Sg2100 motor - "Is it real, or is it Memorex?"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
I've read so many posts about "good" or "bad" versions of the SG2100 flavours of motor, I am wondering about the unit I have in my possession.

I picked it up used along with a flimsy Fortec dish and mount, dabbled with it on a tripod for a while and never mounted it anywhere permanently.

Any comments on whether this is a "real" unit or a variant based on the blurry pictures I have posted?

Motor1.jpg

Motor2.jpg

Motor3.jpg
?

Looks like the older (better) one button model. There are two 'official' flavors of the SG-2100 that I know of. One is distributed by Moteck and the other by DMSI.

The model by Motek is the one that I've had on my 100cm dish for 8 years now and it still keeps running just fine. The USALS is a bit flakey as for a few sats I've saved a location a few clicks off from where the motor puts it but overall it's been a good unit.

If it quacks like a duck . . .

I wish we could get Brian of SatAV to comment.
But he probably doesnt want to burn the competition.
I just remember DMSI changing what was in the box, without any clue in the model number.
And I recall them getting a lot of failures one year.
They didn't want to help nor exchange.
Not sure that the two incidents were in the same year, nor how many variations there were.
Probably three or more.
?.
There is always the possibility of uninformed users who couldn't follow instructions, but that seems suspicious.
I wrote off all 2100's a long time ago, falling back to the always reliable STAB HH90, instead.

This is an old issue and i thought had been relegated to the history books. The "genuine" SG2100 marketing had always made me laugh. When the distributor who coined the phrase changed to another model and continued to call it a SG2100 they complicated their own marketing ploy.

Moteck is the manufacturer that originally offered the SG2100 model to the market and many distributors contracted to build OEM with their branding. Some Moteck OEM motors were built with quality components, others were built with lesser quality. Add to the confusion that many knock-offs have surfaced through the years to capitalize on the familiarity of the name and brand. Were they better or worse than the "genuine" SG2100? Some yes, some no. If yours is really from Moteck, it is likely a well built product.

I can tell you that I also quit recommending the "genuine" DMSI SG2100 several years ago after the centering problem surfaced and the brackets were distorting because if the cheap construction. While the original SG2100 motors from DMSI through about 2005 were great products, the ones in recent years were problematic. Luckily, they are no longer distributing this "genuine" model and there good reviews on their new model.

Life is good when you don't need a ku motor :) SG2100s of all kinds suk! But then they don't cost much and they are made in China. You get what you pay for, and when it comes to Ku motors you can't pay enough. This world still needs a decent Ku motor besides the STAB.
Anole; I wish Brian was competing for the Ku motor business. ;)
The only decent use I got from an SG2100 was after I heavily modified the whole thing. They are not made very well. Cheap material. The bracket flexes as you tighten it and loses your signal strength. They really could use more power than they get from the receiver through the switches and coax and you still need the power to turn on the LNB(F) also. Too many variables for failure in that design. I've owned a bunch of them, one button, two button, they all developed problems or just died.

Well, that's all very clear then...

:)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it lasts through the winter until I can park the ChannelMaster 1.2 on a pole with a Stab.

?Thanks all.
Make sure you get the big STAB motor, HH120. The others are too small, HH100, HH90 for that 1.2M CM dish.
Also look for adapters made to mount the CM 1.2m on a STAB http://www.satboy.com/index.php?a=385

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)