Shaw set-up South of the border

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vixens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Belize, Central America
equipment: 1.8m off-set dish
PVR 630 Dual receiver
2 Avenger Twin LNBs KSC322
switch: Ecoda EC-2111 0/22KHz 2x1

I have found Anik F2 111W with the LNB in the center of the dish and I can view e.g. TSN HD with a very strong signal 95+.
So far I have not found Anik F1.
I had several bites on the small signal meter but nothing visible on the receiver.

Q: on a regular standard Shaw dish which is what LNB ? is the higher LNB --the left seen from behind-- for F2 ?

My logic tells me:
when viewing from behind the dish: sat Anik F1 107W is to the left (of Anik F2 111W) in the sky and so the LNB are reversed. Right ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
equipment: 1.8m off-set dish
PVR 630 Dual receiver
2 Avenger Twin LNBs KSC322
switch: Ecoda EC-2111 0/22KHz 2x1

I have found Anik F2 111W with the LNB in the center of the dish and I can view e.g. TSN HD with a very strong signal 95+.
So far I have not found Anik F1.
I had several bites on the small signal meter but nothing visible on the receiver.

Q: on a regular standard Shaw dish which is what LNB ? is the higher LNB --the left seen from behind-- for F2 ?

My logic tells me:
when viewing from behind the dish: sat Anik F1 107W is to the left (of Anik F2 111W) in the sky and so the LNB are reversed. Right ?

Thanks.

I´d agree with you it´s reversed,
I remember when I used my 1.8 meter for both sats, I first pointed the dish to 111W A F2, then if standing behind the dish, the sat 107W A F1 would be to my left, so the LNB was to the right of the centered LNB, and higher, (i.e. mirrored or reversed),

In the following thread you´ll find formulas for setting up a second lnb on the same dish

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/89049-Offset-LNBs-Theory-amp-Practice

Djdish,
I followed the link you provided and read all the posts. Now I am totally confused. These guys must be engineers. This is not rocket science. I have managed to track 5 circular sats on a 24" elipticale dish (5 LNBFs) with a lot of patience. It worked quite well. The bracket's 10[SUP]O[/SUP] spacing for the LNBFs was bang on.
FTA sats are 2[SUP]O[/SUP] apart and I would assume not that difficult to track a number of them on 1 dish.

Just my thoughts, I could be way of the mark!

Djdish,
I followed the link you provided and read all the posts. Now I am totally confused. These guys must be engineers. This is not rocket science. I have managed to track 5 circular sats on a 24" elipticale dish (5 LNBFs) with a lot of patience. It worked quite well. The bracket's 10[SUP]O[/SUP] spacing for the LNBFs was bang on.
FTA sats are 2[SUP]O[/SUP] apart and I would assume not that difficult to track a number of them on 1 dish.

Just my thoughts, I could be way of the mark!

I wanted to share those formulas, then vixens may decide to use them or not,
I myself after reading such formulas, :confused: just kept in mind the concept of the reversed approach, decided to play it by ear and it didn´t take me more than 5 minutes to set up both lnbs on the dish. :D

However I know some folks would rather use the formulas, or some software to run their calculations. ;)

A manual set-up is very easy inside the US . . . I have done it many times for Dish, Dtv and C-band. You have such a strong signal, the dishes is light and easy to move.
I am working here with a 8 foot dish which has to be moved millimeter by millimeter. Sometimes you get a good signal and loose it while fine tuning within a second by just a too quick movement. Then it will take you 10 min. just to find the signal again. The same applies thereafter to bring the LNB into a perfect position. . . . point it a little higher up or down, move it slightly forward and backwards, very little to the left and very little to the right. Then you need to tie the LNB up strong and while doing that you might loose several dbs in reception again. I am in the fringe of the satellite signals.

I will study the formula and see if it is helpful. Every tip, little idea and input does help. Thank you all guys.

p.s. a spectrum meter would help enormously but they are expensive and I would not know which brand would be good in quality.

Vixens,

In the self install guide SD call 107.3 Sat A, and 111.1 Sat B. Sat A is used for aiming with the elliptical dishes. There is typically only a few degrees difference in skew between the two sats for any location.

Assuming 111 is the bore sight for your dish, and assuming you are using an adjustable multi LNB bracket, I would think your LNB for 107.3 should be slightly higher on your bracket when viewed from behind the dish.

Also, Dishpointer says 5 degrees difference in skew between the 2 LNBs from Belize when aiming for the two sats independently.

Last edited:
One LNB is mounted fixed in the center and focal point of the 2.4 meter dish. I do get good reception with it and I believe it is from the 111w as there is TSN HD in the line up.
The other LNB is on a movable bracket. It can be moved freely up and down, left or right.

If somebody has a standard Shaw dish I need a favor:
please block one Lnb and tell me if the 111 lnb is to the left and the 107Lnb is to the right . . . viewed from behind the sat dish.

Tomorrow I will have time to study the formulas.
thanks.
wolfgang

107Lnb . viewed from behind the sat dish.

wolfgang
107 lnb should be on your right if you are behind it.

think like this from behind the dish...you are centered on 111 ... 107 in the sky wil be on your left...it hits the dish off centered and bounces over to the lnb on the right side..
good luck

With the latest footprints, it almost be easier to stream BXV/SHAW via Roku then try to get it via SAT.
There's a dude in Montreal that created a private Roku channel w/ 20 or so streaming dish channels (AE, Starz, ESPN etc) so its not impossible.
At first I called BS, but my colleague brought in his Roku to the office and saw it for myself.

Cheers, K

I will put it another way, again my setup was with 1.8 meter dish to 111w, then behind the dish and looking at the south, 107w would be to the east and slightly lower (my left behind the dish), so I placed the lnb for 107w, to the west and higher of the already mounted lnb pointed at 111w (that would be then to my right when I was standing behind the dish.

The neighbor was planning on switching to shaw for his Florida home but he said his friend down there said it no longer works in Florida.Yesterday I was in a Bell store getting a new sim card and asked the guy about it and he said his Dad who has Shaw also told him the same thing.

The 2 main satellites for Shaw (Anik F1R and Anik F2) work as far south as Central America.

The new satellite (Anik G1) will not work in Florida. However, this satellite only has the HD local channels for the Canadian cities (except Toronto).

Unlike Bell, Shaw Direct will work fine in Florida.

That changed May 31. Shaw customers can no longer call from outside Canada for any help from Shaw and will probably have there system shut off as Bell used to. Seems they bent to pressure from the south.

I alway's thought Shaw didn't care were you are Bell was the problem.

Yes, I was prepared for that. I bought a MagicJack with a Canadian phone number, and setup my Shaw account to use that #. I always use it to call them, and/or use it to plug into the receiver for PPV.

It costs about $40 per year, and works well.

Yes, I was prepared for that. I bought a MagicJack with a Canadian phone number, and setup my Shaw account to use that #. I always use it to call them, and/or use it to plug into the receiver for PPV.

It costs about $40 per year, and works well.

Update to this about the MagicJack Plus. The price has gone up a little.

Price is $49.95 for equipment and first year of service (Additional years are listed as $29.95 for 1 year or $99.95 for 5 years)
Canadian phone # is $20.00 ($10.00 for setup and $10.00 for first year of service). (Additional years at $10 per year).

So it would be $69.95 for first year + $39.95 for each additional year.

Another advantage to using a MagicJack Plus, is that it allows unlimited calls to US or Canadian numbers, as long as you have internet where you are. Also, if you are a snowbird, you can take it home to Canada with you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)