Short range DTV UHF/VHF combi antenna?

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
I have/had two local channels: FOX and ABC both on UHF with the transmitters on two different towers around 38 to 40 miles away.

I have a mast, around 20 ft high that used to have an old radio shack UHF only antenna that I got both analog stations on.

We got a new TV with a digital tuner recently, and purchased an Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF UHF antenna which was mounted on the pole with RG6 cable.

We get the ABC digital channel just fine, but not the FOX digital channel. The FOX station is still transmitting in analog, which I get.

Well.... after talking to the station engineer, it turns out the local FOX digital is now VHF...... :confused:

So what kind of simple small combi antenna can we get that will receive both?

The engineer also says that at my location we should get the FOX VHF digital easily with a VHF outdoor antenna at 20 ft.

I have that Aspen Eagle antenna and on 2/17/09 a local broadcaster switched from UHF 20 back to VHF 12 antenna web shows that broadcaster at 40.4 miles away and I am getting them off that little UHF antenna at about 70%. Maybe adding a VHF/UHF amplifier to yours might make the difference.

I just "altered" ;) my antenna and am now getting the VHF digital FOX feed.

After looking at pictures of VHF antennas on the web:

I removed the antenna part from the reflector on the Eagle Aspen and tie wrapped it to the flat part of the old larger Radio Shack UHF directional antenna I had taken down.

I put the "altered" antenna back up and pointed it and we now get both the UHF ABC and VHF FOX feeds I wanted. I know this is rigged up, but it works for now. :D

boba,
I never could get the Eagle Aspen to pick up the VHF channel despite everything I tried.

Best choices in compact combo antennas at that range (in case your "rigged" setup stops working well :D ):

* Winegard HD-7694
* Channel Master 2018

I have/had two local channels: FOX and ABC both on UHF with the transmitters on two different towers around 38 to 40 miles away.

Aim a new Y5-7-13 at FOX, your existing UHF at ABC. Use a UVSJ to add them together.

UHF or VHF after switch overs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)