Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Shields up!

Well folks it appears as though someone is jealous of SatelliteGuys.US and has started a serious DOS attack on our servers. (including the SatelliteGuysStore.COM server.

I am working with our ISP who has already determined where the DOS attack is coming from. Our ISP has already contacted the authorities in regards to this matter.

The question I must ask is why is someone so jealous of this site to want to take it down? Do they not believe in sharing of information?

I am trying to get the ISP to tell me who it was. He said it was from multiple IP addresses.

The problem started at about 9am and caused the board to be slow, at around 12:15 or so it was almost impossible to get online by about 1:15 the ISP did some configuration of a router to fix the problem.

It was REALLY annoying.

I was wondering why I could not hardly get on. It must just be some internet hackers out and about trying to attack the most vulnerable sites that dont care what content is here but wants to attack anything that can be attacked (either that or its someone that is mad that the board is up and wants to take it down).

Scott, we got hit with the same kind of thing this morning as well. Very, very slow at times...seems to be better now as the afternoon progresses, though.

Mark I don't think it was anyone from DBSTalk, so don't worry about that at all. I know you guys would not do anything like that. ;)

If I can ever help (I do security for the ISP I work for, and am on some security lists), please feel free to contact me.
LER

There seems to be problems with other sites as well. Nyst be some kink of cyber attack going on.

Thanks Ler, I am happy our ISP was quickly able to defuse the problem. Of course it could have happened at a better time, I just announced the opening of the store when both sites went down. :)

These sort of things roll around the Internet all the time... I've been tracking a few that hit some of my call centers last week. The sources were never able to muster enough bandwidth to bring us down, so we filter their IPs and move on. More often than not the guilty party is some teenager...

Teenagers with nothing better to do. Do you suppose this is better than going outside out and about to cause even more trouble?

I guess my ISP is being kind of serious with this guys, he called the FBI cyberterrorism people (or something like that) and reported the IP addresses (which were all from the same place)

I just wish he would tell me the IP info. :)

You must have a good ISP if they are going that far in trying to prevent such things from happening.

Do you mean Cyber Terrorism? I am part of the Neighborhood and Terrorist Watch Program, although terrorist acts on the internet differ.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I guess my ISP is being kind of serious with this guys, he called the FBI cyberterrorism people (or something like that) and reported the IP addresses (which were all from the same place)

I just wish he would tell me the IP info. :)
They generally CAN'T release that information to anyone but Law Enforcement.

(We (the ISP I work for) have the same policy).

Reporting it to the FBI is the RIGHT answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts