SG-9120B and Slimline J-pole/monopole NPRM install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Well, I'm finally getting around to posting this thread. The project itself has been ongoing since early in the month, but setbacks such as Mardi Gras, wet weather, and a hair-pulling D'OH moment have made for slow going.

My first satellite project for the Spring of 2011 has been to replace both non-penetrating roof mounts (NPRMs) on my two motorized dish systems with DirecTV Slimline J-pole/monopole mounts on Superdish NPRM bases. The existing SG-2100 motors are also replaced by the newer SG-9120B models. My original installs used a 2 3/8" commercial NPRM for one motor and a modified J-pole/strut setup pieced together from available parts for the other motor. The old "MacGyverized" J-pole/strut mount was not as firm as I wanted it to be for a motorized system, and I needed the 2 3/8" commercial NPRM for my upcoming Toroidal T-90 install. My solution was to replace both NPRMs with DirecTV Slimline J-pole/monopole mounts attached to NPRM bases designed for the Dish Network Superdish.

Pictures 1 through 3 show the Superdish bases (painted with cold galvanizing compound) and the Slimline mounting hardware. The J-pole and monopole "feet" have already been bolted to the bases. Picture 4 shows the entire 9' x 5.5' flat shed roof where my Ku-Band dish farm lives. The two new NPRM mounting systems are in their places (front), and the newly-liberated 2 3/8" commercial NPRM is in the background (center) waiting for the Toroidal project. The fixed 1 meter Channel Master dish (left) is on 125W for PBS. Picture 5 is a closer look at one of the new NPRM systems. The Slimline J-pole/monopole mounts are absolutely rock solid, and are great for a motorized dish. Due to the mechanics of the J-pole and monopoles, they are also extremely easy to level. Picture 6 shows a modification that I add to poles for motorized dishes. This is a galvanized gate hinge which prevents the motor from sliding down the pole during the aiming and fine-tuning processes. Motorized dish #2 has been installed in Picture 7. The dish is currently parked on 97W. Pictures 8 and 9 are closer looks at motorized dish #2 and the SG-9120B motor. The dish is an Azure Shine model that used to be sold by 3ABN for $50 shipped. Picture 10 is a closer look at the 2 3/8" commercial NPRM that will be used for the T-90. I blocked it down, and its ready to be leveled.

I would have finished with motorized dish #2 more than a week ago, but I made the mistake of not checking to make sure the dish was square with the motor tube. I didn't think it would be necessary to check this, since the dish uses a clamp mount with a bolt that goes through the motor tube. Usually, this is enough to assure that the dish is square with the motor tube. However, with this dish, there was still enough play to set my true south off by about 3 degrees East. I tried for hours to align the Eastern and Western most satellites until I realized what was wrong. Then came the fog and rain, which postponed the project. With any luck, I'll be able to complete the SG-9120B project by installing motorized dish #1 next weekend, when we should have another break in the rain.

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG09.JPG10.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Anole! By the way, with the warm weather we're having, I saw plenty of your green and brown friends running around while I was working ;) ... I should have snapped a picture of the big Anole sunning him (her?) self on my T-90, which is sitting out on the patio...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)