Should I have 2 dishes on the roof?

my2k2zx2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I had Dish Network do an install back in 2002 and they put a dish on the roof (I think facing south.) Looks to have 2 LNBs.

Last week I did the Dish'n It Up (got a 722k with TurboHD Bronze) and the guy put another dish on the roof next to the old one facing east. Looks to have a Y adapter with 1 LNB.

Both dishes have "500" in the center. I thought HD needed a 1000 dish.

Is this normal or did something screwy go on during the install?

(Is it because we owned the dish that was up there and they installed a lease dish?)

Where do you live, some areas use 129 which the Dish 1000 would give you, others need 61.5 and either get a second dish or you get totally realigned with a Dish 1000.4 EA dish.

20 mins south of Grand Rapids, MI.

Is the new dish for 129 (do you have Grand Rapids HD locals)? If yes, then I would contact the installer as to why you have two dishes when replacing existing dish with a Dish 1000 would work. I would think there was either a line of sight problem or installer didn't have a Dish 1000 for your upgrade.

Is the new dish for 129 (do you have Grand Rapids HD locals)? If yes, then I would contact the installer as to why you have two dishes when replacing existing dish with a Dish 1000 would work. I would think there was either a line of sight problem or installer didn't have a Dish 1000 for your upgrade.

Yes, we have the Grand Rapids HD locals.

I dont think the line of sight is a problem, not many trees where the house is that are taller than 10'.

Everything works fine, just looks a little odd with 2 dishes right next to each other so there isnt really a problem with it, I guess.

I direct your attention to the OP's statement that the new dish faces East. That typically means 61.5W.

As Grand Rapids HD LIL are on 61.5, a wing dish is consistent with the needs of an existing customer.

If the OP was a new customer, there probably would have been a single 1000.4 installed for Eastern Arc service.

the guy should have talked to you first about the dish options...i find that a lot of customers wil sacrifice hi-def locals for the asthetics of keeping one dish.

the guy should have talked to you first about the dish options...i find that a lot of customers wil sacrifice hi-def locals for the asthetics of keeping one dish.
I find this statement interesting. I can see it being an aesthetic problem if the second dish is separate and some distance from the first, because of LOS issues for example. But I would think if the second one is adjacent to the first it's not a big deal because you've already got one up there anyway. Plus, from reading a lot of posts here, HD LiLs are important to a lot of subs and if the only way to get them is to put up a wing dish that doesn't seem to be much of an issue...