Should I purchase a HD FTA box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would suggest holding off on getting an FTA HD receiver yet. Once there are more FTA HDTV channels available (and most likely they will be in MPEG4 DVB-S2 format), then it is justified in my opinion. I don't see that happening for another year or so.

Also, buying a European version HDTV receiver may not work in the USA because of the different HD resolution standards.

pci / sd / hd

Ok so adding an FTA card to comp is an option...
I would like to suggest that an FTA PCI card or USB box NOT be your first receiver.
Going from nothing ... to getting one running, is a tall order.
Taking that path delayed my entry into FTA by a year or two.

If you get a receiver that is well thought of and well supported, you will get off to a much easier start.
The Pansat 3500sd and the two in my signature would be my suggestions.
All are Standard Definition, have blind scan, and the Visionsat will record to an external USB hard drive, if you want such a feature.

Hopefully, better HD receivers will come. (I'm with Sadoun on this point)
But the programming available through them right now is pretty much limited to PBS, and some sports feeds (which you'd have to blind-scan to find).

I have the pansat 9200 hd. It does pretty good except no 4.2.2 support.
It has bugs and is a little tempormental when you fill it up with channels and transponders.

it shows stunning picture quality. Sometimes an HD channel will be green and split on the screen but you just flip the channel to another one and back- it corrects it.

4.2.2?

Sorry for my ignorance - what is 4.2.2? I am technical (EE degree and in satellite hobby for 10 years) but have not heard of this one. :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)