Should I wait for a 922 or go with 722k?

akwebb81

Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
NC
Sorry for the double post, it may get deleted I know. However, I wasn't sure who checks the other topic so I wanted to try here also.

I'm considering ditching TWC as their compression/crowded signals are killing me. In an effort to find a replacement, I am heavily considering Dish. Question is, should I wait for the 922 or just get a 722k w/ ota module? What has been everyone who has beta'd it thought in comparison to the 722? I'm not absolutely sold on it for the sling capabilities, but more of the internet access. Do you think that you could access netflix from the interface and watch netflix on the box? Any idea on the actual release date on this and costs/requirements? Lots of questions, I know, thanks for your assistance.

Well, seeing how buggy the 722k was when it came out, Id get a 722k now and let the 922 be out for 6 months or so.

Early adoption of dvr's can be rough, especially when it fails to perform its main duty reliably, which is record shows.

Im not to keen on the new remote for the 922.

You should read those threads where ppl already exposed initial experience withe 922. Score is not in favor of it.

I'm not sure how you are keeping score. I've read every 922 post on this site. Some people have problems with the remote and some of the features are not yet implemented in the beta testing, but the majority of posts that I have read have been very positive about the 922. I would say the score IS in favor of it. Just my reading of the situation.

The 922 is being beta tested, and it is not fair to come to conclusions about the box as many features are just now being activated. It is clear, however, that the 922 is not as far enough along in the process to market to make anything but a fall or even very late fall availability to all subs. If they encounter enough bugs in the beta, we may not see this thing until 2010! Let's hope sooner than later.

If you want Dish now, than the 722K is a go.

The 722k has a few quirks as well but works mostly without problems. Some of the quirks I have noticed.

1. The receiver will not turn on with the select button hit on the remote contol . It only will turn on when I hit the sat button on the remote control . Sometimes I have to hit the select button on the front of the receiver itself to turn it on.
2. Some problems when you try to delete the movie on your external hard drive. Sometimes the sat channels will show black screen or the show will not continue recording.
3. Remote control issues. Mostly my tv 2 wasn't working but went back and read the manual and moved my receiver to the top shelf of the a/v console and my problems went away.

Another big issue is the 922 use of the new funky remote and the question if you will even be able to control it with on industry standard universal remote like the Harmony 1 or 1000?

I decided to go with the 722k now vs waiting for the 922 mainly because of that one specific issue. If DN changes their remote strategy then I want receivers that will work with my investment in universal remotes.

I have not heard anything that all the swipes, etc will be supported with button presses on a universal remote.

That's YOUR score, mine is opposite.

Perhaps you affiliate somehow with Dish ? Owning stock ? Working for DNS ?

Just to clear the air. I am not affiliated with Dish, do not own stock and do not work for DNS. We just have different opinions.

Thanks for the input. After looking at things, it does sound like the 922 is a LONG way off from mainstream. I love how technology is hyped at shows and the companies pander to everyone by putting out a release date that they know isn't even close to the actual timeline. Not that it really matters, it is just a dvr, but it is a relentless game they play. I don't mind being an early adopter, but yes, if it doesn't do it's job reliably as a dvr, then it is worthless, no matter the features. I may just stay with cable for now, I actually got a tech who worked some magic and for the time being, no more pixelation:)

I have a feeling this is going to be a great receiver. It may have bugs now, but if it works the way it should, this thing will be a lot of fun. I think my only grief with it right now is the remote, but i'm sure I could get use to it just like anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts