SG2100 - Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I setup a 90cm with a Fortec Classic and a SG2100 over a year ago for a good friend of mine. Picture below. Everything was working great until one day he called me stating the dish was stuck all the way to the east and wouldn't move back. I told him to turn off the receiver until I got up there to look at it. Once I arrived I noticed the dish would move by the buttons on the motor but something was weird with the USALS movement on it. The motor kept going back to the extreme east. So I took the dish off, brought the receiver outside and started playing. After I reset the receiver the motor and almost whacking the setup with a hammer I got it back....almost. Everything is about 10 degrees off! I've double checked just about everything. The location is at 90.8 N and when I go to the 91W satellite position it should almost be dead zero, right? Nope. It's at the 10 position on the motor to the west. Drives me insane. I was finally able to just set in G10R and G25 via 1.2 and save them. The guy misses his blind scanning and I'm not about to set every single position via 1.2. I'm wondering if something is wrong with this motor? Did something slip? I hate to open the motor but it is already past the 1 yr MFG warranty.

Thinking about taking the trust worthy Fortec Lifetime Ultra up there as I absolutely hate the interface on the classic and its acting weird. Not sure if it is the motor or the receiver. I've already tried flashing the receiver to the latest but that didn't help anything either.

Any ideas before I make the next trip?

fortec_500.jpg

Something might have shifted or when you reset the motor it used that as the new zero position.

To re zero use "1.2" or the buttons on the motor to move it back to the correct zero location and then press the reset button on the motor, turn off the receivers and turn back on, that should set the zero back.

Put the motor back to zero and use a small screwdriver or paperclip and reset the motor...I know when I swap receivers it seems to screw up the motor when I go back to the original receiver. The paperclip does the trick (usually)

Box has to be on and set at 0 before doing that

You can tell I've never had to reset a motor, eh? Must have reset it at 10. I set it to 0 and try it again.

Put the motor back to zero and use a small screwdriver or paperclip and reset the motor...I know when I swap receivers it seems to screw up the motor when I go back to the original receiver. The paperclip does the trick (usually)

Box has to be on and set at 0 before doing that
I just thought I'd mention that the newer motors don't use a hole and reset button method. Here is the procedure from the DMS website for the newer motors.
Reset Instructions for the new SG2100 with 2 control buttons.
  1. Turn off your receiver to stop the power to the SG2100.
  2. Press and hold BOTH control buttons on the motor.
  3. Turn on your receiver to apply power to the motor. At this time the indicator light should alternate between green and red. Continue to hold the two control buttons until the indicator light shows a steady green. The indicator light will normally flash from green to red about 15 times.
  4. Your motor is now reset.

Mine just did that, Digi, but it was moving all the way west. DMS replaced the motor, I replaced the POS Sonicview receiver, problem solved.

If you still have my number gimme a call. I can tell you better than type it all. :)

Only one button on this SG2100. I got everything solved though!

Took the dish off. Hooked up the SatPros receiver and fumbled my way through the box but I was too lazy to unhook my Fortec. Worked the motor over to zero and reset the motor. Not sure if the reset helped or if the different box was the answer but it looked like it was tracking. We hooked the dish back up and tightened everything down. Swung over to G10R and found it after a few nudges. Went back to TS and G11 was there. Went to AMC6 and there she was. Took literally 60 seconds to point the thing. I got lucky! Reflashed the Fortec just to make sure and factory defaulted. Loaded up the list of satellites from my Fortec from home. Got everything tracking in no time. Couldn't have went any smoother. Not sure what fixed it, either the box went screwy or the motor reset at zero fixed it. I've never had to reset my motor at home and I drive it via USALS from two different tuners all the time, not mention the few other brands of boxes I've tested on it.

After 12 pack between the two of us and a bon fire we got 'er tracking from 30W to 148W! Excellent night!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)