SG2100 Motor with Bargain 6ft Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
:confused:Is there a member on this forum who is sucessfully using the "Bargain" 6ft dish with a SG2100 dish mover?. This dish seems light enough but is this dish too heavy for this type of motor?. I have just spent some time trying to figure out how to go about interfacing both units.

There is some type of bracket to be bought or be made to make the system work. If anyone is using this setup, and have some helpful desing, pictures, or ideas and who are willing to share with me and the rest of the members, THAT would be very appreciated. In the mean time I will continue to determine how to go about doing this modification.

Of course, all of this will depends on whether if the dish is not too heavy for this motor. Hopefully some one will have an answer for this proposed project.
avenger

There has been discussion. Several, actually.
I don't have a link, but maybe try the search function (advanced).

Wind seems a major enemy of the project. :)

:confused:Is there a member on this forum who is sucessfully using the "Bargain" 6ft dish with a SG2100 dish mover?. This dish seems light enough but is this dish too heavy for this type of motor?. I have just spent some time trying to figure out how to go about interfacing both units.

There is some type of bracket to be bought or be made to make the system work. If anyone is using this setup, and have some helpful desing, pictures, or ideas and who are willing to share with me and the rest of the members, THAT would be very appreciated. In the mean time I will continue to determine how to go about doing this modification.

Of course, all of this will depends on whether if the dish is not too heavy for this motor. Hopefully some one will have an answer for this proposed project.
avenger

We need to find you a bigger dish with a proper mount, my friend. You'd be much happier. Did you ever go ride out to Quail Ridge and check on that 10 footer? I forgot all about it until I read your post...LOL

6 feet is a bit big for an sg2100 unless it is extremely light....but even then the wind would be a problem....personally i think a 1.2m dish is overworking an sg2100....you would be better off going with an sg9120....

I'm currently using an HH120 motor to drive the WSI 6ft dish. If you do a search on my name you will find several threads with pictures. I ultimately plan on fabricating a new bracket to allow me to use an SG9120 although I've too busy/lazy as it works as-is. Also, my dish is in a relatively protected area as wind could be factor as others have eluded and weather is usally not a factor in my area.

As Mikey11 pointed out, the SG-9120 A model would be a far better candidate for such a project. It can handle a heavier load, and you'd need all the help you could get.

I personally wouldn't try it, but that's just me ;) ...

Thanks for all the replies, just after posting that question my daughter call with an emergency therefore did not get a chanse to review the post replies untill this morning.

stogie, I made a few passes in that area and did not see a thing. But you are right I do defenitely need a bigger dish, it is not that I am not happy with the 6' dish, but as you know the dish is limited with both bands.

Anole, I just went and took a good look at the motor and it seems kind of weak for that size of dish. And since we have just began our yearly "Hurricane" season, this idea of the SG2100 is a not go.

When I decide to change motor, Mickey11's idea sounds very good to go with the SG-9120.

Well let me think some more about this, and see which way to go. It would be nice if some one just happens to give or trow a 8' dish my way away. Ha. Ha.

Thanks again for all your input.
avenger.

I would NOT suggest mounting that size of dish on any HH motor.

It is simply - unsafe! Yes, you could get away with it, but would I hang that monstrousity over my head in a wind storm? Heck, NO!

The hanging weight is not the issue. These motors are not designed for the wind loading that will occur.

Kinda like using a length of dental floss as a tow strap. :eek:

Well let me think some more about this, and see which way to go. It would be nice if some one just happens to give or trow a 8' dish my way away. Ha. Ha.

See my signature and drive to east TN. I'll be there the 23rd.

SatelliteAV, Well you have just made up my mind about not going ahead with that idea. I have spent the last forty minutes reading a nine page post about the SG-9120 and saw some very mixed emotions answers from other members of this forum on this subject. What motor would you recommend for this intended project, and if you are familiar with the 6' dish "Special" as we call it, what type bracket or setup will I need to make this work?.

I have done business with you in the past and I am very pleased with the service.

mjac, thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it, but do not have the means to go and get it that far away. If you were three hundred miles closer, I would be at your door steps in a minute. Thank You very much.
avenger.

Didn't your 6' special have a polar mount? If so, just add a 24" actuator and a Vbox or Gbox.

If your special did not have the polar mount, find a damaged C-band dish with a polar mount and retrofit the 6' onto the mounting ring. Personally, I would just find a good quality used 8' or 10' dish for free or nearly free before I would bother with a retrofit. The dish panels on that model are far too light weight and of light poly coating to last many years. A short road trip to Mjac's place and you will have a much better set-up!

The answer is, Yes to all. Polar mount, 24" actuator and a Gbox. What I want is to make the movement of the dish much easier than using the Gbox as a standalone. The Gbox as you know does support DiSeqc 1.2 but not support USALS, and would like to use a motor that uses USALS.

Why are you only interested in using USALS? If it moves the dish to the correct position, what difference does it make?

Best choice for USALS on C-Band is a 1.2 meter MiniBUD. I think SatelliteAV might still be running his special of $200 shipped for one/$300 shipped for two. I got in on this deal the last time he had it for exactly this purpose.

A good quality DiSEqC H-H motor will have no problems with a dish of that size, but of course you'll be limited by the size of the dish as to what you can receive.

Why are you only interested in using USALS? If it moves the dish to the correct position, what difference does it make?

I am not only intrested on using USALS, it just that I want to experiment with something different, but from what I seen and read, this project is not going to happen.

You might try mounting a HH motor in an offset non-load bearing bracket and connect to drive the existing polar mount assembly with a one to one gear ratio. Might be an interesting project for bicycle chain and sprockets!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)