sharing service

mdscooby

Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
I have done this before for a friend. where he had 2 houses and he wanted dish at both. So you take the 2nd receiver to the other house and hook it up with another dish and it worked fine. But now that i try to do this for my self I don't get all my programing, just real limited channels. If anyone can help this would be great? :confused: Thanks in advance!!
</IMG>

technically you cannot keep the 2nd box at the other house because that is account splitting.

But I'm confused as to the actual question. What channels re you getting?
What setup is it?

Sounds to me like a box that isn't activated to me. And what you are trying to do is not allowed.

First of all, that would be against all of the rules. Secondly, it sounds like you are only getting one satellite. You should be using a dish500 dish that can collect both 110 and 119. Sounds to me like you are using an older style round dish that can only pickup one satellite at a time.

depending on the channels that you are receiving it is either the receiver not being active, receiver needing to be rehit, or dish needs to be realigned....but as a tech for dish...account sharing is not allowed lol

I have done this before for a friend. where he had 2 houses and he wanted dish at both. So you take the 2nd receiver to the other house and hook it up with another dish and it worked fine. But now that i try to do this for my self I don't get all my programing, just real limited channels. If anyone can help this would be great? :confused: Thanks in advance!!
</IMG>

You have got to be kididng me! You actually think this is okay? "Moving" is cheating the system, but this...PLEASE! :rolleyes:

Just for my own info--mdscooby implies that he owns both houses. It isn't allowed to take your 2nd receiver to your other house?

no.. its not allowed at your second house. The thinking is if you were to get service in other ways such as cable, you'd have to pay for services at that location. Same for phone, electricity, etc.

Well I know when I first got Dish there big marketing thing was saying a Dish is portable unlike cable. But thats also when Charley said it was "OK" to take a receiver to your cottage/vac home :rolleyes: . I dont see any problem with having an extra reciever at a vac home as long as your the only one using it. Thats also what make VOIP so nice, you can take it with you as long as you have a broadband connection.

</IMG>

Dish has addressed this practice starting a few years ago. Before then, it was pretty easy to do what you are trying to do, but no more. Is this other house on the same property? I think we should give this poster the benefit of the doubt regarding his question as someone who really doesn't understand that Dish considers this practice of "account stacking" to be a violation of the residential agreement, and illegal (considered theft, is it not? correct me if need be). To many consumers, "account stacking" would seem reasonable. However, dish does have arrangements for people who have a second system at remote cabins, etc, that can be on the same account. You may want to call Dish and find out.

directv and dish both allow the receivers to be moved with the owner of the account. If you had two homes you could move the receivers back and forth between the two based on where you are living. According to the rules, all receivers have to be at one house, you cannot split up accounts. One way dish has combatted the practice of account "stacking" is by only allowing a total of 6 tuners per account. Direct allows an unlimited number...I have seen as many as 30 receivers on the same account when I was in the call center

directv and dish both allow the receivers to be moved with the owner of the account. If you had two homes you could move the receivers back and forth between the two based on where you are living. According to the rules, all receivers have to be at one house, you cannot split up accounts. One way dish has combatted the practice of account "stacking" is by only allowing a total of 6 tuners per account. Direct allows an unlimited number...I have seen as many as 30 receivers on the same account when I was in the call center

Incorrect. You have two houses, you have two accounts. The account at the "vacation home" can be put on pause at any time for any amount of time. No wonder people have so many complaints about CSR, they don't even know the rules laid down by Dish.

Well I know for a fact that directv allows that, and I have asked many csr's and other techs who have told me that same thing goes for dish. You have a link to anything official?

Well I know for a fact that directv allows that, and I have asked many csr's and other techs who have told me that same thing goes for dish. You have a link to anything official?

From Dish Retailer Chat in Jan. 2006:
Official Dish policy on Second Location/vacation homes from last weeks retailer chat.
· Second location/vacation homes policy
>Customers who have a Vacation Home or Second Fixed Location
can set up an account to receive DISH Network services
>Customers will NOT be allowed to share receivers between their primary residence and any other fixed location on a single account
>The customer will be required to create a separate account for the Second Fixed location/Vacation Home. This account will be allowed unlimited seasonal downgrades or service on this account

That's kind of a stupid policy considering dish pays the initial equipment costs and if a person is only paying for a couple months of service a year they will quite possibly never recoup even half of it. I wonder if anyone has actually gotten in trouble for carrying their receivers with them to their other house lol. At dtv customers were just supposed to call to change the address if they were going to be there more than a month. I have had people call dish about it too and no one said anything about it being wrong, I have friends that do it all the time. I guess it's one of rules like the "it's illegal to carry ice cream in your back right pocket on sundays"...its on the books, but isn't enforced

That's kind of a stupid policy considering dish pays the initial equipment costs and if a person is only paying for a couple months of service a year they will quite possibly never recoup even half of it. I wonder if anyone has actually gotten in trouble for carrying their receivers with them to their other house lol. At dtv customers were just supposed to call to change the address if they were going to be there more than a month. I have had people call dish about it too and no one said anything about it being wrong, I have friends that do it all the time. I guess it's one of rules like the "it's illegal to carry ice cream in your back right pocket on sundays"...its on the books, but isn't enforced

Have you not read the plethora of posts about Dish's audit team? Apparently not.

Have you not read the plethora of posts about Dish's audit team? Apparently not.

At any rate the statements contradict to a measure. You can't "pause" most accounts in excess of more than six months, and even then you can't do it more than once before a calendar year passes until the next "pause". You can downgrade your programming, that's true, but there's nothing in that statement that says downgrade fees won't be charged.

It's kind of up in the air. That policy is over a year old, and if you can find a CSR that's been around for that long you're doin pretty good. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)