Shaw Direct dish aiming problem

ccunurse47557

Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
USA
okay here we go I just took down a working Directv dish....I am trying to install a Shaw Direct dish here in the USA,,southern Indiana....I am having a heck of a time tuning it in...I have used the look angle calculations and per lynsat the working shaw direct satellites should be just a move to the right of where the directv dish was pointing BUT I am having a heck of a time getting it tuned in I am using the looking for satellite feature of Shaw Direct DVR and all I get are signal flashes on the screen nothing that wants to lock on so I can tune it in...anyone have any ideas...:confused:

Just what the calculator advises me around 110' BUT the instructions say to use 90 degrees as a starting point how could that be right

Starting "90 degrees" refers to having the dish with "no" skew, or basically level. So if dishpointer is telling you 110 degrees, you need to rotate 20 degrees clockwise when you're behind the dish. And that skew sounds right to me; I was at ~109 back in SE Illinois).

The thing you need to know about Shaw is that they use a weaker signal compared to D*, so it's harder to dial in, and that they use linear polarization, so skew really, really matters. Be patient, you'll find it.

I have tried everything from 90 to 115 degrees and moving it ever so slowly and yes tomorrow is another day but what really confuses me is the "flashes" of signal I keep getting are they from "other" satellites or from the two I am looking for

Tune to channel 300, then change the channel to 302. 300 is on 111, 302 is on 107.

Go to Option - 4 - 3 - 1

Where it says EMM provider type 4128

If it turns green, you've got 107.

You may wanna try a little bigger elliptical dish for a more stable signal Quality, (you may use the same Quad LNB if its not toast).
Check your cable connection, bring the receiver and small monitor (if its possible) close to the dish as possible using a shortest good RG6 cable.
Also, Try to get the signal from 111 sat , with the proper dish skew, you should automatically getting 107w sat..
then Check signal on these 4 channels:
Classic: Ch.299, Ch.300, Ch.350 and Ch.701
Advanced: Ch. 299, Ch. 58, Ch. 70, and Ch.701
If it still no-go call Shaw direct customer service at 1.888.554.7827.
Hope it helps. good Luck and have a lot of patient.

Hello all,

Just came to this post late, so this may not be of any use to the OP but I thought I would contribute anyhow.

Although this is my first post on this site I have aimed a few StarChoice / Shaw Direct dishes.

The first thing I would suggest - Shaw Direct have a good self install manual that you can download as a PDF from their web site.

Dishpointer will give you the exact values for your location to hit both Anik birds.

Assuming you are using one of the newer 5xx or 6xx receivers, if you are getting any yellow on the signal tuner bars while moving left or right - stop. Wait at least 10 to 15 seconds to see if the tuner level changes. If it doesn't drop, try just moving the dish up or down very slowly to see if it is your mast plumb or elevation settings.

Finally, the quad LNBs for the ShawDirect 60cm and 75cm elliptical dishes are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

And I miss my Canadian TV, one Olympics done by NBC was enough.

Anyway I set it up and on some channels all is good for example on channel 111 TSN SD my signal strength is 97, on some SD channels it is 0 like channel 67

I get no HD signal at all I have re skewed the dish all the heck and back, according to dishpointer my skew in zip code 27604 should be 119, I have gone from 80 -130 no luck getting any signal on channel 700 or 300. I alos get those sudden big red flashes of signal but they disappear right away.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)