Should I or Should I Not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyrate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I'm confused and I'm not sure what the best answer is. I called directv yesterday to find out if I was under any of those one or two year contractual obligations to stay with them. I found out that I wasn't, so of course they asked me why I wanted to know and I told them that Cox was offering free HD-DVR/DVR with there subscriptions and my wife really likes the video recording features plus the On-demand services. Of course that comes with a rental box fee but so does D*, so the rep went on to explain the differences between there service and Cox, which to me are minor. He also went on to say its a $100 purchase for box but that he would give me a $100 rebate to compensate for the expense which makes it free. Well here my concern I have HD box that I spent a lot of money on and it seems every time something new comes out with D* there is an extra expense to the consumer if we want that service we have to buy a new box for it. In the 5 years I've been with D* I probably brought 4 different types STB for variety of reasons and I'm pretty tried of it. Even with the DVR I'm getting for free, I still find myself forking over $100 bones until I get my rebate check in the mail. I would prefer that my living room has the DVR service but unfortunately that's where my HD STB is and you know D* is not given HD-DVR away for free and I'm not given up my HD for the DVR. So the DVR will end up in my bedroom where it will probably get limited use. Now I’m reading about changes coming to the DVR and I don't know which STB I'm getting (new or old version) and to top it off there a 2year service obligation for the $100 rebate. What a joke! What would you do stay with D* go with Cox and hope for HD expansion or renegotiate? :mad:

IMHO why not give Cox a try just to see how the PQ is at your home (since cable PQ varies sooooo much) and how their DVR works. No need to go whole hog and wire the entire house up, just do the HD set and if your happy then cancel D*. Yep, you'll pay double for a month or two but better then cut the cord then find out you're not happy.

At this point, for $100, you're getting a Standard Definition TiVo, probably an R10, that can't record HD.

No one is getting the R15 yet. So, by your nomenclature, you're getting the "old version".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)