Shared DVR on 2 TV's ?

mopar_mudder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Wisconsin
Currently have a Dish Network dual tunner DVR that has 1 HDTV and 1 standard TV output. We have added another room that has HDTV.

So what is the easiest, cheapest way, to have both HDTV's share a DVR. I don't want a seperate unit with DVR at each TV, we watch all of our recorded events from both places depending on what we are doing. Can't belive that Dish doesn't allow their DVR's to link over home network to act as one unit.

You can't "share" the DVR in the "Duo DVR" sense: each with its own distinct viewing experience. If you want independent HD viewing on both TVs, you'll need to add a receiver/DVR for the new TV.

If you could be happy with both TV's using TV1, provisions could be made, but I'm going out on a limb and assuming that's not what you had in mind.

If you can live with both TV's sharing the same picture (TV1), connect one with component cable and the other with HDMI and a UHF remote for the room away from the DVR.

I have thought of spliting the TV1 signal actually. I already have a HDMI switch that I could use to do this and HDMI cabling in place. But their are times when different programing will be watched on both TV's so it is not an ideal situation for me.

I have no problem getting another reciever for the secong room. I just wish they they could be linked to share the DVR from one to anther. Other wise we would have to record all of our shows on both of them.

Or is their any way to share an external hard drive?

How about their sling deal? I will have a home theater computer hooked to the second room.

Or is their any way to share an external hard drive?
You can share the content by physically moving the external hard drive between HD DVRs.
How about their sling deal? I will have a home theater computer hooked to the second room.
This should work with a ViP922 or maybe the unreleased USB Sling device for receivers. I'm not sure the Sling software for computers will do HD.

Almost any single-spindle HDD over 40GB will work with Dish's USB connection. (Seagates have a problem with going to sleep and not being recognized unless that is disabled.) I have 5 WD 750GB, a 1TB Cavalry, a 1TB Buffalo, a 1TB Hitachi, and a 1.5TB WD with the last two bare drives sharing a stand. This on 2 722s and potentially a 622. I have many powered but plug only one-at-a-time USB per VIP. I would not buy smaller than 1TB now and expect to spend $60/TB plus case cost. And that cost is coming down, now nearer $50/TB. There is a recent problem with EHD plugged in, reboot is delayed by 15 min.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts