lay it on a know flat surface. If it is warped, before just trying to flex it back, search on how to do it first.

still not working

The dish isn't warped. I double-checked after the last post. The angles calculator site is great! Thanks for pointing me to that.

Well, I've decided to try the Galaxy 10R at 123, to see if I get a better signal. For my location, the Elevation is 44, the magnetic azimuth is 193.3 and the LBN skew is 18.7. I adjusted the dish and have a good signal. However, the quality bar on the receiver is still saying 00%. I've tried a couple different transponders with no dice. I'm actually not sure I'm doing that part correctly. Any suggestions?

Kelly

Do you have your receiver out by the dish? It makes it alot easier to make small increments of the dish, up/down,left,right. FTA signals are lower powered than Dish/Directv ones, so pause between moves for 15 seconds or more.

My Fortec 31" scale was about 4 degrees off, so your dish marking may not be accurate also, so don't forget to try moving up/down.

Signal Quality meter is the only one you should be concerned with.

When on G10R or any other sat, check the receiver and make sure "universal" is shown for LNB selection.

Signal Strength just indicated that you have power to the LNB, your cable and conncetions are good. You are looking for quality.

"I've tried a couple different transponders with no dice"
For G10R, now called Galaxy 18, in the TP list look for "11799" (+/-) 1
See...SatelliteGuys.US - TheList
Just because the receiver has a TP listed, doesn't mean it is still active.
Mfg. don't update their lists very often.

Remember to set the proper LNB settings for each Sat you try to use.

Everything is easier if you can bring a small TV and the Receiver to the Dish.
With the angles set, rotate the dish on the pole watching for the Quality to light up.

working!

I finally got Galaxy 25 @ 97 to work. I figure now I can others to work since I now know the process. It was a combination of new transponders needing to be entered and adjusting the elevation of the dish.

Thanks for all the help!

Kelly

I finally got Galaxy 25 @ 97 to work. I figure now I can others to work since I now know the process. It was a combination of new transponders needing to be entered and adjusting the elevation of the dish.

Thanks for all the help!

Kelly

GREAT!! :up:up

WELCOME to the wonderful world of FTA KU!!

Fine tune things now and you should be fine!

Glad to hear you got it jkrobbie! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts