Status
Please reply by conversation.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
Sh-Boom Sh-Boom!

Here's an oldie! From 1954, the song Sh-Boom! was performed by both the Chords and the Crew Cuts.

h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWqFLzGLi8&feature=related

I was just playing with my AZBox and noticed that I had not yet installed satellite 63.0W in my list. This satellite was previously known as Estrela do Sul and is now known as Telstar 14. After adding this satellite from scratch, I entered and scanned TP 11966MHz V, SR 11280KS/s. You will find this listed in "The List". Lyngsat doesn't show the TP frequency or the symbol rate correctly.

This is the SCETV Feeds TP and provides 10 FTA channels. It is a nice compliment to the PBS channels on 125.0W AMC 21.

One channel was presenting a pledge drive and if you pledged $150 you received a 6-CD set of old, original songs from the 1950's.

Dean Martin, Elvis, Fats Domino, Marty Robbins, The Platters, Connie Francis, Bobby Darin, Frankie Laine, Gogi Grant and a ton of others. We have many of the songs they mentioned or played on old 78 discs! So cool!

They pulled together a concert with many of the original acts performing their hits and recorded it on DVD. If you pledged $250 you got this DVD along with the 6-CD set.

Well, I am not doing a pub drive for them, just mentioning what I saw there. I liked it a lot as they inserted scores from the concert of some of the stars performing their songs. It was great!

On another channel, they did a NOVA show regarding solar power that was really good. Previous to that there was a nature show about lions.

If you are a PBS fan, this sat should be on your box. It at least adds a few more FTA channels that are decent to watch to your list.

RADAR

They also had the Chordettes perform "Lollipop"! They sounded great! h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DuC0tE7V4

Last edited:
I'm a big PBS fan, I suppose I spend more time over on 125W than anywhere else. I didn't catch the oldies drive although I've seen some of them before and being from that era, I really enjoy the nostalgia of it. Some of those people are well advanced in years and can still belt it out.
I caught the solar show, thats always been an interest of mine. The home in Maine(close to me) that has been featured in Solar Magazine was very impressive. I may take a drive there sometime and have an up close look. The solar push in Germany is certainly impressive, its hard to believe a pig farmer would invest $5 million in solar panels but the way the country has it set up there is money to be made. I've seen that show a few times over the last couple of years.
You've pushed me over the edge, I'm off to find Telstar 14, I've known it was there for a while but have been lazy to put it into my Gbox 3000.

I'm a big PBS fan, I suppose I spend more time over on 125W than anywhere else. I didn't catch the oldies drive...

I really enjoyed the Smothers Brothers look back on Montana PBS yesterday. Caught much of it. Pretty good video quality for most of those old shows, and I was there when they were first run, so it was a treat. And the brothers are looking old, but Tommy is still my favorite. I always liked him better. (haha)

I'm a big PBS fan, I suppose I spend more time over on 125W than anywhere else. I didn't catch the oldies drive although I've seen some of them before and being from that era, I really enjoy the nostalgia of it. Some of those people are well advanced in years and can still belt it out.
I caught the solar show, thats always been an interest of mine. The home in Maine(close to me) that has been featured in Solar Magazine was very impressive. I may take a drive there sometime and have an up close look. The solar push in Germany is certainly impressive, its hard to believe a pig farmer would invest $5 million in solar panels but the way the country has it set up there is money to be made. I've seen that show a few times over the last couple of years.
You've pushed me over the edge, I'm off to find Telstar 14, I've known it was there for a while but have been lazy to put it into my Gbox 3000.

Excellent Starman!

I nearly forgot about this sat and the channels here. With my 76 cm dish and where it was originally positioned, I wasn't receiving a good signal. Now, I have upgraded to a 1.2 M dish and located it in a better spot in my yard and 63.0 W is coming in very well.

I know that the channels are all feed channels, but there is usually something on at least one of them. When I tuned in, I got lucky and several shows were on that I could choose from. When I got to the PBS publicity and donation drive, I just happened to tap into the program when the Crew Cut group was doing their Sh-Boom song. It was great. They may seem like a bunch of old guys, but so are the Rolling Stones! Ha Ha! They sounded pretty doggone good to me, if not better than they used to, they were good!

I am a little behind for that specific era of music (I wasn't quite born yet), but my folks had a really good stock of old 78's that I loved! Great music! I still listen to them - we still have them all. Even as scratchy as they are, they still sound good to me. Some of my favorites were "Shotgun Boogie" by Rosemary Clooney, lots of stuff from Frankie Laine and My Truly Truly Fair by Guy Mitchell

h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzmDGapmsFg

That solar show was really a good one, did you catch that on 125?

RADAR

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the Smothers Brothers look back on Montana PBS yesterday. Caught much of it. Pretty good video quality for most of those old shows, and I was there when they were first run, so it was a treat. And the brothers are looking old, but Tommy is still my favorite. I always liked him better. (haha)

Oh My!

The Smothers Brothers were great! They were so hilarious! I loved them very much! I can almost feel the pain in my stomach from laughing at their skits! You don't get to see that good stuff anymore. And my Mom always liked Tommy best, too! LOL

RADAR

Oh My!

The Smothers Brothers were great! They were so hilarious! I loved them very much! I can almost feel the pain in my stomach from laughing at their skits! You don't get to see that good stuff anymore. And my Mom always liked Tommy best, too! LOL

RADAR

Exactly. I was laughing hard at the skits, the original shows are still funny after all these years, and that's not an easy thing to do, to stay relevant into the future.

Starman,

Here's a link to Rosemary Clooney's version of Shotgun Boogie:

h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUXz1TUMHo

Yes, I LOVE this music and I (we) still have the old 78's that they show in the videos!

I think Tennessee Ernie Ford had first claim to this song, but we didn't have a recording of it.
I think that I remember this from repeats of The Grand Ole Opry on PBS:

h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaX1NkE3rmk&feature=related

RADAR

Last edited:
I caught the solar show, that's always been an interest of mine. The home in Maine(close to me) that has been featured in Solar Magazine was very impressive. I may take a drive there sometime and have an up close look.

I caught that the owners of this solar house in Maine offer tours to the public as well. I myself would like to see the setup up close.

I am not a tree hugger or a green world fanatic, but common sense tells me that we should be doing more in regards to alternative energy than we are right now.

As a kid in junior high school, I wrote up a science project for my class where I outlined using solar power to separate refuse water via electrolysis into hydrogen and oxygen and using these fuels to power an automobile. A simple and basic idea without any major development strategies. I was thinking about this during the mid to late 70's to early 80's. It now seems odd to me that I didn't take the initiative to pursue it further. Even more odd that not many others did either.

I love to watch these alternative fuel shows, especially now. There are some really elaborate systems out there. I watched one show where a guy had a hydrogen generating facility. Using basically the same principal that I was pondering. He used solar energy to heat and power his home and to crack water into its components and then used the hydrogen to run his home at night when the sun was down under. Really fantastic operation, but not so out of reach.

I wonder if we could start a forum here on Satelliteguys that would be devoted to the area of alternative power? It might prove to be quite interesting and we could be doing a service to ourselves and to the country/world at the same time. We've got a lot of ingenuity here, we could come up with all sorts of good ideas. It's a thought.

RADAR

Starman,

Here's a link to Rosemary Clooney's version of Shotgun Boogie:

h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUXz1TUMHo

Yes, I LOVE this music and I (we) still have the old 78's that they show in the videos!

I think Tennessee Ernie Ford had first claim to this song, but we didn't have a recording of it.
I think that I remember this from repeats of The Grand Ole Opry on PBS:

h++p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaX1NkE3rmk&feature=related

RADAR

Good stuff!! Yes I remember the Tennessee pea-picker singing that song. I think he wrote it.
We had some 78 records as well but I can't remember much about them, I think they were mostly big band stuff.

I saw the Smothers brothers on Montana PBS too, I saw some of those when they were run the first time and have to admit, most of the political stuff went over my head at that time. It was interesting that cbs had never expected the show to last and had promised Tommy a lot of power in determining show content, then tried to censor some of their skits when the show started to pick up steam. They had a success on their hands but didn't have much control over it and Tommy was loving it.:D

OK, I'm having trouble finding this sat. Are these s2 feeds, maybe, or 4:2:2 feeds? I ask because you mentioned finding them on your Azbox, and I'm using the Coolsat 5000.

Photto

Which are you asking about Telstar 14 at 63W or AMC 21 at 125W? In any case they are dvb 4:20 feeds. I can blind scan them in with my Coolsat 5000. Maybe you need to bump your dish a bit?

OK, I'm having trouble finding this sat. Are these s2 feeds, maybe, or 4:2:2 feeds? I ask because you mentioned finding them on your Azbox, and I'm using the Coolsat 5000.

Photto

Photto,

No special feed for these channels. They are SD and I pull them in with both my AZBox and my CS 5K. Could be weak in signal, but I could get them at 66-69% using a 76 cm dish and the Coolsat 5K rcvr. I gained several % points by going to a 1.2 M dish and relocating it to a better position. If I looked at the signal on the Coolsat one again, it would probably be in the low to mid 70's.

Hard to judge the signal level on the AZBox. The other day it was showing in the 52% - 58% range but jumping around on the AZBox.

RADAR

Hmmm ... I must be doing something wrong. I tried setting up one of the 0.0E sats to 63.0W, and tried both USALS and 1.2 to drive the dish, but nothing, not even a blip.

I "seem" to have everything else, even getting what many have called a low Q on RTV, in the 70's, but nothing for 63.0W. (And yes, it IS 63W, I made the mistake of not realizing for a while that I was looking for 63E, but corrected that.)

I'll try again in a few days when the weather warms a bit.

Photto

Phottoman,

Are you able to see signals from 72.0W AMC 6? Or anything from the test card channel on 61.5W?

You have to be right on the arc to pull in 63.0W. It is picky.

RADAR

Doo-Wop does nothing for me really, especially seeing guys in their 60s and 70s performing it.

I like old Kinescope films and where possible, videotapes of 50s and 60s variety shows, espelcially the midlle 60s and later in color.

Of such PBS specials, I have watched one on 60s era Country, British Invasion, and Ed Sullivan Rock & Roll. Also a must watch each end-of-year holiday season is Andy Williams and Bing Crosby variety specials, for my "Christmas" feelings is routed through the 1960s.

I'll try again in a few days when the weather warms a bit.

Photto

Heck Phottoman,

It's not blowing snow too badly here. I can still see the road out front. And it's a balmy 22.8 degrees F outside. You don't mind putting on a sweater and a hat do you? Heh heh! I am just chuckling!

I have been out to my dish three times since sunrise and each time I go out, I cannot find my previous tracks! Next time I go out, I am going to tie a rope to the door so I can find my way back. LOL

RADAR

I have been out to my dish three times since sunrise and each time I go out, I cannot find my previous tracks! Next time I go out, I am going to tie a rope to the door so I can find my way back. LOL
RADAR

Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying(not) the winter season. The forecast for tomorrow is snow, freezing rain, then rain. Radar are you making all those trips for tuning purposes or just to keep the snow from building up on the dish?Gotta be tough tuning a dish in a snowstorm:D

Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying(not) the winter season. The forecast for tomorrow is snow, freezing rain, then rain. Radar are you making all those trips for tuning purposes or just to keep the snow from building up on the dish?Gotta be tough tuning a dish in a snowstorm:D

You gotta love it. If you didn't, you would have to leave it and move to Florida or someplace like that! :)

I was running out to the dish to take some readings for another thread. Babadem has the same dish and motor setup and trying to get it aligned, so I was checking my angles to report to him.

Amazingly enough, the snow is not collecting on my 1.2 M dish (yet). The wind is just right and the snow is very dry so it keeps blowing off.

If I had to do any tuning, I would be tuning into a DVD! The wind is quite raw out there and I wouldn't want to be out there too long.

RADAR

EDIT: Just to make a note of ice, freezing drizzle and such, that is what I hate the most! Dry snow and cold temps are bad enough for me, but you add any ice and slush to that and you simply have a mess! Oooh! I hate it! I went through one ice storm here where a Sycamore limb, about 14-16 inches in diameter broke off the tree and hit the frozen ground so hard that it buried itself in the ground more than a foot deep. I couldn't get it out until the spring thaw. I was lucky that it was in the yard and not in my roof.

Oh My!

RADAR
Yep, my two favorite shows at a very young age were the Smothers Brothers and Flipper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)