Shaw Home Away From Home questions

ac3100

Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I'm assuming this program is still available.....

When you send in the proof of the second residence, can it be a US address?

Do you also have to show proof of the primary residence?

I'm pretty sure you can still get it. Last I heard it is $99 plus tax, but that includes the second dish you will need which is sent to your primary residence.

Yes, the second address can be from the US.

I did not need proof of the primary residence but they insisted on doing the install. Some people are able to get around this but I was not.

Here's an interesting twist regaring Home Away From Home (HAH):

I once e-mailed "Ask Jim" and said the following:

Suppose I have a rental unit in Canada and my primary residence is in the US (which is true). Furthermore, the rental unit does not allow a Shaw installation (already has Cogeco). Suppose I purchase a Shaw receiver while in Canada, open an account, have the installer deliver a dish to me while in Canada but not install it. Then I'll pay the extra $99 for the HAH, forget the second dish, and bring the first dish & the receiver to the US. Will you allow it?

The answer was "as long as you can furnish us with a Canadian service address and proof of your ownership in the US, it'll be ok Delieveries of equipment, if any, will be to your Canadian address only".

I never put it to the test, and this was before all the hooplah about discontinuing the HAH. But it's a back-up plan just in case my broker arrangement "goes south", as certain brokers have done.

To get back on topic, though, I think I remember something about HAH being subject to "grandfather rights". It was never clear to me, though, whether the grandfather rights meant you just had to have an existing Shaw account, or whether it meant you had to have already been signed up for HAH, in which case Shaw would allow you to continue to have HAH.

I tried finding a link to HAH on the self-serve page of the Website, but couldn't find it.

There must be some threads on this subject somewhere in this forum, but I don't recall any recent discussion.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)