Should I buy a used receiver with or without access card? Plus other questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr.bud

Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I'm adding televisions to my existing Directv account. Does it matter, if I buy a receiver on Ebay, whether or not it comes with an access card? I've noticed that some do, and some don't.

As well, I am, as they say, on their "A list". I suspect this is because I have just about every channel they offer, plus HD, etc. Now, they tell me that if I add 5 televisions that I have to lease 5 new boxes at $49 each. I've told them that I already have 3 old boxes (from my pre-Tivo days), but they said if I use these they will charge me something like $99 each to "install" them. Does this make sense? Or should I call retention and start bitching at them about this?

What about buying something used? Does anybody think this is a good idea?

Thanks.

mr.bud said:
I'm adding televisions to my existing Directv account. Does it matter, if I buy a receiver on Ebay, whether or not it comes with an access card? I've noticed that some do, and some don't.

As well, I am, as they say, on their "A list". I suspect this is because I have just about every channel they offer, plus HD, etc. Now, they tell me that if I add 5 televisions that I have to lease 5 new boxes at $49 each. I've told them that I already have 3 old boxes (from my pre-Tivo days), but they said if I use these they will charge me something like $99 each to "install" them. Does this make sense? Or should I call retention and start bitching at them about this?

What about buying something used? Does anybody think this is a good idea?

Thanks.
If you buy off Ebay who is going to install them? $99 for installation and switches for your old equipment dosen't sound too out of line. I would call retention to see what they can offer. If you buy used receivers it dosen't matter with or without cards, you will have to buy cards at $20 each. If buying used equipment be sure there are no outstanding balances owed.
Leasing 5 receivers at $49 each if that includes installation is a good deal. Leasing won't cost you anymore per month than owning and you will have new technology rather than old.:)

It should be noted, that if you have to buy the $20 access cards, as long as you activate it within (I think) 2 weeks, they will credit your account the cost of the bought cards, make sure you bring it up with retention.

boba said:
If you buy off Ebay who is going to install them? $99 for installation and switches for your old equipment dosen't sound too out of line. I would call retention to see what they can offer. If you buy used receivers it dosen't matter with or without cards, you will have to buy cards at $20 each. If buying used equipment be sure there are no outstanding balances owed.
Leasing 5 receivers at $49 each if that includes installation is a good deal. Leasing won't cost you anymore per month than owning and you will have new technology rather than old.:)

I guess my point of view is that I already own 3 boxes. The cables are already in. I know how to plug the box in and go thru the various steps for the set up. For them to charge me $99 for that per box seems steep to me. Plus, with the new 5lnb dish I need a new HD box, which I am getting from them. They've told me that they WILL let me have that old box "installed" on another tv for no charge, so it seems like a double standard.

I guess I will chat with the retention people and see what they say.

Everything is correct. When you buy a HD receiver you get free installation which includes dish swap, receiver swap meaning we put HD receiver in place of your old receiver. At the same time Directv gives you free "relocate" which means we install that old box of yours in another room.

But if you get some old boxes somewhere then you will pay full price for their installation and its only fare. Lets say you bought old 1972 Nissan car. Now you bring it to Nissan dealership and demand them fix that old car and please free of charge. Sounds stupid?

As to access cards as far as I know you pay 20 bucks and they do not refund it.

I have activated numerous used receivers for myself and others and not one time did I have to purchase a new card and be charged to install . If you can run the cable and add the correct multi switch (if needed) You will not be charged. Good luck and don't take no for any answer they give you. And if all else fails call retention.

The 2 used HD receivers I added to my account (14 months apart) both required me to "front" $20 to have the new access card sent FedEx overnight. If the card is activated within the alloted 14 day window; then money is credited to the account.

tech007 said:
As to access cards as far as I know you pay 20 bucks and they do not refund it.

Yes, they do, they credit your account, and you are supposed to be a tech for D*?

Last edited:
As recently as a month ago I bought a used Rca dtc 200 Hd receiver with an old card and I was not required to purchase a new card. Either way no big deal if they credit you anyhow. I've also bought some from craigslist and been given some from former subs. Been lucky , I guess

And what is the whole purpose of charging you 20 dollars and then refunding it back???

From my experience they send a customer new access card and you have 7 or 9 days to activate it. If you dont that card dies and you need another one. But my info might be outdated.

As to used receivers if that receiver belongs to another account you cannot activate it on your own account without a new access card.

I think there are some old receivers that didnt have access cards. At least I couldnt open them from any side to find that card. But we talking 15 year old boxes.

They do that CC "credit hold" to have legal verified info about you, in case you turn out to be a thief. The CC's registered info is supposed to match to service address as well, for even more security.

Correct, they will not re-authorize a previously subbed card to another person's account. This stopped LONG AGO!

DirecTV is about 12 yo (1994 to retail) and have always had an access card; I have 3 of the very first generation models. Two are still in use today.

tech007 said:
I swear those boxes were 15-20 years old. Maybe from Primestar age.
Nope, Primestar started right about the same time as D* did.
Wasn't that how you got the movies originally or was that USS_ , da*n I can't remember at the moment, it must be late !!!

Jimbo
Go Tigers !!!
Go Bucks !!!

USSB - United States Satellite Broadcasting

When the service launched in 1994, Hubbard offered programming under the moniker of USSB (mostly premium channels, plus MTV and others) and Hughes offered programming under the banner of DirecTV (mostly basic services). DirecTV later bought USSB .

I however wasn't brining up any Dish, PrimeStar or anything else because I thought we were talking about DirecTV in the DirecTV thread; sorry.

PrimeStar was the first DBS system in the United States (1991) but slowly declined in popularity with the arrival of DirecTV in 1994 and DISH Network in 1996. PrimeStar, unlike modern high-powered DBS systems, was a medium-powered DBS-style system utilizing FSS technology that used a larger 3-foot (91 cm) satellite dish to receive signals. PrimeStar used the older DigiCipher 1 system for digital compression of analog satellite signals. PrimeStar Partners sold its assets to Hughes (former parent company of DirecTV) in 1999 and the service was shut off.

AlphaStar was another direct-to-home satellite broadcasting service for the United States market. It was the first direct-to-home satellite broadcasting service in the United States to use the internationally-accepted DVB-S broadcasting standard and used 39" satellite dish receivers. AlphaStar service launched in July of 1996 but was discontinued completely by September 1997 with 40,000 subscribers as the company went through bankruptcy proceedings.

Last edited:
Since noone is going to say it outright, I will, this tech007 guy is full of it. I don't think he is, or ever was a tech, for D* or any other satellite company. I call shenanigans.

If he is, god help D*.

Last edited:
tech007 said:
And what is the whole purpose of charging you 20 dollars and then refunding it back???

Uhh, gee, I don't know, maybe to GET new customers, and KEEP a new and existing customer, maybe because it is worth the 20 bucks for them to insure there are no older cards in use?

D* does not make its money by selling access cards, it makes its money by selling programming.

Your info is not just outdated, it is wrong. Period.

Last edited:
I know someone that had Directv and was wanting to get an additional receiver on their account activated but it had an older card and they were requiring $20 to get a new card sent out and get the receiver reactivated. They UTTERLY REFUSED to not charge them that amount. Directv lost a customer to Dish Network.

Stargazer said:
I know someone that had Directv and was wanting to get an additional receiver on their account activated but it had an older card and they were requiring $20 to get a new card sent out and get the receiver reactivated. They UTTERLY REFUSED to not charge them that amount. Directv lost a customer to Dish Network.

They WILL charge the 20 dollars, they will NOT waive it initially, BUT, if activated within 14 days, they WILL credit your account.

See, until the card is activated, it is not trackable, and therefore, they want the $20 dollars for it in case you never do activate it, however, once it is activated (within 14 days), it becomes trackable, then they know who has the card, where the card is (well, they hope), and know they are getting fees for subscription, and whom the subscription is for, they will happily credit your account, I would imagine that your friend couldn't get the access card fee waived because they don't want a bunch of untracked access cards (which they never got paid for) floating around, ALSO, if his card was of the older HU/P3 type, those are known hackable cards, which they want out of circulation. If he had paid the fee, and activated it within 14 days, he would have gotten a credit for it.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

D* Retention - valid phone number?!?

NBC HD is sooooo bad that.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)