SG2100 CONFIGURATION

Status
Please reply by conversation.

miagel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 6, 2009
MIAMI
Hi guys,

I have sg2100 with the 75cm offset dish... and standar linear LNB.. with the DVB-S Vision plus...what do I need to have the motor set up.. or it is just that... ?

Do I need usals software...?
Can I use the DVBdream to get the motor directed...?
Do I need to set up the motor to true south? (I live in miami)

If can set up my system with the motoir from the beging that will be great.:)

Thanks in advance. :up

Hi guys,

I have sg2100 with the 75cm offset dish... and standar linear LNB.. with the DVB-S Vision plus...what do I need to have the motor set up.. or it is just that... ?

Do I need usals software...?
Can I use the DVBdream to get the motor directed...?
Do I need to set up the motor to true south? (I live in miami)

If can set up my system with the motoir from the beging that will be great.:)

Thanks in advance. :up

Virtually any DVB receiver will run your motor, and you can use either USALS or DiseqC-1.2, ie you don't "need" USALS software, but it's part of most software that runs the Twinhan. However it sounds like for you, you need to first align your system, and aligning a dish with a computer card receiver can be difficult in some respects. Most hobbiests would probably suggest using a STB for the alignment process, since you can take that out to the dish, and the signal meters are a bit faster in response, although still slow compared to analog standards.
If you MUST align your dish with a computer card, I would really recommend trying to use a program called THMOVER, which is a very simple program that will allow you to type in freq/sr , move the dish via diseqC-1.2, and see a signal meter. However you still really need to be able to see this display from the dish while you're making adjustments. Since your Twinhan is likely in a desktop computer that can't easily be moved, I think the best way to handle this problem is to use a laptop connected to your desktop by wireless network. Ie you can run a VNC server on the Twinhan desktop, and a VNC viewer on the laptop, and this will allow you to see the S/Q meter on your laptop out at the dish. I had hopes of doing this myself, however I forgot that there was a metal roof between my wireless router, and it didn't have enough range to get out to my dish unfortunately.
One thing about the Twinhan though, and that is to make sure that you have an ample power supply in your computer. I originally had a slightly underpowered power supply in my computer, and while the Twinhan worked fine as a receiver, the power supply introduced a lot of noise onto the coax, which seemed to interfere with the DiseqC signals. I could see the noise on an oscilloscope. After I upgraded my power supply, the Twinhan worked fine with DiseqC, and moved the dish fine, and switched switches fine. I've read a lot of posts suggesting that the Twinhan had problems with certain DiseqC hardware, some giving instructions for fixing the hardware, but I think the problems may all be related to noise from the computer's power supplies.

Virtually any DVB receiver will run your motor, and you can use either USALS or DiseqC-1.2, ie you don't "need" USALS software, but it's part of most software that runs the Twinhan. However it sounds like for you, you need to first align your system, and aligning a dish with a computer card receiver can be difficult in some respects. Most hobbiests would probably suggest using a STB for the alignment process, since you can take that out to the dish, and the signal meters are a bit faster in response, although still slow compared to analog standards.
If you MUST align your dish with a computer card, I would really recommend trying to use a program called THMOVER, which is a very simple program that will allow you to type in freq/sr , move the dish via diseqC-1.2, and see a signal meter. However you still really need to be able to see this display from the dish while you're making adjustments. Since your Twinhan is likely in a desktop computer that can't easily be moved, I think the best way to handle this problem is to use a laptop connected to your desktop by wireless network. Ie you can run a VNC server on the Twinhan desktop, and a VNC viewer on the laptop, and this will allow you to see the S/Q meter on your laptop out at the dish. I had hopes of doing this myself, however I forgot that there was a metal roof between my wireless router, and it didn't have enough range to get out to my dish unfortunately.
One thing about the Twinhan though, and that is to make sure that you have an ample power supply in your computer. I originally had a slightly underpowered power supply in my computer, and while the Twinhan worked fine as a receiver, the power supply introduced a lot of noise onto the coax, which seemed to interfere with the DiseqC signals. I could see the noise on an oscilloscope. After I upgraded my power supply, the Twinhan worked fine with DiseqC, and moved the dish fine, and switched switches fine. I've read a lot of posts suggesting that the Twinhan had problems with certain DiseqC hardware, some giving instructions for fixing the hardware, but I think the problems may all be related to noise from the computer's power supplies.

Thanks for the answer... My DVB is compatible with (USUAL-diseqc 1.2) like the H-H sg2100 motor... this mean that the swith (diseqc) has to be 1.2? I have a diseqc 2.0 to use for 2 antenna.. dish500 and the one 75cm dish .. but I will use the motor in the 75cm... is there any problem for that.. I mean to send the commands to the motor or not?.. I wil check my powersupply and see if I have to change it... the true is that I haven't try the motor with it... but the other day I connect the motor and moved it manually.. and then stop and put the red light .. I don't know if it is more power need it or .. I have to try it again mand see what happend.

So.. I don't need to put the motor in true south?

Thanks

Thanks for the answer... My DVB is compatible with (USUAL-diseqc 1.2) like the H-H sg2100 motor... this mean that the swith (diseqc) has to be 1.2? I have a diseqc 2.0 to use for 2 antenna.. dish500 and the one 75cm dish .. but I will use the motor in the 75cm... is there any problem for that.. I mean to send the commands to the motor or not?.. I wil check my powersupply and see if I have to change it... the true is that I haven't try the motor with it... but the other day I connect the motor and moved it manually.. and then stop and put the red light .. I don't know if it is more power need it or .. I have to try it again mand see what happend.

So.. I don't need to put the motor in true south?

Thanks

My power issue was not that the computer didn't have enough power to move the dish, but that I only had a ~ 300-350W power supply in a computer that had several cards in slots and several hard disks, and the power supply was just generally over worked and that resulted in noise that was close in freq to the 22Khz used by DiseqC . When I replaced that power supply with one closer to 500W, I didn't have a problem.

Re needing to use true south, yes, to align your dish, you first have to find your true south sat and peak your dish elevation (having set your motor elevation properly), then motor to an extreme sat, and peak that via turning the entire mount on the pole. This is an alignment issue required for any motor or even if you move the dish by hand, not so much related to the computer-- SG2100 questions I thought you were asking.

Regular DiseqC is for regular 1 directional switches. DiseqC-1.2 is for motors. I have no experience with the 2 directional devices, so I've never needed DiseqC-2.0 . I guess I should ask what you're plans are for the DN part of the system, and why you need a DiseqC-2.0 switch. I'm assuming that you're using that via a separate Dishnet receiver, or is this all for NASA-TV or something?

My power issue was not that the computer didn't have enough power to move the dish, but that I only had a ~ 300-350W power supply in a computer that had several cards in slots and several hard disks, and the power supply was just generally over worked and that resulted in noise that was close in freq to the 22Khz used by DiseqC . When I replaced that power supply with one closer to 500W, I didn't have a problem.

Re needing to use true south, yes, to align your dish, you first have to find your true south sat and peak your dish elevation (having set your motor elevation properly), then motor to an extreme sat, and peak that via turning the entire mount on the pole. This is an alignment issue required for any motor or even if you move the dish by hand, not so much related to the computer-- SG2100 questions I thought you were asking.

Regular DiseqC is for regular 1 directional switches. DiseqC-1.2 is for motors. I have no experience with the 2 directional devices, so I've never needed DiseqC-2.0 . I guess I should ask what you're plans are for the DN part of the system, and why you need a DiseqC-2.0 switch. I'm assuming that you're using that via a separate Dishnet receiver, or is this all for NASA-TV or something?

In other threads I had read that if I use USUAL I don't need to align the motor to the true south.. that is why my confusion with this.. I am pretty new in all this so.. reading and reading some times get wrong infomation or I don't know how to read it:eek: the diseqc I just bough it without know.. so that means that I have to buy a diseqc 1.2 to join the two antennas.

In other threads I had read that if I use USUAL I don't need to align the motor to the true south.. that is why my confusion with this.. I am pretty new in all this so.. reading and reading some times get wrong infomation or I don't know how to read it:eek: the diseqc I just bough it without know.. so that means that I have to buy a diseqc 1.2 to join the two antennas.

If you want the motor to be able to follow the arc, the motor MUST be oriented to true south. Usually this is most simply done by peaking on your true south sat. It doesn't matter whether you use USALS, DiseqC-1.2 or move the dish by hand, if you want to align it, it must be aligned south. USALS just makes it easier to find other sats once the system is aligned. BTW, I assume that you're talking about using the 2100 to move your 75 cm dish, not the DN dish?

DiseqC-1.2 has nothing to do with joining two antennas. As I said, DiseqC-1.2 is the protocol your computer program uses to tell the dish to move, and to where.

Now.... why do you want to join 2 dishes? What channels are you planning to receive with the Dishnet dish? If you trying to use it to receive encrypted dishnet programming, then, as you were told in another thread, you should be contacting Dishnet, and pay them to set it up for you and if this is the case, you cannot "join" the dishnet dish with your FTA dish. If you're trying to use that dish to receive unencrypted programming, then you can use a regular diseqC switch (not 2.0 or 1.2) to connect both dishes to one coax, however it would help to know what specific channels you're interested in receiving, as the hardware and software requirred may depend upon what channels you're trying to receive. What are you trying to receive with the FTA dish too? I think I saw that you were trying to receive Hispasat, but not all the channels on those sats can be received with some hardware, and from all locations. Before you get more involved in this, I think you need to explain what you're trying to do, because it might either not be possible with your hardware and/or your view of the sky, or it might not be legal if you're expecting to receive encrypted channels.

If you want the motor to be able to follow the arc, the motor MUST be oriented to true south. Usually this is most simply done by peaking on your true south sat. It doesn't matter whether you use USALS, DiseqC-1.2 or move the dish by hand, if you want to align it, it must be aligned south. USALS just makes it easier to find other sats once the system is aligned. BTW, I assume that you're talking about using the 2100 to move your 75 cm dish, not the DN dish?

DiseqC-1.2 has nothing to do with joining two antennas. As I said, DiseqC-1.2 is the protocol your computer program uses to tell the dish to move, and to where.

Now.... why do you want to join 2 dishes? What channels are you planning to receive with the Dishnet dish? If you trying to use it to receive encrypted dishnet programming, then, as you were told in another thread, you should be contacting Dishnet, and pay them to set it up for you and if this is the case, you cannot "join" the dishnet dish with your FTA dish. If you're trying to use that dish to receive unencrypted programming, then you can use a regular diseqC switch (not 2.0 or 1.2) to connect both dishes to one coax, however it would help to know what specific channels you're interested in receiving, as the hardware and software requirred may depend upon what channels you're trying to receive. What are you trying to receive with the FTA dish too? I think I saw that you were trying to receive Hispasat, but not all the channels on those sats can be received with some hardware, and from all locations. Before you get more involved in this, I think you need to explain what you're trying to do, because it might either not be possible with your hardware and/or your view of the sky, or it might not be legal if you're expecting to receive encrypted channels.

Now I understand a little better... No, I have the dish becasue I though that I could be avaible to get FTA with it to start with, but the tecnichian told me I can't that's why I had to buy the 75cm which I plan to use with the sg2100.. because my sky view is too limited to eastern arc. I would like to be able to see hispasat... the tecnichian and I tried with no answer... I guess the frecuency configuration of the LNB wasn't right in the software.. which I will try again on Sunday and see if I can get any signal quality.

So I will have to align the motor to true south no matter what.. it will hard for me because in my posistion I don't see that degree, the building is on my side covering... but I have the degree for it.. so I can just point the antenna to that direction, I hope get right if not I won't get right psat possition.

:eureka

Now I understand a little better... No, I have the dish becasue I though that I could be avaible to get FTA with it to start with, but the tecnichian told me I can't that's why I had to buy the 75cm which I plan to use with the sg2100.. because my sky view is too limited to eastern arc. I would like to be able to see hispasat... the tecnichian and I tried with no answer... I guess the frecuency configuration of the LNB wasn't right in the software.. which I will try again on Sunday and see if I can get any signal quality.

So I will have to align the motor to true south no matter what.. it will hard for me because in my posistion I don't see that degree, the building is on my side covering... but I have the degree for it.. so I can just point the antenna to that direction, I hope get right if not I won't get right psat possition.

:eureka

Re Hispasat, just make sure you're trying to tune a transponder with an "America" footprint, not the Europe footprint.

Re aligning without being able to see the south sat, just be extra careful to try to set your motor and dish angle as well as you can, and try to align the motor as best you can toward the south, then use USALS and send the dish to the sat closest to south that you can see from your location. When you find that, I'd make minor corrections to the dish elevation and also peak via rotating the whole dish on the mount to refine the south alignment of the motor. Then motor on to sats further to the east, but I wouldn't touch either elevation setting on those, just small mount on pole adjustments. It's harder to align when you can't see the south sat, but on the other hand, you don't need to be perfect since you can't see the whole arc.

Re Hispasat, just make sure you're trying to tune a transponder with an "America" footprint, not the Europe footprint.

Re aligning without being able to see the south sat, just be extra careful to try to set your motor and dish angle as well as you can, and try to align the motor as best you can toward the south, then use USALS and send the dish to the sat closest to south that you can see from your location. When you find that, I'd make minor corrections to the dish elevation and also peak via rotating the whole dish on the mount to refine the south alignment of the motor. Then motor on to sats further to the east, but I wouldn't touch either elevation setting on those, just small mount on pole adjustments. It's harder to align when you can't see the south sat, but on the other hand, you don't need to be perfect since you can't see the whole arc.

Thanks for the tips..... I will try on Sunday and see what happen... I will post results.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts