Should I change my HD receiver?

Asdad3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I currently have two HD 811 receivers that I own. Should I go with the new HD receivers that Dish offers? I do subscribe to the HD package that was offered a year or two ago. Am I missing any HD channels because I own the 811?? Just wanted to get some advice first before I call Dish or look elsewhere to buy the new receiver......

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't.

Do you subscribe to the Voom Pack? There are 5 additional Voom channels now for a total of 15. There is also ESPN2 and Universal HD. Starz and HGTV are rumored. New LIL markets in HD are coming up pretty quick. All of these require an MPEG4 receiver like the 211 or 622. You would also need to have a dish pointed at 61.5 or 129 to receive these channels.

Scott

I'm in the same boat as you. I own a 811 and I lease one. But I'm not switching to the new HD receiver because then you have to subscribe to one of the new MUCH MORE expensive HD packages.

I believe that if you purchase one of the new MPEG-4 receivers you have the option to retain the old HD programming pack. I'm not sure if that would then allow you to receive the 7 new "MPEG-4" channels. You would then incur the monthly access fees and the DVR fee for the 622. It is widely reported in these forums that the 622's OTA receiver is superior to the 811's as well, if that makes any difference for you as it might for me in my marginal OTA area.

I haven't made my decision yet, other than to wait until after 4-1 to see what new offers emerge. My guess is that E* wants to migrate all HD subs to the M-4 equipment so in time they will provide additional incentives...

Interesting, my old man upgraded from the 811 to the 622 and he was allowed to keep the old 120 + HD package. $10 + $5 for Voom channels. He dosen't get the xtra 5 voom channels, Univ HD or ESPN 2HD. But he does get the HD LIL's.
So you may be able to get the new reciever without upgrading to the metalic packages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)