Should we switch to DirectTV from Dish?

Kassy

Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
We have had Dish for 7 years and are fairly happy with it, but we want a DVR preferrably with dual tuner. Right now we only have one receiver and would like to add one on. I know about the 721 and would love one, but don't want to pay that much. I would probably even try a 522, but of course they aren't available to me. I can get a 2 room DirectTV with Tivo installed for $49. I called Dish and was offered a 510 for $99 plus two $5 monthly fees. I'm not impressed with that. DirectTV's package is more monthly and they said I would have to wait up to 45 days for my network channels after filing the paperwork. If I use my billing address which is a rural route and box # I'm not eligible for NBC, but if I use my street name I am. Do you think I can get by with that? We actually watch quite a bit on NBC and I don't want to lose it. I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

I'm confused by one thing..

DirectTV's package is more monthly and they said I would have to wait up to 45 days for my network channels after filing the paperwork. If I use my billing address which is a rural route and box # I'm not eligible for NBC, but if I use my street name I am.

Is your billing address different than your street address? The reason I ask is my "physical" address at my lake house (where Dish has my service) was a rural route & box # until 1/1/04. When it changed over to an E-911 address (street address), I still qualified for the same thing. Can you not get locals where you are, but you qualify for distants? Im assuming the 45 day thing is for a waiver from whatever NBC is remotelly near your location.

When you setup the account, you CAN have a different physical address and billing address.

Iceberg said:
I'm confused by one thing..

Is your billing address different than your street address? The reason I ask is my "physical" address at my lake house (where Dish has my service) was a rural route & box # until 1/1/04. When it changed over to an E-911 address (street address), I still qualified for the same thing. Can you not get locals where you are, but you qualify for distants? Im assuming the 45 day thing is for a waiver from whatever NBC is remotelly near your location.

When you setup the account, you CAN have a different physical address and billing address.

My billing address is a rural route and box #. This is the address we use for mail, almost everything. But I put in the name of our road just to check and see what it said and it says we are eligible. We can't get locals. We get New York City stations.

What I would do is use the street address for the physical and use the RR & Box # for the mailing, since your mailman would know that. You can set it up that way, then you would be qualified for NY &/or LA

Without hesitation switch to Directv the TiVo is so much better than DISH 510,522 and the crazy idea DISH has that you should pay $4.98 for each DVR rather than DirecTV's $4.99 per account. I would even suggest getting a second TiVo it should cost you an additional $99 but is well worth it. I agree with Iceberg use the street address for residence and set up the mailing address as your rural route number.

I gave Dish a try and was very disappointed. They took 2 1/2 months to get the system intalled, 522, 322 and SuperDish. The "new" 522 had a problem with the 2nd tuner and both receivers had low signal strength and kept dropping out. The dish had a clear line of site. I think it is just harder for a tech to tweak in the SuperDish. After 2 days, I told them to cancel and pickup the equipment.

I have been with DirecTV for 2 years and called Customer Retention. I got a new DS704R for free. It's a dual tuner Tivo and I have been pleased so far. I also have a UTV that I have been using to 2 years. I would recommend switching to DirecTV.

Kassy,

On the dealer Charlie Chat, today, there is a report that the 510 will be available for $99 with a one year commitment for current subs. DVR fee will be waived "for that period."

I switched from E* to D* a month ago and I'm happy. The D* hardware is MUCH better then the E* stuff and the Tivo's capabilities vs. E*'s PVR is great. Also, D* charges only $4.99/month per account for PVR's, have has many as you want, E* charges the $4.99 per PVR, so that could add up.

I would love to use D*, but am going to wait for a standalone HD TiVo. I am a Technical Architect and work on network security issues as a part of my job. DTV decided to try to extort money from me and threatened a lawsuit because I bought a smartcard programmer. That alone will keep me from ever using DTV, unless the company would publicly apologize to me. (that's not going to happen). I think that everyone should know this. DTV is crooked.

After an experience with a rude DISH CSR this morning concerning our billing we are considering the switch to Directv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)