Should I switch to Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spliff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I have Dish with a VIP 622. I have 1 HD and 1 SD TV in the bedroom.

I have been thinking about switching to Directv primarily because they have more HD and have PBS in HD in my location. With Dish, I love the convenience of having only 1 receiver and being able to watch my recorded shows in the bedroom (albeit in SD). Can Directv do the same, IE record the shows on my HD DVR and then be able to watch them in another room?

This is my biggest hangup with switching to Directv.

I have Dish with a VIP 622. I have 1 HD and 1 SD TV in the bedroom.

I have been thinking about switching to Directv primarily because they have more HD and have PBS in HD in my location. With Dish, I love the convenience of having only 1 receiver and being able to watch my recorded shows in the bedroom (albeit in SD). Can Directv do the same, IE record the shows on my HD DVR and then be able to watch them in another room?

This is my biggest hangup with switching to Directv.

The short answer is no. They are working on something that will allow you to watch your recordings thru another receiver, but right now it is going thru Beta testing. When and if you get D* you can join the CE testing group and help test this feature. In my opinion, you will be happy with D* as a whole, even though right now they don't offer that function at this time. I am sure it will happen eventually.

I big plus (IMHO) with what D* is doing is that you can view HD content in HD via the MRV connection, not a NTSC feed like E*'s solution.

So I would need 1 HD-DVR and 1 HD receiver, correct?
With what D*'s done so far with the MRV feature what would be correct. Even without a HD TV the HD picture feed looks soooo much better then the like SD channel.

I've been sorely tempted in the last two days to switch. Using the Satelliteguys referral, I can get:
1 Handling fee $0
1 HD Receiver $99
1 Plus HD-DVR $199
1 Instant online rebate -$199
1 Pro install $0
Startup cost $99

First month's bill:
Choice XTRA plus HD $72.99
HBO $14
Starz $11
Showtime $10
DirecTV DVR service $0
Lease Fee $4.99
Referral Credit -$10
HD access $0
$35/mo credit for HBO, SHO, STAR for 3 months
Total $67.98
Online Redemption -$23
Total $44.98 for 12 months ($23 credit per month for 12 months)

Good deal? Looks like it to me! Will this give me all the whiz-bang networked receivers etc provided I connect them to my cable modem network?

Thanks!!

I switched from dish about a month ago and I love DirecTV. I had the same set up as you and the transition is seamless, if you order online, you will probably get your HR-2:mad:HD-DVR) for free. I had to pay $100 for my H23 (HD Receiver) and got the SD receiver for free. I only pay about $75 a month with the Choice Xtra HD DVR pack which is about 15 less than what I paid for the top 250 pack with Dish. If you switch, you will love it.

I switched from dish about a month ago and I love DirecTV. I had the same set up as you and the transition is seamless, if you order online, you will probably get your HR-2:mad:HD-DVR) for free. I had to pay $100 for my H23 (HD Receiver) and got the SD receiver for free. I only pay about $75 a month with the Choice Xtra HD DVR pack which is about 15 less than what I paid for the top 250 pack with Dish. If you switch, you will love it.

Cool!

Could they re-use my Dish dish locations? My wife says, "No more holes on the house!"

they may have to run an extra line for the hd dvr , but call the dtv representative and request a SWM (swim) installation so they do not have to run that extra cable.

They reused everything that I had from dish except the LNB, you know the thing that points back to the dish. They had to put one or two extra holes on my balcony though. This wasn't so bad since this is where my Dish satellite was. But all of the wiring and holes in the wall would probably be reused.

From E* I also have a single dish on the roof and the receiver is fed by a single line. E* drilled one hold into the side of the building into my unit. I think the owners association might complain if I drill another. Does D* need to drill another line if I want 1 HD-DVR and a HD receiver?

From E* I also have a single dish on the roof and the receiver is fed by a single line. E* drilled one hold into the side of the building into my unit. I think the owners association might complain if I drill another. Does D* need to drill another line if I want 1 HD-DVR and a HD receiver?

If your installer put in a SWM LNB then it's only 1 coax line from the dish into the home. If you call to order I'd tell the rep that it must be a SWM LNB install or no deal. Even then if they say OK get the phone number of the installation company and tell them the same thing so the installer comes out with the corrrect hardware.

Thanks for the information! Now to convince my wife!
When I did a chat with Dish to see if they would meet Direc's prices, the first thing they told me was: "But you agreed to sign up with us for two years... and we saved you $120..." I told her, yes, but that was 24 hours ago and you haven't saved me anything yet...
Maybe the wrong response because she referred me to customer retentions at that point. Basically, they said no... Oh well.

I got a new offer for the same listed above but for $39 per month!! I went ahead and signed up. Now I have to cancel Dish. I re-upped a couple weeks ago ($10 off with contract) but have not been billed or actually even gone a month so I hope I can cancel OK. Basically, Dish has not YET saved me anything so I'm hoping to cancel smoothly. Oh, and no startup fees or DVR fees. I'll get 1 HD-DVR and 1 HD receiver, no fees. Sweetness!

It looks like I'm switching to Direct. I had a Dish 722 set up for FREE and after being with E* for 4 years they wouldn't do it without a credit card number. I agrued that we don't have any because of our credit card number being stolen two different times within a year. I can get D* without one mainly because I will bundle with our local phone company.

Jeff

Things went well with Dish. They tried to offer me a deal but really could not match DirecTV's. I am not leaving unhappy with Dish, but economically, the DirecTV deal was too good to pass up. I'm sure, in time, Dish will come out with one and once the contract expires with DirecTV, I will re-investigate Dish.
Dish canceled us out after our current billing cycle with no fees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)