Should I go with 129 or 61.5

Zaxcom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I have the ability and the dishes to see 129 and 61.5. I have a 1000+ and a 500. My locals are on both birds. If I go with 129 I can take down the extra dish I have for 61.5, but clutter is not a real concern. My main concern is best signal overall in various weather conditions for my location.

I was put on 61.5 two years ago because my locals were not on 129 at that time and my installer thought it dumb to use 118 just to get 4 stations, and it meant one less wire he had to fish from my attic. So he set me up with 61.5,110,119.

I am in North Carolina and I always considered 129 a west coast bird, but with C2 now up in that slot is it a better choice for me than when Echostar 5 was there? Does C2 at a lower angle of elevation trump 61.5 even though its higher up in the sky to me.

I have no tree/obstacle issues. Clear line to any bird in the sky.

Thanks

Technical stuff for my location.

Angles to 129

Elevation: 25.1°
Azimuth (true): 242.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 250.2°
--------------------------------

Angles to 61.5

Elevation: 44.4°
Azimuth (true): 148.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 156.1°

Last edited:
Right now 129 is trumping 61.5 in the HD department. The newest HD channels added last Wed were not put on 61.5 due to satellite issues, instead they were put on 72.7.

If you are concerned about getting all of the National HD, go with 129.

Go for an eastern arc dish install and you shouldn't have any more problems. No need to piece meal a sat matrix together that will most likely not be needed later. For those who need an upgrade to the 1000.4 install, DISH is offering to do it for only $15.00. Not bad since they wanted $99.99 before.

No, not all of the HD on 61.5 is mpeg 4 but all of the HD on 129 is.

ALL HD is in mpeg 4 period. Has been for a while now. Eastern arc( 77/72.7/61.5 ) is ALL mpeg 4 , thus the reason why you need all mpeg 4 receivers like the vip series, to go eastern arc. In fact even the sd is mpeg 4 on eastern arc.

Really? It looks better? Isnt the same signal at the same compression rate sent to both 61.5 and 129?

I don't know. Maybe they load some of the transponder differently. I have know way to verify bit rates. My wife made the comment first. Then i looked at it and agreed. But, i stll see that motion blur.:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts