Should I replace my VIP 622? And with What Model?

Mr Ranger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I have a 622 that I have leased for 7 years. I just got a new TV and am considering if it is time to "upgrade" my DVR. I only have one TV and have no plans to add another. I have two issues with the 622 that drives me nuts and wonder if a new model would rectify. First, the speed at which the unit changes channels is very slow. Used to be when I had Comcast cable, I could flip through channels with blazing speed and would often channel surf. With the 622, it is so slow, I never flip through the channels. Second, I can find no way to Delete Favorite Lists that are no longer being used. Would a newer model DVR solve those issues? Do any of the newer models have additional features that offer significant benefits? What is the likelihood that I can update at no charge? If there is a charge how much should I expect it to be? Thanks for the help.

You can upgrade to a 722k or the Hopper. Depending on how you qualify you may be able to get an upgrade for free as long as you renew a 24 month agreement. The Hopper is the best DVR right now but your DVR fee would go from $7 to $12. For the extra money you would be getting an extra tuner, larger hard drive, faster processor, Prime Time Anytime, better GUI and any other things I have missed along with new things coming in the future.

I have a 622 that I have leased for 7 years. I just got a new TV and am considering if it is time to "upgrade" my DVR. I only have one TV and have no plans to add another. I have two issues with the 622 that drives me nuts and wonder if a new model would rectify. First, the speed at which the unit changes channels is very slow. Used to be when I had Comcast cable, I could flip through channels with blazing speed and would often channel surf. With the 622, it is so slow, I never flip through the channels. Second, I can find no way to Delete Favorite Lists that are no longer being used. Would a newer model DVR solve those issues? Do any of the newer models have additional features that offer significant benefits? What is the likelihood that I can update at no charge? If there is a charge how much should I expect it to be? Thanks for the help.

If you would like for me look into your upgrade options for feel free to send me a PM.

I'm surprised the OP w/622 reported such slow channel-changing. Is it possible he's still using legacy LNBs?

The only real options are 722k or Hopper. 722k would net you a bigger internal HDD, Sling capability (with adapter,) and an extra OTA tuner (with module.) Hopper would net you a much larger internal HDD, an extra sat tuner, a newer interface, the potential for HD on TV2 (with Joey,) Sling capability (with adapter on Hopper 2000, built-in on Hopper w/Sling.) There is also PTAT and AutoHop.

Hopper with Sling has built-in WiFi as well. For $5 more a month the Hopper is well worth it even if you only use half of it's features.

Go with the Hopper/Sling. Besides what the folks list as advantages there is also Dish Anywhere. Its great! Allows you to watch your Hoppers DVR content or live TV anywhere. My grown children love it as they get to watch content from their homes.

Do you have an iPad or other tablet? Would you like to transfer a program to that iPad (Android tablets later) and watch it elsewhere, even if there's no Internet service there? If yes, then Hopper With Sling is for you.

If you don't record much, or have an interest in remotely viewing your programs over the Internet or with the Transfer feature above, and it's only one TV and no discussions over what to watch, and money is a concern, then the ViP722K may be the best for you. Note that you'll have to pay extra for a two OTA tuner module for the ViP722K if you want OTA, or pay extra for a single OTA tuner USB dongle for the Hopper- if you want OTA.

BTW, was your cable back then analog or digital. Makes a difference in channel changing speed.

Go with the Hopper/Sling. Besides what the folks list as advantages there is also Dish Anywhere. Its great! Allows you to watch your Hoppers DVR content or live TV anywhere. My grown children love it as they get to watch content from their homes.
How can my kids watch it from their homes?

Channel changing isn't going to be fast on any receiver. It's the nature of MPEG encoding. MPEG-4 seems to take longer to decode than MPEG-2 compression used on SD and previously used on some HD channels. The benefit of long encoding sequences is more efficient encoding: less bandwidth and higher picture quality.

As others have said, the size of the DVR hard drive may be a factor in your decision making. If you keep lots of programs on the receiver, then a larger drive is a plus. On the other hand if you delete programs as soon as you've watched them then the drive in a 722k is probably sufficient. The other option is to archive programs you wish to keep to an external drive, freeing up space on the internal. That's what I do and use a RAID for more security. RAID drives aren't officially supported but work fine.

Sling (either via an adapter) or built in to Hopper with Sling streams program content to the internet or your local network. PQ on the local network is fine. PQ on the internet depends on your internet upload bandwidth. Sling uses the second decoder in the receiver (TV 2 or PIP for the 722k or just PIP for Hopper). If you are watching live, then Sling also uses one of the 2-3 tuners. Hopper manages Sling much better than the VIP receivers do. Dish Anywhere is the app (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, ...) that accesses content on your Dish receiver. It's interface is clunky at best but has finally gotten reasonably good for streaming content.

Hopper with Sling also allows you to transfer programs to your iPad (but not back). This allows you to watch programs on the iPad without a network connection. Copy protected content is removed from the Dish receiver when it's transferred to the iPad.

Just noting as the resident Dish employee party-pooper that you cannot designate what receiver in a specific family you want when upgrading. The "Change Receiver" screen comes to a spot where the CSR chooses "Hopper solution" or "Non Hopper solution". For the non-hopper solution, the CSR is given a family to choose from. A 211 family could give a 211, 211K, 211Z, or 411. The 522 family could provide a 522 or 625. The 222 family...well, that is a 222 or 222K. The duo HD DVR, is the 622 family, and it could be a 622, 722, or 722K. And again, no way for the CSR to choose which one. One of my compadres with DIRT even confirmed this for everyone.

So, if someone has a 622 and is wanting to upgrade, I'd suggest the Hopper, as there's no guarantee you'd get a 722 or 722K if you upgraded with a new 24 month committment.

Just noting as the resident Dish employee party-pooper that you cannot designate what receiver in a specific family you want when upgrading. The "Change Receiver" screen comes to a spot where the CSR chooses "Hopper solution" or "Non Hopper solution". For the non-hopper solution, the CSR is given a family to choose from. A 211 family could give a 211, 211K, 211Z, or 411. The 522 family could provide a 522 or 625. The 222 family...well, that is a 222 or 222K. The duo HD DVR, is the 622 family, and it could be a 622, 722, or 722K. And again, no way for the CSR to choose which one. One of my compadres with DIRT even confirmed this for everyone.

So, if someone has a 622 and is wanting to upgrade, I'd suggest the Hopper, as there's no guarantee you'd get a 722 or 722K if you upgraded with a new 24 month committment.

I dealt with this years ago, the CSR can make a note (or so I was told) that a customer prefers the 722k. Then when the installer called to come out I asked him if he had 722ks on his truck. Luckily he did. If he didn't, I would've canceled the install. I did this twice for two accounts. Also, again so I've heard, if you order a Sling Adapter, you won't receive a 622, and if you want the MT2 module, you won't receive a 722.

Last edited:
I dealt with this years ago, the CSR can make a note (or so I was told) that a customer prefers the 722k. Then when the installer called to come out I asked him if he had 722ks on his truck. Luckily he did. If he didn't, I would've canceled the install. I did this twice for two accounts. Also, again so I've heard, if you order a Sling Adapter, you won't receive a 622, and if you want the MT2 module, you won't receive a 722.

You're right, notes can be added to the work order. It's going to be at the whim of what's on the truck, I think. Would be great if an installer could chime in, and let us know if they read the notes that the CSRs put in the note field when the work order is created, and if they can indeed make sure they bring out the model intended.

Of course, there are a couple kinds of lease upgrade delivery/install methods. The CSR can choose to ship the new receiver, which is what would generally be done when replacing within the same family, or have it installed.

I do like your idea, to ask the CSR to add the note to the work order. I've mentioned before, most everyone here would agree, the regular posters here are far more "power users" that most Dish customers. Most customers don't know the difference between a 722 and a 722K, and don't care...they want a working receiver, and have no idea about processor speed. :)

Oh, and I also want to say, I have learned a lot in the time I had lurked this site before joining. Our tech training is limited to mostly what is inside the house, the discussions of antenna types, specifics, quirks, that I have seen here has all been educational and helpful. A lot of my co-workers lurk here, too.