Seven states now considering lowering the drinking age

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it should be lower, not anything to do with the military service or that fact that you can help choose the leaders of the country before you can legally drink. I just don't like the federal blackmail to make it age 21. But, (here's the libertarian in me) there should be very hard consequences associated with screwing up.

When I joined the Air Force at 17 in 1961, it was illegal for me to drink off base. There were, however, places for me to have a beer on base. I was alright with that. What I wasn't alright with was that I couldn't vote in the presidential election even though I was serving the president as my Commander In Chief. I am very glad that has been rectified.

If one is old enough to fight and die for this nation, they should be old enough to enjoy a frosty beverage.
Yeah its kinda weird that an 18 year old can go out and fight and come back with a purple heart and commendations, yet if he comes back and celebrates with a night of drinking with his friends, some "cop" can arrest this man who put his life aside for the good of the country.

Yeah its kinda weird that an 18 year old can go out and fight and come back with a purple heart and commendations, yet if he comes back and celebrates with a night of drinking with his friends, some "cop" can arrest this man who put his life aside for the good of the country.
What does aiming a gun at the enemy and pulling the trigger have to do with making responsible decisions with the drug alcohol? What about those NOT in the military? Apples and oranges.

Even when I was in those years between 18 and 21, I saw the wisdom of the older drinking age. Sure I recognized it as not being fair, especially when put up against the 18 yr old threshold for military and voting.

But I knew that a 21yr drinking age prevented a lot of problems. Aside from the 18 - 20yr old drunks, there is even the issue of those under 18. When I was 17 and under it was a lot harding trying to find a 21yr old to get us beer than it would have been to find a 18yr old willing to do it.

So I think that the age should remain at 21.

Last edited:
My problem is when adjacent states have different drinking ages. I remember a lot of that from when I was young. I also remember the horrible accidents when 18 year olds would take a 100 mile road trip to the neighboring state to drink and then pile into some innocent on the way back. I remember these stories every couple of weeks between Wisconsin and Minnesota and/or Illinois.

I can support an 18 yo drinking age, but feel it should be national. I generally agree about state's rights to control its citizens, but this case is actually about interstate commerce at the core.

Here's one thing you guys are not considering. The problem with the high age is that it promotes binge drinking amongst underaged drinkers. Think about when you were in college or high school and went to parties. The people there drink like fishes, and often it was the underage people who were the worst offenders.

If you don't have "regular" access to alcohol where you can get it whenever you want, then the few times that you DO have access to it you are more likely to go crazy with it, especially if you don't know when you'll be able to drink again. An underage drinker at a party (assuming they're not the DD) is probably not going to just have 1 or 2 drinks. They're going to drink a lot because they can't enjoy alcohol the way it should be.

Like for me, having 2 Coronas or Rolling Rocks with a pizza dinner is almost a meal of the Gods. Having a Jack & Diet Coke (or even JD straight) while I watch a game at a bar is great. People seem to keep forgetting about the idea of "responsible drinking." I don't mean like what they say in all the alcohol ads, which should really just be "Don't drink and drive," but being able to savor and enjoy your alcohol. Most underage drinkers do not drink responsibly and simply enjoy that buzz or calming effect alcohol can have. Most of them drink to get smashed.

Finally, just the fact that the underage drinking is illegal ads that intangible "bad" factor that people are always attracted to. I'm sure there are better ways to curb underage and irresponsible drinking than simply raising the age.

But the stats for teenage driving deaths etc went into declinr when the drinking age was raised.

No one is forgetting about the concept of responsible drinking. they are just saying that perhaps 21 is a better age to make it legal. After all no matter where the line is that makes alcohol more accessible to that age group and the group behind it (friends, siblings etc)

Personally I can see allowing someone th right to vote because he might be sked to fight and die for his country but I don't see it as being relevant to drinking. As for the issue of differnt ages in different states well that is aproblem but only if some states go from 21 to 18.

Ok, so 18-21 year olds drink. That is a fact.

they are worreid about getting caught, so when they drink in many cases its as fast as you can as much as you can.

So if you legalize it, say in just bars it could helpIf you drink in a bar, you are supervised in 2 distinct ways, 1. the staff of the bar has a responsibility, and your wallet paying for the drinks.

or

I think if they legalized beer/wine it would be a good halfway point.,

but either way it would be a pain to legislate.

As much as I hated the fact they move the drinking age in texas from 19 to 21 just 2 months from my 19th birthday... I think it was a good decision.

I hate to say it, just because I know I will be shouted down, but I actually think 21 should be moved to 22 or 23. If for no other reason, to keep the kiddos' underage until the normal age for getting a Bachelors degree in college.

I know for sure that many of you will disagree, but hey, what else is the forum for, if not discussion.

In our day and age of making our offspring "children" for so long, it is time to look at raising the legal drinking age.

I also think the DUI rules are too lenient. NO AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL should be allow for drivers, and the punishment should be PERMANENT suspension of a license, as well as significant jail time. The problem is, the liquor lobby has been too strong lobbying congress.

If there was as much outrage about people killed in alcohol related accidents as there is for soldiers lost in the Iraq war... that would be small start.... do the homework... compare the two.

If you don't have "regular" access to alcohol where you can get it whenever you want, then the few times that you DO have access to it you are more likely to go crazy with it, especially if you don't know when you'll be able to drink again. An underage drinker at a party (assuming they're not the DD) is probably not going to just have 1 or 2 drinks. They're going to drink a lot because they can't enjoy alcohol the way it should be.

Finally, just the fact that the underage drinking is illegal ads that intangible "bad" factor that people are always attracted to. I'm sure there are better ways to curb underage and irresponsible drinking than simply raising the age.

problem is.. people make the same argument about legalizing marijuana and cocaine....

What does aiming a gun at the enemy and pulling the trigger have to do with making responsible decisions with the drug alcohol? What about those NOT in the military? Apples and oranges.

The point is that if someone is considered responsible enough to defend this nation, and vote, they should be considered responsible enough to drink

The point is that if someone is considered responsible enough to defend this nation, and vote, they should be considered responsible enough to drink

Servicemen or not, 18,19,20,etc, too young to drink.

Last edited:
But the stats for teenage driving deaths etc went into declinr when the drinking age was raised.

But is it statistically significant against the long term downward trend in vehicle fatalities due to airbags, engineering improvement, seatbelt usage, etc.?

sorry...don't agree. servicemen are brain-washed NOT to think for themselves, and just to follow orders.

Servicemen or not, 18,19,20,etc, too young to drink.
That's a ballsy statement there. Go visit Walter Reed hospital and present that thought to the patients there.

Sorry but the two are completely unrelated. Giving people who are asked to serve the right to vote at last makes sense because they have a voice in the decisions that might affect them.. giving them the "right" to drink does not do that. It just lets them drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)