Shaw Satellite Finder

Hey everyone. I'm looking to find a sat finder for Shaw. Sat is in Caribbean area. And any direction is helpful too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'm new here, can't figure out how to post a message, so, I'm replying to you. I need to know if there is anyone in wmass/ct that can rx F1 ? on a 75cm dish? I had no problems with the old 1.9m prime focus, wa1mtz

Anik F1R will not be replaced, and is going to be out of service sometime no later than 2021. Shaw saw little reason to spend money on a new satellite. Most traffic has already been moved to Anik F2 or Anik G1. F2 has an end of life sometime in the 2027 or 2028 area. G1 was launched in 2013, so should be around longer than that. Shaw Direct made a conscious decision several years ago to switch to MPEG-4 to effectively double their channel capacity. Getting rid of standard definition signals helped create more space, as almost all Canadian locals were converted to HD. Shaw split their local signals between G1, with limited coverage, and F2, which covers well into northern Central America. If you check which local signals are on F2, one should find Toronto and Vancouver markets well represented, so there is an East Coast as well as a West Coast presence for snowbirds. A few selected other CDN locals can also be found on F2, but the majority of stations are on limited coverage Anik G1. US HD networks are now limited to Seattle and Detroit, with PBS Spokane and Buffalo also being available. What has resulted is a mix where most popular channels are available on at least one channel for Snowbirds, on Anik F2. It was a complicated balancing act, but it means that two satellites will be used for the foreseeable future.

An XKu LNBF only changes the frequency configuration on the 107 satellite (Anik F1R/G1), but leaves the 111 satellite (Anik F2) in the same frequency setup as a regular Ku-band LNBF. Once traffic is completely removed from Anik F1R, those folks in Phoenix and elsewhere in the southern provinces will be limited to Anik F2. With the exception of some minor future channel shuffling, that is already in place. Existing installations with 60E or 75E antennas that are now working will continue to work. If you took ANY equal or larger sized offset Ku-band antenna, equipped with a regular Ku LNB F w/10750 local oscillator, and pointed it at Anik F2 (111 West), it would pick up everything that is transmitting on F2. As long as the receiver is setup with an authorized subscription and mapped for F2, there should be nothing else to worry about.

Added info....I agree with you on the answer to the poster from FLA. Existing satellites will not be redirected while everything is in normal operation. What may have happened is that there may have been a recent channel shuffle affecting just a few signals, and in the remapping...there could have been a hiccup getting to the final satellite and channel configuration. As more traffic is offloaded from F1R as it ends its operational lifetime, there will be transitions to F2 and G1. If you cannot receive G1, any channel that transitions to that satellite will be lost to "southern" viewers.
This is in jan 2020, I can rx where the old stuff went away, I assume it was A2, at least thats what it was on the old 921 rcvr. hooking up the new rx, I get signal, but it isn't authorised as I don't have a newer type lnb on the old 1.9m dish. I got the new 75cm dish with the new lnb, I can't seem to get a signal, I do pickup other satts either side of 107 or 111. I don't care or want hd! or any of the premium stuff. Q: is there any signal in wmass/ct with a 75cm dish? if not, can I use my old dish with a new lnb? knowing it only gets one satt? wa1mtz

not sure how to post a new message on this site. Q: can shaw be rcvd in wmass/ct. with a stock 75cm dish with the stock quad lnb? wa1mtz

not sure how to post a new message on this site.
There's a gold "Post Thread" button on the right side of the window. Just make sure you're in the appropriate forum.
Q: can shaw be rcvd in wmass/ct. with a stock 75cm dish with the stock quad lnb? wa1mtz
The stock HD dish should work just fine as the Anik satellites have good coverage north of the 40th parallel.

Hmm, well when I checked lyngsat, it shows me to be on the edge of the spot beam, and it also shows that a 90cm or larger dish is needed. Is there anyone in mass or ct/or south that is still getting a signal as of this past December?? thank you

This is in jan 2020, I can rx where the old stuff went away, I assume it was A2, at least thats what it was on the old 921 rcvr. hooking up the new rx, I get signal, but it isn't authorised as I don't have a newer type lnb on the old 1.9m dish. I got the new 75cm dish with the new lnb, I can't seem to get a signal, I do pickup other satts either side of 107 or 111. I don't care or want hd! or any of the premium stuff. Q: is there any signal in wmass/ct with a 75cm dish? if not, can I use my old dish with a new lnb? knowing it only gets one satt? wa1mtz

Standard definition was more or less eliminated, and HD channels put into place, using MPEG-4 format. You will need to use a DSR-600 or 800 series Shaw Direct receiver in order to have compatibility with such signals. A Shaw Direct 75E antenna with XKu LNBF and one of these receivers should receive signals from Anik F2 and G1 in your location. Please note that little traffic is found on F1R anymore, and that previous standard definition local signals are no longer available.

I have the 800 pvr and the new 75 dish, can't get a signal from the shaw satt. but get strong signals from other satts (there was a small crack in the plastic on the right showing what appears to be aluminum foil on the surface but not all the way thru, it is about 3 " long, I put cement over it to protect from water. But since I can pick up other satts I don't think it is a problem. I do get a signal from my old 1.9 m dish with the corotor/lnb. On the lygsat map it looks like I'm on the edge and it indicates a 90cm or larger dish needed. I would like to find someone in mass/ct that has a 75 cm system working.

If you had water in your feed horn, you should probably replace the LNB. If you didn't get all the moisture out before you repaired it, you may have fogging problems.

Both satbeams and lyngsat-maps show that you're area is getting coverage as good as most of Canada so you would be better served to investigate your LNB situation rather than worrying about your location or stepping up your dish size.

Chances are that most reception problems have to do with equipment that isn't functioning correctly or has lost its direction.

If you had water in your feed horn, you should probably replace the LNB. If you didn't get all the moisture out before you repaired it, you may have fogging problems.

Both satbeams and lyngsat-maps show that you're area is getting coverage as good as most of Canada so you would be better served to investigate your LNB situation rather than worrying about your location or stepping up your dish size.

Chances are that most reception problems have to do with equipment that isn't functioning correctly or has lost its direction.
That's not always the case.

That's not always the case.
Not always, but the probability of something else being the issue is low enough that one should start diagnostics at home and expand out.

It is possible that the maps aren't up-to-date but if that were the case, it seems like many more would be howling about having lost signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts