Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
North Oregon Coast
receiver: Sonicview SV-360 Elite PVR
dish size: 33"
LNBF: Capture Works linear standard lnbf
The Quad Polar LNBF, model QPH-031
motor: Diseq H-H motor model SG-2100

1. I am trying to aim at the closest satellite to my South which should be Galaxy 18.
I am using these settings aiming the dish 162 degrees my latitude setting is at 45.45 on motor. angle setting is at 23* Is this ok or am I missing something?

2. I have a question about the QPH-031? I have one wire hooked to the C and one too L going into a diseq that came with the Sonicview. This then hooks to the lnb hookup to the motor, is that right? The only thing that comes in is Dish sats... that is not what I want. Sorry for the newbie questions, but i'm stumped.
thanks,
Carl

great lnb
get a better DiSEqC switch.
cheap good one CHIETA WSD-2041 HEAVY DUTY
or the Caddy SPAUN sar411

make sure the lnb setting is 10750 on the sonic. then try 11805 H 4580 on 123. if you can get 110 & 119 with the motor just do it from 119 to 123 with usals.
let us know how it goes.
good luck

receiver: Sonicview SV-360 Elite PVR
dish size: 33"
LNBF: Capture Works linear standard lnbf
The Quad Polar LNBF, model QPH-031
motor: Diseq H-H motor model SG-2100

1. I am trying to aim at the closest satellite to my South which should be Galaxy 18.
I am using these settings aiming the dish 162 degrees my latitude setting is at 45.45 on motor. angle setting is at 23* Is this ok or am I missing something?

2. I have a question about the QPH-031? I have one wire hooked to the C and one too L going into a diseq that came with the Sonicview. This then hooks to the lnb hookup to the motor, is that right? The only thing that comes in is Dish sats... that is not what I want. Sorry for the newbie questions, but i'm stumped.
thanks,
Carl

ORPA,

I don't like to see anyone get hosed. I am very opinionated and I don't know you from Adam, so I have no reason to ellude you. Biut, I will tell you from first hand experience that I have experimented with the Sonic View 360 receiver and I was not impressed. In my personal opinion, you got hosed on the deal just the same as I did! The 360 is not a great reciever for FTA, it is a hackers box. Someone from their company might eventually want to have words with me regarding my perception and attitude, but I welcome this a I just might like to knock their block off! :)

I tried their reciever out for a few months and it was miserable. I put forth my best efforsts (and the people here on this site can vouch for me that I am fair and honest and direct and straight forward with anything that I do regarding FTA and receivers.

The Sonic View 360 is not a great receiver for FTA. I know this first hand and I hate to say so, but I own one so I have priveleges, in my opinion. My SV 360 is stored in a box in the spare bedrroom closet. You make your own decision regarding this receiver.

Gordy, aka AcWxRADAR

Carl, be sure you have the correct Port# of the diseqc switch for the satellite you are aiming for. Use the L side of the lnbf, whichever port you have the L-line hooked to. Then be sure you have an active transponder on that satellite selected in your receiver, like 11805H for G18ku. The List, top of page, will give you some active tps to enter in your rec, if it doesn't show them.
It is possible to aim your motor/dish using the more powerful circular satellites, but to tweak for the best tracking you'll need to be looking for the linear birds. In fact, it might be easier to just connect lnb L-side to motor, then motor to receiver while you're working on setting it up, leave the switch out of loop until you're hitting all the satelites.

ORPA,

I don't like to see anyone get hosed. I am very opinionated and I don't know you from Adam, so I have no reason to ellude you. Biut, I will tell you from first hand experience that I have experimented with the Sonic View 360 receiver and I was not impressed. In my personal opinion, you got hosed on the deal just the same as I did! The 360 is not a great reciever for FTA, it is a hackers box. Someone from their company might eventually want to have words with me regarding my perception and attitude, but I welcome this a I just might like to knock their block off! :)

I tried their reciever out for a few months and it was miserable. I put forth my best efforsts (and the people here on this site can vouch for me that I am fair and honest and direct and straight forward with anything that I do regarding FTA and receivers.

The Sonic View 360 is not a great receiver for FTA. I know this first hand and I hate to say so, but I own one so I have priveleges, in my opinion. My SV 360 is stored in a box in the spare bedrroom closet. You make your own decision regarding this receiver.

Gordy, aka AcWxRADAR

I appreciate your honesty about your feelings towards the Sonicview box. It does seem to have a lot of lock ups and yes i'm not satisfied with it, on the other hand how about a recommendation for a good one? I also appreciate the replies from madmadworld and turbosat.
thanks,
Carl

A Fortec Mercury II (now called a Dynamic) is a good box for motors. Others will weigh-in with there favorites of course.
Bob

I have used the Fortec Lifetime Classic for about 4 years now no problems great with the motor (SG2100) 36" dish and great blind scan at least my opinion.

As for a great reliable STB, for SD, I would go with the Coolsat 5K/6K or the Fortec Dynamic/Mercury II or similar receivers. These receivers are just awesome!

As for HD and MPEG4 receivers, I don't have a great deal of experience (first hand) other than the AZBox Premium, which I am beginning to really appreciate quite a bit. Another member put in a plug for VisionSat and there were a few other brands that popped up on occasion. Unfortunately, I don't recall each make and model. Currently, I am focusing purely on the AZBox. It has quite a few quirks and quite a few perks! But, it is becoming a really favorite box of mine.

RADAR

Ok I managed to get my nearest satallite to my long -123.84 west Galaxy 18, but I can't seem to tune any others like AMC 4 I took off the QPH-031 and tuned it with a Chaparral Universal Single LNB. I also reset the elevation of the motor to 30 instead of 30 is that right? and my whole setup is pointing 180 to the South.

thanks,
Carl

Carl, be sure you have the correct Port# of the diseqc switch for the satellite you are aiming for. Use the L side of the lnbf, whichever port you have the L-line hooked to. Then be sure you have an active transponder on that satellite selected in your receiver, like 11805H for G18ku. The List, top of page, will give you some active tps to enter in your rec, if it doesn't show them.
It is possible to aim your motor/dish using the more powerful circular satellites, but to tweak for the best tracking you'll need to be looking for the linear birds. In fact, it might be easier to just connect lnb L-side to motor, then motor to receiver while you're working on setting it up, leave the switch out of loop until you're hitting all the satelites.

turbosat Your suggestion is what i do have for transponder 11805H and I did manage to find a signal. I tried all your other suggestions and the only thing that I got was Echostar sats with the QPH-031 so i tried the Chaparral Universal Single LNB and hit it. Now is to get my elevation right to hit the other birds.
I changed the elevation from 23 to 30 and changed direction of motor and sat from 162 to 180 South.
Just a newbie i'll figure it out with a little help.

I can respond to all you guys at once this way.

madmadworld I don't have nothing in particular to try to tune in just like to find all kinds of programming.

AcWxRadar I thank you for those suggestions, they sound like fine recievers.

melbfla That's two reccomendations for the Fortec box so must be nice.

wescopc Thank's for the suggestion, i'll be sure to check that out for sure.

Ok I managed to get my nearest satallite to my long -123.84 west Galaxy 18, but I can't seem to tune any others like AMC 4 I took off the QPH-031 and tuned it with a Chaparral Universal Single LNB. I also reset the elevation of the motor to 30 instead of 30 is that right? and my whole setup is pointing 180 to the South.

thanks,
Carl

Hi Carl,

Set your motor latitude to 45.45 (45.5 roughly) and set your dish elevation to 23.14 degrees and then make whatever minor tweaks to the azimuth and the dish elevation that you need to peak the signal on 123.0W.

Where did you get the 30 degree elevation? Just curious, wherever it came from, ignore it. It is incorrect.

You can reference the calculator where I obtained this information from at:

Satellite look-angle calculator

RADAR

Hi Carl,

Set your motor latitude to 45.45 (45.5 roughly) and set your dish elevation to 23.14 degrees and then make whatever minor tweaks to the azimuth and the dish elevation that you need to peak the signal on 123.0W.

Where did you get the 30 degree elevation? Just curious, wherever it came from, ignore it. It is incorrect.

You can reference the calculator where I obtained this information from at:

Satellite look-angle calculator

RADAR

Hello,
I didn't find the 30 elevation angle anywhere it just worked for tuning in 123w Galaxy 18, but nothing else would come in except Echostars...man they are strong signals.

so one more question? do i set the motor at 180 or one of these?

True Azimuth: 123.8
Magn. Azimuth: 106.8

im slowly learning... and i'm pretty technically minded believe it or not.
This stuff is pretty hard for a newbie.
thanks,
Carl

Last edited:
Hello,
I didn't find the 30 elevation angle anywhere it just worked for tuning in 123w Galaxy 18, but nothing else would come in except Echostars...man they are strong signals.

so one more question? do i set the motor at 180 or one of these?

True Azimuth: 123.8
Magn. Azimuth: 106.8

im slowly learning... and i'm pretty technically minded believe it or not.
This stuff is pretty hard for a newbie.
thanks,
Carl

Carl, set your azimuth to 106.8 degrees (the magnetic azimuth of 106.8 degrees should be used when using an uncorrected compass). If you are using a GPS which shows true headings, use the 123.8 degree setting. Or, simply dial in to the signal. You must be really close already since you already found the signal from 123 previously.

RADAR

I managed to tune in these satellites AMC4,Galaxy 10R,Galaxy13 and Galaxy12.
I did this by setting my whole setup to 180 S and set the motor elevation to 27 or close to it instead of 23.14 ( couldn't get no signal at all)

Now for a second question? what are some good PBS satellites? I recall getting Montana pbs is their any others?
thanks,
Carl

Montana PBS is on 125W KU, linear. You'll find some other pbs channels there also, most have switched to High-Definition now though.
edit: I don't know if your Sonicview does hd or not.

Montana PBS is on 125W KU, linear. You'll find some other pbs channels there also, most have switched to High-Definition now though.
edit: I don't know if your Sonicview does hd or not.

I tuned into PBS Montana, thanks for your help and no the Sonicview I have is not HD compatible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)