Should I be able to get a signal here? (photos included)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coolbreeze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Easton, PA
I have posted my issues in this thread:

Here

But decided to start a new thread specific to my install situation. See the attached link for photos of my yard. Quick summary: I have DirecTV, gets 90-95% signal at all times.. Dish came out yesterday, said he couldn't get a single drop of singal anywhere in my yard. This deduction was reached in ~ 10 minutes. I have requested another installer come out today and double-check, since I get such a strong DirecTV signal. Yes, I realize Dish/DTV's sats are in different places, but the tree coverage is about equal across my entire yard.

So, what does this look like to you all? Will I be forced to forget about Dish and get DirecTV HD? (this is NOT what I want to do...DTV's HD is lousy).

Thanks.

I have attached photos showing my yard. It is pretty rough in the Summer, but I just don't get how DirecTV can get such a strong signal here, and Dish supposedly cannot get a signal at all. :what

Click here for pictures

EDIT: I realize some of the satellite numbers are inaccurate, but I don't know that much about them...you should get the idea, though.

Well if you are getting DirecTV you should have no issue with a Dish500 at 110/119 but 61.5 might be another matter. Its elevation would be higher so you might get it with a dish at the other end of the house.

129 should be obtainable but you might need another dish a bit further to the east to get through whatever hole the other dish is seeing through.

Thanks for the responses. See, this is exactly why I want a second opinion. Two different views. Heres to hoping the installer finds a signal today. Even if it's weak, I'll take it.

129 signal is weak anyhow and adding trees to it will make it even worst. Where are your HD Locals? 129 or 61.5? Like Pepper said, 61.5's elevation will be low and those trees might be in the way.

Only way to know for sure is for an installer to spend sometime looking for a good spot in the property. Good luck.

Edit: The signal comes at approx. 22 degrees higher than where the dish is actually aimed. One more thing, can you take another picture (picture 4) to the area where 129 would be but take it so we can see above the trees. Just want to see how high those trees really are.

Last edited:
coolbreeze said:
I put a quick video up on Youtube showing the yard.

Here

Scan to the left. I bet you can get 61.5. Remember the dish if offset. So it actually looks like it is looking lower into the trees when actually isn't. Look at the dish from the side and imagine a laser shooting from the LNB and hitting the dish, which way would the laser go. See the offset now?

Get a protractor so you can actually see the elevation angles. Do a google search for "satellite calculator", pull up your area and find the satellite you want to find the elevation angle.

Just becuase you can get DTV does not mean you can get Dish. DTV orbital slot at 101 is a 30 degree more to the southeast than 129 and the elevation would be about 12 degrees lower in the sky that is a huge difference. From 119 to 129 is 10 degrees different and about 4 degrees lower. Trust me when trees are involed that is huge sometimes I can even get a Dish 500 in someone house due to the 10 degree difference.

I looked at your pictures and I would have to say no but its hard to say from your pictures there not wide enough to see what we really need to see plus it would help to know where you are.

Last edited:
Alright, well if the installer shows today we will give it our best shot. If it doesn't work, I'll just go with DirecTV. This sucks.

Your Phase 3 dish is looking at 101/110 &119 the DISH Network uses 110 & 119 so if you are getting good signal off the Phase 3 110 & 119 you can get the majority of DISH's programming. HDTV is broadcast off 129 & 61.5 in GA your look angle is quite high for 61.5 so you should have no trouble aiming at it.

boba said:
Your Phase 3 dish is looking at 101/110 &119 the DISH Network uses 110 & 119 so if you are getting good signal off the Phase 3 110 & 119 you can get the majority of DISH's programming. HDTV is broadcast off 129 & 61.5 in GA your look angle is quite high for 61.5 so you should have no trouble aiming at it.
So do the installers know this information? The guy yesterday basically told me I would not receive a single channel. Unreal.

I'm on the phone with Dish now. They said they would come out today and re-try to find a LOS, but *somehow* they thought the issue was resolved yesterday, when they said no LOS. I'm having to explain to the lady that I called yesterday and they said they rescheduled me. She just told me they have no record of it, and nobody was scheduled to come out today. Awesome, glad I called.

I'm kinda glad I had my tonsils removed on Tuesday...otherwise, there is no way I would have the free time to deal with this.

Just got off the phone with Dish. The installer had cancelled the order and backed everything out...I had to start from scratch. We got an appt setup for tomorrow 8-12 (groundhog day).

I'm curious...if the installer comes out and is able to get some signal (maybe from one sat or so) but not 100% of the signal (all 3 sats) is he able to finalize the install and let me deal with it? Or are they bound to only sign off on an install if it is 100% working? The reason I ask is I may get those trees removed in a week or two, and would prefer to keep what I have b/c I prefer not to go through this mess again.

Forgine me if I'm hard to follow...the oxycodone has me floating.

I would say you do need Two Dish 500s

Put one where the Direct TV dish is for 110 and 119

The other on the other side of the house at an angle to shoot through that hole where there are no trees. Try 129 or 61.5

Best to have a Installer Supervisor come out with the right meter to test this before drilling an holes in the roof.

As others have stated the angle is a lot higher than it looks. Check out my 61.5 setup, looks like it was going straight into the tree. You just gotta give it a shot. I would at least have them attempt it instead of looking and throwing in the towel. Second, i wouldnt even worry with 129 and go for 61.5... you'd have higher sig, less issues and pick up a sweet high def aquarium on the demo channel

Attachments

• 615view.jpg
    615view.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 200
If the installer has a birddog or other satellite meter that has a satellite identifier then he would be able to locate the satellite easier and detect a weak signal even if the satellite receiver is not picking it up. This would allow the installer to figure out where exactly what is blocking the signal and you would then be able to figure out if you can move the dish to acquire that signal for the receiver to pick it up or if you could cut down particular branches / trees to receive that signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)