Shows disappearing from my recordings

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
For some reason I keep having random shows disappear from my recordings. So far they all seem to be PTAT shows. I have series timers for "all new" episodes of all the PTAT shows that I watch. And many of these shows end up having 3,4,or even 5 episodes recorded before I get around to watching them. But I've noticed several times where I may have had 4 episodes recorded of a show. And when I go to watch one of them I notice it only shows 2 or 3 episodes in the DVR. Often I will look at the episode guides on TV.com to make sure I haven't missed any, but often find there has been an episode aired that's not in my DVR. Last week I noticed I only had one episode of Blue Bloods recorded, which seemed odd because I haven't watched one in a while. So after checking out the episode guide I noticed there was an episode that aired before the one I have recorded and I've never seen it. So I went online and watched that episode to catch up. But now I've noticed the episode that I had in the DVR is now gone as well.

If I wasn't so anal on making sure I don't miss any episodes, then I could very easily have never noticed they were even gone. Especially when there's over 100 total shows on the DVR. I'm just wondering if this is happening to other people as well but nobody's noticing?

I'm having the same issue with my setup. I just turned PTAT off today to see if that resolves the problem.

I also have the problem with both Hoppers. I lost the season finale of NCIS LA on both Hoppers. We always save desired shows from PTAT the day after they are recorded. Like other posters it only seems to happening on PTAT shows. I don't use timers for these shows but I may have to try that to see if it helps.

oldengineer said:
I also have the problem with both Hoppers. I lost the season finale of NCIS LA on both Hoppers. We always save desired shows from PTAT the day after they are recorded. Like other posters it only seems to happening on PTAT shows. I don't use timers for these shows but I may have to try that to see if it helps.

It hasn't helped me. I use timers for all my shows and I've lost several of them since I've had my hopper. I really love this system but when I start losing shows it makes me wish I still had my 722. I never had any issues with losing shows on the 722.

I had the same problem with "Awake". I had the final 4 episode on my Hopper, but when i went to watch them the other night, there were only 2 saved.

I had a show marked as recorded in the Daily Schedule and yet it is not in my recordings. This was not with PTAT.

I wonder if this is an issue that Dish is aware of? Is there any DIRT members that's read this thread and can answer that question?

This is not listed on the known product issues. If you are experiencing this issue can you please send me a PM with your account information, software version and what channel(s) this is happening on?

Last edited:
I PMed Zach with info about losing NCIS LA and Missing episodes. I also called Dish this morning and talked to Tech Support about it. They said I was the first sub to report this problem.

Just thought I'd add that my wife was a little less than pleased with our new Hopper setup (just converted from cable) when the two final episodes of "Smash" disappeared. Software version S212. Very stable otherwise.

I am having the same problem. It started a week ago. Just lost a show again today. Very annoying.

Of the few dozen Hopper systems I've installed, this is the only problem reported. (Besides one that died after the first week.) Random shows disappear after reporting that they have recorded successfully. The two I recall off the top of my head were ncis on a local and some movie recorded on cinemax.

I also noticed this same issue it seems to happen on my PTAT recording, strangely the season finales. I have the save series set the only thing I changes in the times was to only save new, not new and reruns.

Thanks
Shawn

The strange thing for me was that the show did actually appear in my recorded list. I tried to play it and just got a black screen. I was able to exit out and try again with the same result. Figured a reboot couldn't hurt, and when it came back up that recording had disappeared. Sometime over the next few days the remaining recording for this show disappeared. So we lost the second-to-last and the finale of the show within a few days of each other. Don't know how much of that detail has any bearing, but figured I'd mention it.

TimA said:
The strange thing for me was that the show did actually appear in my recorded list. I tried to play it and just got a black screen. I was able to exit out and try again with the same result. Figured a reboot couldn't hurt, and when it came back up that recording had disappeared. Sometime over the next few days the remaining recording for this show disappeared. So we lost the second-to-last and the finale of the show within a few days of each other. Don't know how much of that detail has any bearing, but figured I'd mention it.

It's funny you mention the black screen. I tried to watch a couple different episodes of Punked tonight that I've had recorded for a while and all I could get on either one was a black screen. I've had episodes disappearing for a while now but that's the first issue I've had with the black screens.

Had a black screen issue last night...went to record inside the nba and it had already started...when it was over with I tried to start it and got a black screen...when I was able to finally get out of it I got a red error message

Finally went to watch the Desperate Housewives two hour finale from three weeks ago and noticed it had vanished. I know it was still there just a few days ago. Is it only a problem with PTAT recordings that are also set as series timers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts